Healthy Twix Bars (Paleo, Vegan)
These healthy Twix Bars are so fun and tasty! They have an almond flour shortbread crust, smooth homemade caramel sauce, and creamy dark chocolate coating. These homemade Paleo Twix bars are great for Halloween, birthdays, and dessert.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- These healthy Twix bars are easy, healthy and yummy!
- They are like a healthier version of the classic candy bar.
- These Paleo Twix bars have a delicious shortbread crust.
- The homemade caramel sauce is so smooth and creamy.
- Melted dark chocolate makes for the perfect topping!
- This recipe is Paleo, grain free, gluten free, dairy free, Vegan, peanut free, egg free, soy free and refined sugar free.
- Check out these Gluten Free Snickers Bars for another fun idea!
What is a Twix Bar?
Twix bars are a chocolate bar featuring a biscuit layer, caramel layer and encased in chocolate. These classic candy bars are sold with one, two or four Twix bars per package. Mars, Inc. makes these bars.
These candy bars date back to the mid 1900s in the United Kingdom. They were originally called Raider before their name was finalized to Twix.
Traditional Twix bars are not Paleo, gluten free or Vegan. This recipe is!
Ingredients & Substitutions
Both almond flour and coconut flour are vital in achieving the shortbread texture. I do not recommend substituting for either of these flours.
Coconut oil is used in all three layers. Use refined coconut oil for a neutral taste. Unrefined coconut oil has a slight coconut flavor. If desired, butter can be used.
Maple syrup is a great Paleo liquid sweetener. In this case, it sweetens the shortbread layer and caramel sauce. Date syrup is a great replacement. If not Vegan, honey can be used.
Vanilla extract provides a touch of flavor in the bottom two layers.
For the melted chocolate, I highly recommend Enjoy Life dark chocolate chips. They are gluten free, dairy free, and melt well.
How to Make
First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line an 8 inch by 8 inch glass pan with parchment paper.
Make shortbread layer first. Add ingredients to a large mixing bowl and mix until combined. Spread into pan and bake for 9-12 minutes. The edges should be just starting to turn golden and the middle should be set.
While the shortbread layer bakes, make the caramel. Add all ingredients to a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil then let simmer on very low heat for 10 minutes until creamy and thick, stirring constantly.
Then, let shortbread layer cool for 10 minutes then pour caramel on top.
Freeze for 30 minutes or until hardened.
Melt chocolate and coconut oil in microwavable bowl in 30 second increments until melted and pour over caramel layer. Freeze at least 30 minutes.
Finally, cut into bars and serve. Best served chilled.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Bake shortbread layer until middle is set and edges are golden. It is important not to under bake or over bake.
Stir caramel constantly to prevent burning. It should thicken up as it simmers.
Freeze bottom two layers completely before adding chocolate topping.
Additionally, freeze bars completely before slicing and serving.
How to Serve & Store
Serve bars once they are frozen. Carefully slice into bars and serve!
Store bars in the fridge or freezer. Do not store at room temperature.
To freeze, wrap each individual bar in tin foil and freeze for up to 2 months.
Frequently Asked Questions
No, according to the Twix website, there is no coconut in the candy bars.
No, there are no Vegan Twix bars sold today.
No, Twix bars contain wheat.
You May Also Like
Get the Recipe: Healthy Twix Bars (Paleo, Vegan)
- First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line an 8 inch by 8 inch pan with parchment paper.
- Make shortbread layer first. Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Stir to combine. Spread into one even layer in lined pan.
- Bake shortbread layer for 9 to 11 minutes or until middle is set and edges are slightly golden.
- Meanwhile, make the caramel. Add caramel ingredients to a skillet over medium heat. Bring to a light boil then simmer on low heat for 10 minutes, until thick and creamy. Stir constantly to prevent burning.
- Once shortbread layer has cooled for 10 minutes, pour caramel on top.
- Place pan in freezer for at least 30 minutes or until hardened.
- Then, melt chocolate chips and coconut oil in microwavable bowl in 30 second increments, until melted. Pour over caramel layer.
- Place pan back in freezer for at least 30 minutes or until completely firm.
- Finally, remove pan from freezer. Cut into bars and serve!
- To keep this Paleo, I used creamy cashew butter. Almond butter and peanut butter both work well. Use nut butter that is all natural and made with only nuts and salt.
- Use refined coconut oil for a neutral flavor.
- Bake shortbread layer until the middle is set and edges are just slightly golden.
- Constantly stir caramel to prevent burning.
- Use Vegan chocolate chips to keep this recipe Vegan.
- Allow bars to freeze fully before slicing and serving.
Love these healthy Twix bars? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans and new recipes!