Paleo Carrot Cake with Almond Flour
This Paleo Carrot Cake with Almond Flour is moist, fluffy and perfectly spiced! This cake is a showstopper. It is filled with healthy ingredients but tastes rich and indulgent!
I make this carrot cake every Easter (and several times throughout the year) and it is always a huge hit!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
This Paleo Carrot cake is absolutely stunning! Here is why I make it for many occasions:
- This cake is extremely moist and fluffy.
- A serving of vegetables in cake? Yes please!
- Carrot cake is great for so many different occasions. Birthday parties, Easter and rainy days are some of my favorites!
- Almond flour is great to bake with. Check out these Almond Flour Oatmeal Cookies!
- This cake is Paleo, grain free, gluten free, and naturally sweetened.
First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Cut a circle of parchment paper and line the bottoms of three 6 inch cake pans.
Next, sift together all dry cake ingredients.
Once sifted, add in all wet cake ingredients except grated carrots. Stir to combine.
Fold in grated carrots.
Divide cake batter evenly between cake pans.
Bake for 30 to 33 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove from oven to cool completely.
Once cooled completely, make frosting. Add frosting ingredients to a stand mixer. Then, whip until fluffy.
Finally, assemble cake. Add layer of frosting between each cake layer and on top. Frost sides of cake. Serve Paleo carrot cake!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How do I make Vegan vanilla frosting?
See my Vegan vanilla frosting recipe for more helpful tips and tricks!
Do you peel carrots for carrot cake?
Peeling carrots for carrot cake is not necessary. I never peel the carrots before grating. Doing so will not change the outcome of this batter so feel free!
What makes this carrot cake Paleo?
This carrot cake is Paleo because it is grain free, gluten free, and naturally sweetened. For a dairy free option, substitute coconut oil or ghee for the butter.
How do I store carrot cake?
Store leftover carrot cake in an airtight container at room temperature or in the fridge for up to 3 days.
What flavors go well with carrot cake? Can I add in nuts or raisins?
Fresh fruit (pineapple and banana) go well with carrot cake. This cake is made without nuts and raisins. If desired, add nuts and raisins to batter before baking.
Baking with Grain Free Flours
This Paleo carrot cake is made with almond flour, tapioca flour and coconut flour. Here is a little breakdown of these grain free flours:
- Almond flour is a flour made from ground up almonds. It is light in density and adds a slight nutty flavor to baked goods.
- Tapioca flour (or arrowroot starch) is the Paleo version of cornstarch. In this case, it adds the perfect texture to this cake.
- Coconut flour is an extremely dense and absorbent grain free flour. In addition, it is best used in small quantities.
You May Also Like
Get the Recipe: Paleo Carrot Cake with Almond Flour
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/3 cup tapioca flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- pinch nutmeg
- 1/4 cup dairy free milk
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup butter, or ghee or coconut oil, softened
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 cups grated carrots, about 4 to 5 large carrots
- First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line three 6 inch cake pans with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift all dry ingredients.
- Once combined, add in all wet ingredients except grated carrots. (Note: squeeze out excess liquid from grated carrots).
- Next, fold in grated carrots.
- Pour batter equally into lined cake pans.
- Then, bake for 30 to 33 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove cakes from oven and cool completely.
- Once cakes have completely cooled, make frosting.
- Add hardened parts of coconut milk, maple syrup and vanilla extract to a stand mixer. Whip for 1 to 2 minutes or until fluffy.
- To assemble: place one layer of cake on stand. Add frosting on top. Place a second layer of cake on top. Then, frost that cake. Finally, add top layer. Spread remaining frosting all over cake.
- Squeeze out ALL excess liquid from grated carrots.
- See photos above for how to line cake pans with parchment paper.
- Bake until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Frost cake once it has cooled completely.
- See my Vegan vanilla frosting recipe for tips and tricks!
- This cake can be made in two 8 inch cake pans. Follow the same exact recipe, but bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
Have you signed up for my free newsletter? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans and new recipes!