Vegan Mashed Potatoes
These vegan mashed potatoes are a delicious and creamy side dish perfect for any occasion! They are made with simple ingredients that you probably have in your pantry. These soft and fluffy potatoes are the perfect dish for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and the holidays. Everyone loves them and nobody can tell they are vegan!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
There are many reasons why you will love this recipe for the best vegan mashed potatoes!
- They are easy and quick to make.
- This recipe is perfect for anyone, especially vegans and vegetarians.
- They are incredibly delicious.
- The mashed potatoes are creamy and flavorful, with a fluffy texture.
- In addition, they are versatile.
- You can customize the recipe to your liking by adding different herbs, spices, or toppings.
- This healthy side dish is perfect for any occasion.
- This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, nut free, egg free, and vegan. In addition, there is no added sugar.
- Vegan mashed potatoes are a great side dish for potlucks, parties, or simply a weeknight meal.
- Serve them for busy weeknights, Thanksgiving dinner, Christmas dinner, and more.
- Check out these Dairy Free Mashed Potatoes as well!
Ingredients & Substitutes
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for these easy vegan mashed potatoes. Scroll down to the recipe card for the full ingredients list and instructions.
For the potatoes, use Russet potatoes or Yukon gold potatoes. I have made this recipe both ways many times. They are my favorite variety of potatoes for making mashed potatoes.
Sea salt and pepper add flavor. Feel free to adjust these amounts to suit your taste.
Roasted garlic makes these potatoes incredibly flavorful! I highly recommend freshly roasted garlic for the best flavor. If needed, use garlic powder. You will love these vegan garlic mashed potatoes!
Vegan butter adds a classic buttery flavor without the dairy. Earth Balance is my favorite brand. If needed, use olive oil instead.
Lastly, garnish with fresh herbs if desired.
Taste & Texture
The vegan mashed potatoes are super creamy and fluffy! They taste and feel like classic mashed potatoes.
The vegan butter adds richness and creaminess to the mashed potatoes. In addition, the herbs and spices add a depth of flavor.
How to Make
First, wash and dry the potatoes. Peel them if desired. Slice into 1-inch cubes.
Place the potatoes in a large saucepan. Cover with water.
Bring to a boil. Boil for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the potatoes are very tender. Add slightly more water as needed.
Next, drain the potatoes in a strainer. Return the potato chunks to the hot saucepan. Add in the sea salt, pepper, roasted garlic cloves, and vegan butter. Use a potato masher or fork to mash.
For very smooth potatoes, add the mixture to a blender or food processor.
Lastly, serve these vegan mashed potatoes! Top with fresh thyme if desired.
Expert Tips for Success
Here are a few expert tips and tricks for making the best vegan mashed potatoes.
Use Yukon Gold or Russet potatoes. These types of potatoes are best for mashing because they are high in starch. They also become very creamy.
Cook the potatoes until they are very tender. This will help ensure that the mashed potatoes are creamy and fluffy.
For smoother mashed potatoes, peel the potatoes.
Alternatively, do not peel the potatoes for a more rustic feel.
Use a potato masher or ricer to mash the potatoes. This will help to create a light and fluffy texture.
Season the mashed potatoes with salt, pepper, and herbs to taste.
Flavor Variations & Add-Ins
You can easily customize this recipe to your liking by adding different herbs, spices, or toppings. Here are a few ideas.
Add garlic powder, onion powder, or paprika for a savory flavor.
Try chives, parsley, or dill for a fresh flavor.
Add nutritional yeast for a cheesy flavor.
Top the mashed potatoes with vegan cheese, roasted vegetables, or more vegan butter.
Instant Pot Method
To make these mashed potatoes in the Instant Pot, follow these easy steps.
- First, peel the potatoes. Cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Place the potato cubes at the bottom of the Instant Pot. Cover fully with water.
- Pressure cook on high for 8 minutes.
- When the timer goes off, manually release the pressure.
- Drain. Return the potato chunks to the pot.
- Add in the seasonings, vegan butter, and fresh herbs. Mash with a potato masher.
How to Serve & Store
Vegan mashed potatoes are best served hot and fresh.
Top with some vegan gravy if desired.
They are great for a family Thanksgiving feast, Christmas dinner, holiday party, and more.
For a lower carb option, make this Mashed Cauliflower.
However, they can also be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat the mashed potatoes, simply microwave them on low heat until they are warmed through. Stir before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Yes, you can use any type of plant milk in this recipe. However, I recommend using unsweetened plant milk, such as coconut milk, almond milk, or oat milk.
To check if the potatoes are cooked through, insert a fork into the center of the potato. If the fork slides in easily, the potato is cooked through.
They are made with potatoes, vegan butter, sea salt, pepper, garlic, and thyme.
To replace the butter, use olive oil.
Yes, you can freeze mashed potatoes. Freeze them after adding in the butter. They thaw and reheat well.
This is totally up to you! Peel the potatoes for a creamy and smooth result. Leave the skin on for a more rustic flavor.
Food Processor: Use this food processor to make the mashed potatoes even more creamy.
Saucepan: Boil the potatoes in this saucepan.
Potato Masher: Use a potato masher to mash the potatoes.
Check out all of my kitchen favorites!
You May Also Enjoy
- Sous Vide Potatoes
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup
- Green Beans and Potatoes
- Air Fryer Diced Potatoes
- Whole30 Mashed Potatoes
If you make this vegan mashed potato recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Join my exclusive Facebook Group for a behind the scenes look. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, see these Vegan Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Vegan Mashed Potatoes
- First, wash and dry the potatoes. Peel them if desired.. Slice into 1 inch cubes.
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan. Cover fully with water.
- Bring to a boil. Boil for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the potatoes are very tender. Add slightly more water as needed.
- Next, drain the potatoes in a strainer. Return the potato chunks to the hot saucepan. Add in the sea salt, pepper, roasted garlic cloves, and vegan butter. Use a potato masher or fork to mash.
- For very smooth potatoes, add the mixture to a blender or food processor.
- Finally, serve these vegan mashed potatoes! Top with fresh thyme if desired.
- Wash and dry the potatoes.
- Use Yukon gold or Russet potatoes for this recipe.
- For creamier mashed potatoes, peel them. For a more hearty texture, do not peel them.
- I love using Earth Balance vegan buttery sticks.
- Boil until the potatoes are very tender.
- For extra creamy potatoes, blend them in a blender or food processor.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Enjoy these homemade vegan mashed potatoes!