This is the best creamy vegan oatmeal recipe! It takes just 5 minutes and 5 easy ingredients. Add your favorite toppings, flavors, and add-ins for a customized oatmeal recipe. It is great for a quick and easy breakfast, brunch, filling afternoon snack, or even a healthy dessert!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Oats are a nutritional powerhouse, packed with fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
- They can help lower cholesterol levels, regulate blood sugar, and keep you feeling full for longer.
- Perfect for anyone!
- This vegan oatmeal recipe takes only 5 minutes.
- Only 5 simple ingredients are required.
- Great for any time of the day.
- Make it for busy weekdays or slow weekends.
- You can tailor your vegan oatmeal to suit your taste preferences and dietary needs, making it a versatile option for everyone.
- This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, egg free, vegan, vegetarian, nut free, and refined sugar free.
- Check out these Vegan Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies for another fun oatmeal recipe!
Ingredients & Substitutes
These are the ingredients and substitutions for this vegan oatmeal recipe. Scroll down to the bottom for the full recipe.
Use rolled oats for the best texture. They become much softer than instant oats.
Canned coconut milk is so smooth and creamy! It helps make these oats super thick and creamy.
Vanilla extract adds a cozy flavor.
Pure maple syrup adds natural sweetness. Replace with agave nectar or date syrup if needed.
Cinnamon adds a warm flavor.
Lastly, add your favorite toppings! I love adding chopped nuts on top for added crunch. Or, add a drizzle of peanut butter, maple syrup, or melted vegan chocolate.
Taste & Texture
This vegan oatmeal has a creamy and comforting texture. It has a subtle nutty flavor from the oats.
The coconut milk makes this dairy free oatmeal extra thick and creamy!
Add your favorite toppings for even more flavor and texture.
How to Make
To begin, all ingredients to a medium saucepan over low medium heat.
Stir consistently, for 4 to 5 minutes, until the mixture reaches your desired consistency. The longer it cooks, the thicker the oatmeal will become.
Then, remove the saucepan from the heat. Transfer the vegan oatmeal into bowls and serve!
Finally, top with more ground cinnamon and a drizzle of maple syrup if desired.
Expert Tips for Success
Follow these tips and tricks for making the best vegan oatmeal.
Use rolled oats for the best texture.
Rolled oats are the best for oatmeal because they offer a good balance of nutrition, texture, and cooking time.
Sweeten your oatmeal with natural sweeteners like maple syrup, agave nectar, or mashed bananas instead of refined sugars.
Adjust the thickness of your oatmeal by varying the amount of milk. More liquid yields a thinner consistency, while less liquid creates a thicker, heartier oatmeal.
Constantly stir the oatmeal to prevent burning.
The longer it cooks, the thicker it will become.
Flavor Variations & Add-Ins
Consider these fun flavor variations for vegan oatmeal.
Fruit Lovers: Add fresh or dried fruits like berries, apples, or raisins for a burst of natural sweetness.
Nutty Delights: Sprinkle chopped nuts (almonds, walnuts, or pecans) for extra crunch and healthy fats.
Spice It Up: Experiment with spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, or cardamom to elevate the flavor profile.
Protein Power: Incorporate plant-based protein sources like chia seeds, flaxseeds, or pea protein for added nutrition.
Nut Butter: Drizzle some peanut butter, almond butter, or cashew butter on top.
How to Serve & Store
To serve, ladle this warm vegan oatmeal into a bowl. Top with your favorite toppings.
Leftovers can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 to 3 days.
Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop. Add a splash of milk to maintain creaminess.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Yes, you can. Quick oats cook faster, so adjust your cooking time accordingly, and expect a slightly softer texture.
Yes, you can use certified gluten-free oats to make this recipe gluten-free.
While it’s best enjoyed fresh, you can freeze portions in airtight containers for up to a month. Thaw and reheat when needed.
Quaker Oats are naturally vegan. Cook them in water or plant-based milk.
Vegan oatmeal is made with plant-based milk or water. Do not use regular milk.
Saucepan: Make the cinnamon spice oatmeal in this saucepan.
Check out all of my kitchen favorites!
You May Also Enjoy
- Banana Oatmeal Peanut Butter Cookies
- Overnight Oats with Protein Powder
- Banana Oatmeal Cookies
- Flourless Oatmeal Cookies
- 3 Ingredient Banana Oatmeal Cookies
If you make this easy healthy vegan oatmeal recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along! Check out these Breakfast Recipes for more great ideas.
Get the Recipe: Vegan Oatmeal
- To start, add all ingredients to a medium saucepan over low medium heat.
- Stir consistently, for 4 to 5 minutes, until the mixture reaches your desired consistency. The longer it cooks, the thicker the oatmeal will become.
- Then, remove the saucepan from the heat. Transfer the vegan oatmeal into bowls and serve.
- Finally, top with more ground cinnamon and coconut milk if desired!
- Use rolled oats for the best texture. They are softer than instant oats.
- Use any type of plant based milk. Almond milk, cashew milk, and oat milk work well too.
- Constantly stir the oatmeal to prevent burning.
- The longer it cooks, the thicker this oatmeal will become.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Love this homemade vegan oatmeal recipe? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!