4 Ingredient Potato Soup
This 4 ingredient potato soup is incredibly creamy, warm and hearty. This cozy dish is quick and easy to make. It is great as a main meal, appetizer or side dish. Add all your favorite toppings for an irresistible soup!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This 4 ingredient potato soup is so creamy!
- It is quick and easy to make.
- Everything is made in one skillet.
- This soup can be as smooth or as chunky as you prefer.
- Feel free to add your favorite toppings for a customizable soup.
- This recipe is gluten free, and can be easily made Whole30, Paleo, dairy free and nut free.
- Check out this Whole30 Creamy Chicken Soup for another great recipe.
Ingredients & Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for 4 ingredient potato soup. Scroll down to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
Chop onion finely. White onion and sweet onion are both great options. I do not recommend red onion.
Butter adds a great buttery flavor to this soup. In addition, it helps cook the onion. For dairy free, use dairy free butter. Olive oil would not produce the same creamy texture.
Russet potatoes are the best option for this soup. They become soft and tender once cooked. If desired, Yukon gold potatoes are another great option.
Any type of milk works. For Whole30 and Paleo, use dairy free milk. Use regular milk for nut free. For these photos, I used unsweetened almond milk.
Garlic powder adds a great slight garlic flavor! Feel free to add in a pinch of salt and pepper as well.
Lastly, add your favorite toppings. Crispy bacon, chopped green onions and shredded cheese are great options.
Taste & Texture
This 4 ingredient potato soup tastes like mashed potato in soup form! The toppings chosen will also add a strong flavor.
The texture is so creamy. I blended mine until smooth and creamy. For a thicker, chunkier soup, do not blend as long.
How to Make
First, add diced onion and 1 tablespoon butter to a large skillet over medium heat. Cook for 5 minutes or until onions are softened.
Remove onions to a plate. Add diced potatoes to skillet. Add enough water to cover potatoes.
Bring to a boil. Then, boil for 18 to 20 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
Drain out the majority of the water, keeping about ½ cup of water in the skillet. Add in the remaining 3 tablespoons butter, milk and garlic powder. Stir together.
Add all ingredients to a food processor. Next, pulse until desired consistency is reached.
Finally, ladle into bowls. If desired, garnish with crispy bacon, green onions and shredded cheese.
Instant Pot Method
This is how to make this 4 ingredient potato soup in the Instant Pot.
- Add 1 tablespoon butter and diced onion to Instant Pot. Sauté for 4 to 5 minutes, until onions are soft.
- Press cancel.
- Add in remaining ingredients. Pressure cook on high for 10 minutes.
- Quickly release pressure.
- Stir until combined. Then, transfer contents to a food processor.
- Process until creamy.
- Finally, top with desired toppings.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Dice onion finely.
Use Russet potatoes or Yukon gold potatoes for the best texture.
Cube potatoes into equally sized 1 inch cubes.
Cook the potatoes until they are soft and tender. This will yield a very creamy soup!
Add in sea salt and pepper to suit your taste.
In addition, add your favorite toppings.
How to Serve & Store
Serve 4 ingredient potato soup hot and fresh! Add toppings such as crispy bacon, chopped green onions and shredded cheese.
This soup goes well with a crusty piece of gluten free bread!
Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days. This soup does not freeze well.
Frequently Asked Questions
For a thicker soup, add slightly less milk. In addition, only blend the soup for a few seconds. The longer the soup blends, the thinner it will become.
Yukon gold and Russet potatoes are best for soup.
Bacon and cheese go well with potato soup. Serve with a piece of gluten free bread if desired.
Toppings include bacon, green onions, and shredded cheese.
No, I do not recommend freezing this soup.
You May Also Like
If you make this 4 ingredient potato soup recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Dinner Recipes.
Get the Recipe: 4 Ingredient Potato Soup
- ½ cup onion, diced finely
- 4 tbsp butter, divided
- 2 pounds Russet potatoes, rinsed, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp garlic powder, optional
- First, add diced onion and 1 tablespoon butter to a large skillet over medium heat. Cook for 5 minutes or until onions are softened.
- Remove onions to a plate. Add diced potatoes to pan. Add enough water to cover potatoes.
- Bring to a boil. Boil for 18 to 20 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Drain out most of the water, keeping about ½ cup of water in skillet. Add in remaining 3 tablespoons butter, milk and garlic powder. Stir together.
- Add all ingredients to a food processor. Pulse until desired consistency is reached.
- Finally, ladle into bowls. Stir in salt and pepper to suit your taste. If desired, garnish with crispy bacon, green onions and shredded cheese.
- Finely chop onion. Cook until soft and tender, but not burnt.
- Rinse, peel and chop potatoes into 1 inch cubes. This allows them to cook faster.
- Add sea salt and pepper to taste.
- This soup is great with bacon, green onions and cheese on top!
- For Whole30, use grass fed butter and almond milk.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Love this 4 ingredient potato soup? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!