Whole30 Steak with Gravy
This Whole30 Steak with Gravy is comfort food at its best! The steak is tender, flavorful and hearty. Add in a homemade beef gravy, slow cooked caramelized onions, and you’ve got one healthy and delicious meal. This high protein, low carb dinner is one you will be making time and time again.
LIST OF INGREDIENTS
NY STRIP STEAKS: I highly recommend a NY Strip Steak. They are incredibly tender and flavorful. Since they’re so tender, these steaks will really soak in the beef gravy.
OLIVE OIL: Olive oil is the choice of cooking fat here. This healthy fat is rich and adds a depth of flavor.
THYME: In addition to sea salt and pepper, these steaks are seasoned with thyme. This adds the right amount of flavor – just enough without being overpowering.
WHITE ONION: A white onion is great for making caramelized onions. Cooking onions low and slow leads them to become caramelized. This touch of sweetness works in contrast to the hearty steaks.
BEEF BROTH: The base of the gravy is beef broth. Beef broth is a savory cooking liquid that is made from the simmering of bones, vegetables and meats.
COCONUT CREAM: Coconut cream comes in a can and adds a ton of creamy texture to the gravy. It’s dairy free so it’s the perfect way to make the gravy creamy while following Whole30 or Paleo.
TAPIOCA FLOUR: Tapioca flour is the grain and gluten free version of cornstarch. It’s used to thicken the gravy.
CHOOSING THE RIGHT CUT OF MEAT
Steak is only as good as the cut of meat. I used NY Strip Steak here because it doesn’t require much more than a simple dry rub. It’s very flavorful on its own and soaks up the gravy perfectly. The marbling effect leads to flavor throughout the steak. Steaks can be boneless or bone in. Bone in steaks usually require a slightly longer cooking time. Click HERE for the NY Strip Steaks I use every single time.
HOW TO MAKE WHOLE30 STEAK WITH HOMEMADE GRAVY
First, in a cast iron skillet over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Season both sides of each steak with pepper, thyme, and sea salt and place steaks into skillet.
Sear steaks for 3 to 4 minutes on each side before removing from pan.
Next, chop up an onion. Add onion and 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the pan. Turn heat down to low and cook onions on low for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Once onions have caramelized, add in all gravy ingredients except tapioca flour to the skillet. Cook for 2 minutes. Remove 1/4 cup of the gravy from the pan and place in a small bowl. Whisk in tapioca flour to this bowl. Once combined, pour into the skillet. Bring gravy to a boil. Once boiling, lower heat to a simmer. This will thicken the gravy considerably.
Lastly, place steaks back in the skillet. Cook for another 10 to 12 minutes or until gravy has thickened and steak is cooked through to your liking.
Serve steak and caramelized onions over mashed potatoes if desired. Drizzle additional gravy on top.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH STEAK
Since the steak and gravy are bold flavors, pair this steak with a subtle side dish. Mashed potatoes, roasted vegetables, or cauliflower rice would work well. A simple side salad pairs well with steak too! Check out this Air Fryer Ribeye Steak for another great recipe!
Get the Recipe: Whole30 Steak with Gravy
- First, heat cast iron skillet over medium heat and add 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Season both sides of steak with pepper, thyme and sea salt and place steaks into skillet.
- Sear steaks for 3 to 4 minutes on each side before removing from pan.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil to the pan and cut onion. Turn heat to low and cook onions for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until caramelized.
- Once caramelized, add coconut cream, beef broth, garlic and onion powder to the skillet. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Next, remove 1/4 cup of the gravy in the skillet and add it to a small bowl. Whisk in tapioca flour to this bowl.
- Once combined, pour into the skillet and bring gravy to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Once boiling, lower heat to a simmer.
- Lastly, place steaks back in the skillet and cook for another 10 to 12 minutes or until steak is cooked through and gravy has thickened.
- Serve steak and onions over mashed potatoes if desired. Drizzle gravy on top.