Bananas Foster Pancakes
Level up your pancake game with these Bananas Foster Pancakes! These fluffy pancakes are topped with caramelized bananas and the most delicious sticky syrup. They take under 30 minutes to make. These pancakes are perfect for weekend brunch, an easy breakfast, and holidays!
This recipe is sponsored by Pamela’s Products. Thank you for supporting my blog!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- These bananas foster pancakes are perfectly sweet.
- They are easy to make.
- The bananas foster topping is incredibly flavorful.
- Say goodbye to boring plain pancakes.
- This recipe is gluten free and can be easily made dairy free and nut free.
- Check out these Oat Flour Pancakes for another gluten free breakfast idea!
- If you have leftover pancake mix, try these Pancake Mix Muffins.
Ingredients & Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for bananas foster pancakes. Scroll down to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
Butter contributes to these bananas foster topping. For dairy free, use dairy free butter sticks. Coconut oil will not give the same buttery flavor.
Brown sugar can be replaced with coconut sugar or maple sugar. Granulated white sugar may work, but will not yield that deep brown color.
Use pure maple syrup for best results.
Rum extract is completely optional. It gives the sauce a depth of flavor but may be omitted.
Use ripe bananas but not overly brown bananas. They should be yellow.
What is Bananas Foster?
Bananas foster is a dessert that features bananas and a sweet buttery sauce. The sauce is typically made with brown sugar, cinnamon, butter, and rum or rum extract. Traditionally, the bananas and sauce are cooked together and served over vanilla ice cream.
This American dessert is originally from New Orleans. Since then, it has become very popular all around the country and beyond.
Taste & Texture
These bananas foster pancakes taste mostly like maple syrup, cinnamon, and bananas. They are sweet!
The pancakes themselves are fluffy and soft. The topping is smooth and a little sticky. The bananas become soft and tender while caramelizing. A pecan garnish adds some crunch.
How to Make
First, prepare pancake mix per box instructions. Once a batter is formed, allow batter to sit for 5 minutes to thicken.
Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons butter in large skillet over low medium heat. Once melted, use ¼ cup measuring spoon to spoon batter onto pan. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes on first side, or until bubbles have formed.
Carefully flip pancakes. Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes on second side. Remove pancakes to a large plate. Continue for remaining batter.
Then, make the topping. Add all topping ingredients except bananas and pecans to a skillet over low heat. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently, or until brown sugar has melted into butter.
Then, slice bananas into coins. Place banana coins in the skillet. Cook for 1 minute on each side.
Finally, top pancakes with caramelized bananas. Next, pour some of the sauce from the pan on top. Garnish bananas foster pancakes with pecans if desired.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Choose a high quality pancake mix for best results. After mixing the batter, allow it to sit at room temperature for 5 to 10 minutes. This thickens the batter and yields fluffier pancakes.
Do not skimp on buttering the skillet. The skillet should never be dry while making pancakes.
Cook the bananas foster topping on low and watch carefully. Since it contains both brown sugar and maple syrup, it can easily burn.
Use ripe yellow bananas for best results.
How to Serve & Store
Serve bananas foster pancakes hot from the skillet! Top pancakes with caramelized bananas and sauce.
Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days. If possible, store pancakes and topping separately.
Serve with orange juice, apple juice, or milk. These bananas foster pancakes are great with bacon, sausage and fresh fruit!
Frequently Asked Questions
The bananas foster topping tastes like caramel and maple syrup. It has a hint of cinnamon and nutmeg.
After mixing the batter, let it sit at room temperature for 5 to 10 minutes to thicken. This yields fluffy pancakes.
Sure! Replace butter with dairy free butter sticks and use dairy free milk to make pancake batter.
Pamela’s products can be found on their website or on Amazon.
You May Also Like
If you make this bananas foster recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Breakfast Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Bananas Foster Pancakes
- 1 cup pancake mix
- 1 egg
- ½ cup water or milk
- 1 tbsp avocado oil, or neutral flavored oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- First, prepare pancake mix per box instructions. Once a batter is formed, allow batter to sit for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons butter in large skillet over low medium heat. Once butter has melted, use ¼ cup measuring spoon to spoon batter onto pan. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes on first side, or until bubbles have formed.
- Carefully flip pancakes. Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes on second side. Remove pancakes to a large plate. Continue until batter runs out.
- Then, make the topping. Add all topping ingredients except bananas and pecans to a skillet over low heat. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently, or until brown sugar has melted into butter.
- Then, slice bananas into coins. Place these banana coins in the skillet. Cook for 1 minute on each side.
- Finally, top pancakes with caramelized bananas. Pour some of the sauce from the pan on top. Garnish with pecans if desired.
- I used and loved Pamela’s gluten free pancake mix, but any pancake mix will work.
- This recipe can be easily made dairy free. Use dairy free butter sticks and almond milk.
- Rum extract is completely optional, but will provide that signature bananas foster flavor.
- This recipe made about ten 4 inch pancakes.
- Stir topping frequently to prevent burning.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- Nutritional facts are for 1 pancake with topping.
Love these bananas foster pancakes? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!