Levain Chocolate Chip Cookies (Gluten Free)
These Levain chocolate chips cookies are thick, rich and delicious! They are incredibly flavorful, buttery, and filled with chocolate chips. These gluten free bakery style cookies are massive!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- These Levain chocolate chip cookies are so thick and giant!
- The texture and flavor is authentic and truly the best.
- No dough chilling required.
- These gluten free cookies are not dry or bland.
- They are easy to make and dangerously delicious!
- This recipe is gluten free, nut free, and oil free.
- Check out these Almond Flour Oatmeal Cookies for another great dessert!
- For the chocolate version, check out these Gluten Free Chocolate Cookies.
- For the peanut butter version, see these Gluten Free Peanut Butter Cookies.
What is Levain Bakery?
Levain Bakery is a bakery in New York City that is famous for their giant cookies. This little shop on West 74th Street earned their fame through their walnut chocolate chip cookies.
Each cookie weighs 6 ounces, which is huge! Today, their bakery offers several flavors.
Ingredients & Substitutions
Cold butter is key in getting the perfect texture for these jumbo chocolate chip cookies. Since the cookies are so thick, we do not want them to spread much while baking. Melted or softened butter yields a thinner cookie. I have not tried this recipe with a dairy free or Vegan replacement.
Both white sugar and light brown sugar add the sweetness. Tightly pack brown sugar.
The eggs help bind the dough together and create the perfect texture. Do not use flax eggs, chia eggs or a Vegan egg replacement. If you need eggless cookies, check out these Eggless Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Gluten free 1 to 1 flour is a great substitute for all purpose flour! This recipe can be made with either gluten free 1 to 1 flour or all purpose flour. I always use King Arthur Flour gluten free flour in my baking.
A little tapioca flour adds some chewiness to these cookies. Tapioca flour can be replaced with an equal amount of cornstarch or arrowroot powder.
The baking soda is the leavening agent used to provide some lift to these cookies.
Dark chocolate chips are rich and decadent. Feel free to use any type of chocolate chips.
The authentic Levain Bakery cookies also have chopped walnuts in their cookies. If desired, add in 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts to cookie dough and reduce the flour down to 3 cups total. This copycat recipe does not include walnuts.
Taste & Texture
These cookies taste like classic chocolate chip cookies. They are buttery, chocolaty and delicious.
Unlike most cookies, these are thick and huge. They have slightly golden brown edges and a gooey center.
How to Make
First, preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
In a stand mixer or large mixing bowl, beat cubes of cold butter, white sugar and brown sugar for 3 minutes. Beat until no clumps of butter remain.
Add in eggs and stir to combine.
Then, add in gluten free flour, tapioca flour, and baking soda. Stir until a thick dough forms.
Fold in dark chocolate chips.
Use a large spoon to scoop balls of dough onto lined baking pan. Each ball of dough should be about 6 ounces. They do not need to be perfectly shaped.
Place only 4 cookies equally spaced apart on lined pan.
Then, bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until the middle of cookies has set and the edges are slightly golden.
Finally, remove from oven. Cool cookies on pan for 10 minutes before carefully transferring to a cooling rack.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Use cubed cold butter for best results. Cold butter does not spread much while baking, yielding a thicker cookie.
Not all gluten free flours are created equal. I use and love King Arthur Flour gluten free 1 to 1 flour.
When scooping balls of dough, they do not have to be perfect looking. Form into a ball that is approximately 6 ounces in weight.
Form equal sized balls of dough to ensure even cooking.
Space cookies out at least 3 inches on pan. I suggest baking only 4 cookies at a time.
Bake until cookies are just set in the middle and starting to turn golden along the edges. To replicate the gooey middle, do not over bake cookies!
How to Serve & Store
Serve cookies once they are cool enough to handle. They are delicious with a glass of milk or hot cocoa!
Store cookies covered at room temperature for up to 4 days. Or, store in fridge for up to 7 days.
These cookies can be frozen and thawed for later.
Variations & Add Ins
While these Levain chocolate chip cookies are unbelievably delicious as is, here are some fun mix in ideas. Add these to the dough and mix before baking. If adding any of these, reduce flour down to 3 cups.
Mini chocolate chips
White chocolate chips
Peanut butter chips
Try these Sourdough Chocolate Chip Cookies!
Frequently Asked Questions
These cookies are about 6 ounces each. They look about twice as large and thick as regular cookies.
Levain Bakery in NYC does not sell gluten free cookies, but this recipe is gluten free.
I have had great success with King Arthur Flour gluten free 1 to 1 flour for years. Bob’s Red Mill also has a great option.
You May Also Like
If you make this Levain chocolate chip cookies recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Dessert Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Levain Chocolate Chip Cookies (Gluten Free)
- First, preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a stand mixer or large mixing bowl, beat together cubes of cold butter, white sugar and light brown sugar. Beat for 3 minutes or until no clumps of butter remain.
- Add in both eggs. Stir to combine.
- Then, add gluten free 1 to 1 flour, tapioca flour, and baking soda to bowl. Stir until a thick dough is formed.
- Fold in dark chocolate chips.
- Use a large spoon to scoop balls of dough onto parchment paper. Each ball of dough should be about 6 ounces. They do not need to be perfectly shaped. Place only 4 cookies equally spaced apart on lined pan.
- Then, bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until cookies are just set in the middle and slightly golden around the edges.
- Finally, remove from oven. Allow cookies to cool on pan for at least 10 minutes before carefully transferring to a cooling rack to finish cooling. Garnish with sea salt if desired.
- These cookies are massive, thick and huge! That is why I love them.
- Slice cold butter into small cubes.
- I highly recommend King Arthur Flour gluten free 1 to 1 flour for this recipe. All purpose flour can be used too.
- Tightly pack light brown sugar.
- The balls of cookie dough do not need to be perfectly shaped. See photos above for reference.
- They do not have to be 6 ounces each. Make them as big or small as you’d like! I do not suggest going over 6 ounces though.
- Bake until cookies look set in the middle and slightly golden around the edges. Do not over bake! They are meant to be gooey.
- Store covered at room temperature for up to 4 days.
Love these Levain chocolate chip cookies? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!