These sourdough muffins are so soft, fluffy and flavorful! The sourdough gives them such a unique and unforgettable flavor. They are made in one mixing bowl and take less than 25 minutes total. These muffins are great for an easy breakfast, afternoon snack or healthier dessert!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- These sourdough muffins are quick and easy to make.
- Only one mixing bowl.
- Other than sourdough discard, only pantry staple ingredients needed.
- Only 25 minutes from start to finish.
- These muffins are great any time of the day. So is this Sourdough Banana Bread!
- They can be made with gluten free ingredients.
- In addition, use coconut sugar and unsweetened chocolate to make them refined sugar free.
- They are fluffy and soft.
- This recipe can be made gluten free, refined sugar free, nut free and dairy free.
- Check out these Sourdough Chocolate Chip Cookies for another fun recipe!
Ingredients & Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for sourdough muffins. Scroll down to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
Both regular and gluten free sourdough discard can be used. For the best flavor, use sourdough discard that is at least 10 days old. Stir before measuring.
Both gluten free 1 to 1 flour and all purpose flour work well. Do not use another flour.
For sweetness, use light brown sugar or coconut sugar. If needed, white sugar can be used. Coconut sugar is a great refined sugar free option. Moreover, maple sugar works too.
Baking powder helps these muffins rise.
Add in a pinch of sea salt if desired.
Only one egg needed.
Both regular milk and dairy free milk work. For these photos, I used oat milk. To keep these nut free, use cow’s milk, coconut milk or oat milk.
A little vanilla adds a warm homemade flavor.
Oil adds moisture. Use avocado oil, vegetable oil or melted coconut oil.
Lastly, add in chocolate chips or chunks if desired.
Scroll down to the flavor variations section for more ideas.
Taste & Texture
These sourdough muffins taste like chocolate chip muffins with a deeper flavor. The sourdough adds a slight tangy flavor.
The texture is soft and fluffy. They are not dense or dry.
How to Make
First, preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Generously spray a muffin pan with nonstick spray.
In a mixing bowl, add sourdough discard, flour, brown sugar, baking powder and sea salt. Stir until combined.
Then, add in the egg, milk, vanilla, and oil. Stir to combine.
Fold in the chocolate chips.
Divide batter into the greased muffin pan.
Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes. Then lower oven temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake muffins another 3 to 5 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Finally, remove sourdough muffins from oven. Allow muffins to cool in pan for 10 minutes. Then, carefully remove.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Use sourdough discard that is at least 10 days old. This creates a deeper flavor.
Stir discard before measuring.
Use either gluten free flour or all purpose flour. Do not use almond flour, coconut flour, oat flour or another alternative.
The batter may become a little crumbly. Continue stirring until uniform.
Do not bake too long. The muffins will have puffed up after baking for 10 minutes at 425 degrees. They only need a few minutes at 350 degrees after that.
For best results, eat muffins within 2 to 3 days of making them.
They really do not do well in the fridge or freezer.
Flavor Variations & Add Ins
Consider these ways to switch up your sourdough muffins.
Use white chocolate chips.
Use chocolate chunks.
Replace chocolate chips with blueberries to make sourdough blueberry muffins.
Add in a pinch of cinnamon.
Use mini chocolate chips.
Add in raspberries and white chocolate chips.
Add in dried cranberries.
How to Serve & Store
Serve sourdough muffins once slightly cooled from oven.
Serve with coffee, tea, milk or hot chocolate. They are also great as a snack or dessert.
For brunch, serve alongside these Sourdough Pancakes.
Store leftovers covered at room temperature for up to 3 days.
I do not recommend refrigerating or freezing them.
Frequently Asked Questions
The sourdough flavor is detectable but not overly strong.
Use gluten free sourdough discard and gluten free flour.
I would not suggest freezing these muffins.
Baking them at 425 degrees Fahrenheit initially makes them rise. Then lowering the temperature allows them to bake through.
You May Also Like
- Almond Flour Muffins
- Gluten Free Banana Muffins
- Vegan Blueberry Muffins
- Vegan Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Almond Flour Banana Muffins
If you make this sourdough muffin recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along! Check out these Breakfast Recipes for more ideas.
Get the Recipe: Sourdough Muffins
- First, preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Generously spray a muffin pan with nonstick spray.
- In a mixing bowl, add sourdough discard, flour, brown sugar, baking powder and sea salt. Stir until combined. Mixture may be crumbly.
- Then, add in egg, milk, vanilla, and oil. Stir to combine.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Divide batter into the sprayed muffin pan.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes. Then lower oven temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake another 3 to 5 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Finally, remove pan from oven. Allow muffins to cool in pan for 10 minutes. Then carefully remove.
- Both regular and gluten free sourdough discard can be used. Stir before measuring.
- Likewise, both regular all purpose and gluten free 1 to 1 flour can be used.
- For these photos, I used gluten free sourdough discard, gluten free flour and coconut sugar.
- The batter may be a little bit crumbly. Continue mixing until mostly smooth.
- Do not over bake muffins. Mine were perfect at 14 minutes total.
- Store muffins covered at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- These muffins tend to firm up when placed in the fridge or freezer. Therefore, I recommend eating them fresh.
Love these sourdough discard muffins? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!