These sauteed carrots are soft and tender inside and crispy on the outside! This quick and easy recipe takes only 15 minutes total. Great for a side dish, appetizer, leftovers and meal prep. This is the easiest way to cook carrots. This healthy recipe is made with only 4 ingredients. It is suitable for many diets and lifestyles!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- These sauteed carrots are quick and easy.
- Only 15 minutes total needed.
- Everything is made in one skillet.
- Only 4 ingredients.
- They are versatile and great for many main dishes.
- Pair with chicken, beef, steak, pork or seafood.
- Great for Christmas dinner, Easter brunch, holidays, entertaining and family dinners.
- Both kids and adults love this recipe.
- This recipe is Whole30 compliant, Paleo, low carb, healthy, vegan, gluten free, dairy free, nut free and sugar free.
- Check out these Air Fryer Carrots or this Sweet Potato Rice for another great veggie dish!
Ingredients & Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for sauteed carrots. Scroll down to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
Use one pound large carrots. Wash, scrub and dry completely. Then, slice diagonally. If using baby carrots, cut each one in half. Feel free to use rainbow carrots.
Olive oil helps the carrots become crispy on the outside. Keeping the lid on the skillet makes the carrots tender inside. Feel free to use avocado oil. For a buttery flavor, use butter. Or, use coconut oil.
A sprinkle of sea salt really elevates these carrots. A little bit goes a long way!
Lastly, garnish sauteed carrots with fresh herbs. Basil, oregano, thyme and rosemary are great options.
Taste & Texture
These sauteed carrots taste like regular carrots. The sea salt adds a salty flavor. No flavor surprises here.
These carrots are soft and tender inside. They are not too firm. The outside becomes slightly crispy.
How to Make
First, wash carrots. Dry them completely. Slice them diagonally into ¼ inch slices.
Add olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Place sliced carrots into pan. Place lid on top.
Allow carrots to cook for 5 minutes without touching the lid. Then, remove lid and stir carrots gently.
Cook for another 3 minutes. Remove lid and stir again. Next, add sea salt to the carrots.
Finally, cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. Then remove lid. Once carrots are fork tender, remove from heat.
Lastly, serve sauteed carrots with fresh herbs.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Wash and scrub carrots. This cleans them thoroughly.
Then, pat carrots completely dry.
Slice diagonally. Slicing vegetables diagonally allows more of the veggie’s surface area to touch the heat. This allows them to cook more quickly.
Keep the lid on the skillet for the initial 5 minutes. The steam created will help cook the carrots.
Gently stir carrots every 3 minutes after that to prevent burning.
Flavor Variations & Add Ins
There are some flavor variations and add ins for sauteed carrots.
Make them taco flavored. Add in some cumin and paprika.
Add in garlic powder and onion powder.
For a sweeter option, add in cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg.
Once cooked, add in drizzle of maple syrup or honey.
Toss with sea salt and black pepper.
Add in BBQ dry seasoning.
Saute with cabbage, mushrooms or onions.
Add in bacon bits once cooked.
Drizzle tahini on top.
How to Serve & Store
Serve sauteed carrots once fork tender.
Serve by themselves or with your choice of dressing or dipping sauce.
A drizzle of maple syrup or honey adds sweetness.
Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
To reheat, add carrots to a skillet with a drizzle of olive oil. Saute until warm.
Frequently Asked Questions
Cook carrots all the way through. Then, serve with sauce. A little bit of salt helps add falvor.
Yes, these are healthy and good for you.
Yes, this recipe is naturally gluten free.
This recipe is Whole30, Paleo, low carb, gluten free, dairy free, vegan, sugar free and nut free.
Rosemary, thyme, oregano and basil pair well with carrots.
Yes. Freeze for up to 2 months if needed.
Our Place Always Pan: This is such an amazing pan for roasting, sautéing and cooking. It comes with a lid and wooden spatula.
You May Also Like
- Roasted Cauliflower and Asparagus
- Banana Carrot Muffins
- Paleo Carrot Cake
- Paleo Carrot Cake Cookies
- Oxtail Stew
If you make this sauteed carrots recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Join my exclusive Facebook Group for a behind the scenes look. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Side Dish recipes.
Get the Recipe: Sauteed Carrots
- First, wash and scrub carrots. Dry completely. Slice them diagonally into ¼ inch slices.
- Add olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Place sliced carrots into pan. Place lid on pan.
- Allow carrots to cook for 5 minutes without touching the lid. Then, remove lid and stir carrots gently.
- Cook for another 3 minutes. Then remove lid and stir again. Add sea salt to the carrots.
- Finally, cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. Then remove lid. Once carrots are fork tender, remove from heat.
- Lastly, serve with fresh herbs.
- Completely wash and dry carrots.
- Peeling the carrots is optional.
- Slice carrots diagonally.
- Resist the urge to remove the lid from the skillet. This helps trap the steam and cook the carrots.
- Be sure to stir carrots every few minutes after the initial 5 minute cooking time. This prevents burning.
- Carrots are done when a fork is easily inserted.
- Store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Love these pan sauteed carrots? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!