Gluten Free Snickers Bars
These Gluten Free Snickers Bars have a delicious shortbread layer, homemade caramel and dark chocolate coating! They are easy to make and filled with wholesome ingredients. These homemade Paleo Snickers are great for Halloween, holidays, birthdays and many occasions!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- These Gluten Free Snickers bars are easy to make!
- They are no bake.
- The layers and flavors are irresistible!
- These Vegan Snickers bars are reminiscent of the classic candy bar.
- This recipe is Paleo, grain free, gluten free, egg free, corn free, soy free, refined sugar free, dairy free, and Vegan.
- Check out this Healthy Snickers Smoothie for another fun recipe!
Ingredients & Substitutions
The almond flour and coconut flour work well in tandem to create the perfect shortbread texture. I do not recommend any replacements.
Coconut oil is used in both layers and the chocolate coating. Use refined coconut oil for a neutral taste. If needed, use butter or ghee in its place.
Pure maple syrup is used in both the shortbread layer and caramel layer as a sweetener. For non Vegan, honey can be substituted.
For the caramel layer, use any creamy natural nut butter. Almond butter, cashew butter, or peanut butter work well. Look for nut butter that is made with only nuts and salt.
Vanilla extract adds a little extra flavor to the caramel!
Use slightly crushed cashews for the caramel layer. This replaces peanuts in the classic chocolate bar. If desired, use peanuts.
I highly recommend using Vegan dark chocolate chips for this recipe. The dark chocolate is rich and decadent. I use Enjoy Life dark chocolate chips.
Are Snickers Gluten Free?
Snickers bars do not contain gluten, however they have not been gluten free certified.
As of 2019, their ingredients included milk chocolate (made up of sugar, cocoa butter, lactose, skim milk, chocolate, soy lecithin, milk fat, artificial flavor), peanuts, corn syrup, palm oil, sugar, skim milk, lactose, egg whites and artificial flavor.
Although the ingredients are non gluten containing, there is no gluten free certification.
These homemade Gluten Free Snickers Bars are great for those who are gluten free or Celiac!
How to Make
First, line an 8 inch by 8 inch pan with parchment paper. Make shortbread layer by combining all ingredients. Press into an even layer in the bottom of pan. Place pan in freezer.
Next, make the caramel layer. Add all ingredients (except cashews) to a microwavable bowl. Microwave 30-45 seconds or until melted. Stir to combine.
Then, add chopped cashews into caramel mixture. Pour caramel and cashews over shortbread layer. Freeze for 30 minutes or until frozen.
Once bars have frozen, remove pan from freezer and take bars out of the pan. Then, slice into 8 bars. Next, melt chocolate and coconut oil in 30 second increments in the microwave until smooth and creamy.
Dip each bar into chocolate mixture and place on parchment lined baking sheet.
Garnish with chopped cashews if desired.
Lastly, freeze for another 30 minutes or until frozen. Enjoy!
Expert Tips & Tricks
Press shortbread layer into one even layer in lined pan.
Microwave caramel for only 30 seconds. If not melted by then, microwave for another 5 to 10 seconds. Do not burn caramel!
After melting caramel, stir until completely smooth and creamy.
Freeze bars completely before dipping into chocolate.
Use spoon to completely coat bars in melted chocolate.
Allow bars to freeze until chocolate is hardened.
How to Serve & Store
Serve bars once chocolate coating has hardened.
These bars need to be chilled or frozen. Store in fridge for up to 7 days.
Wrap each individual bar before freezing. These can be frozen for up to 2 months.
Gluten Free Candy Bars
Here are some of the most popular gluten free candy bars. They are gluten free according to the manufacturers who make them. As always, it is very important to double check labels and ingredients lists.
- Tootsie Rolls
- Hershey’s (some bars)
- Hershey’s Kisses
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups (except minis and holidays varities)
- Sour Patch Kids
- Swedish Fish
This list is not exhaustive and companies can change ingredients at any point. Always double check the individual candy for ingredients.
Frequently Asked Questions
Store bought manufactured Snickers are not gluten free. This recipe is!
Store bought bars are not Vegan or dairy free, however this recipe is.
Mars inc. is the company who manufactures Snickers.
Vegan caramel is made with nut butter, coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
You May Also Like
If you make this recipe, I would love to see it! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out my Vegan Recipes page.
Get the Recipe: Gluten Free Snickers Bars
- 1 ¼ cups almond flour
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup
- ½ cup nut butter, almond, peanut or cashew butter
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup cashews, slightly crushed
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- First, line an 8 inch by 8 inch pan with parchment paper.
- Make shortbread layer. Add all shortbread ingredients to a mixing bowl. Stir to combine. Press into an even layer in the lined pan. Place pan in freezer.
- Next, make caramel layer. Add all caramel ingredients except cashews to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave 30 seconds or until smooth and creamy. Stir to combine.
- Add in crushed cashews to the melted caramel mixture. Pour this over shortbread layer. Freeze this at least 30 minutes or until completely frozen.
- Once bars are frozen, remove pan from freezer. Use parchment paper to take bars out of the pan. Slice into 8 bars.
- Make chocolate coating. Add chocolate chips and coconut oil to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds or until smooth and creamy.
- Dip each bar into melted chocolate. Place on parchment lined baking sheet. If needed, spoon more chocolate over each bar so they are completely covered in chocolate.
- Garnish with chopped cashews if desired.
- Lastly, freeze for another 30 minutes or until chocolate has hardened.
- Press shortbread layer into one even layer in pan.
- Stir caramel until smooth and creamy.
- Allow bars to freeze fully before slicing and dipping into melted chocolate.
- Use spoon or tongs to help you dip the bars into melted chocolate. Spoon more melted chocolate over bars so they are completely covered.
- Freeze Snickers bars until chocolate has hardened.
- Store bars in the fridge or freezer.
Love these gluten free Snickers bars? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans and new recipes!
3 Comments on “Gluten Free Snickers Bars”
I thought snickers were gluten free anyways?
Yes, Snickers are gluten free right now. These are a healthier homemade version!
These were so fun to make! My family devoured them!