Greek Yogurt Brownies
These Greek yogurt brownies are incredibly gooey, fudge like, chocolaty and rich! This easy to make dessert is not only delicious but also packed with protein and lower in sugar than traditional brownies. This quick recipe takes only 30 minutes total. Only one mixing bowl and a handful of pantry staple ingredients needed. They are over the top gooey and decadent!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- These Greek yogurt brownies are quick and easy.
- They are more healthy than classic brownies. So are these Sweet Potato Brownies!
- This is a great healthy dessert for the whole family.
- They have a super rich and decadent flavor. You will also love these Cheesecake Brownies!
- The texture is slightly more dense and thick than regular brownies.
- These brownies are higher in protein than usual brownies.
- No eggs or butter required. Same with these 3 Ingredient Brownies!
- The Greek yogurt adds protein and a fudge like texture.
- This recipe is gluten free and refined sugar free.
- Feel free to use dairy free yogurt if needed.
- Check out these Healthy Brownies for another favorite dessert!
Ingredients & Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for Greek yogurt brownies. Scroll down to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
Use high quality chocolate for the melted chocolate. I recommend using dark chocolate or semisweet chocolate. Sugar free can be used as well. Bittersweet chocolate is a little too intense for these brownies.
Use coconut sugar, white sugar or monk fruit sweetener for this recipe. This adds sweetness.
Vanilla Greek yogurt adds thickness and creaminess. Use vanilla flavored or unflavored. Plain yogurt will yield a slightly less sweet brownie.
Dairy free milk helps thin out the batter. Regular milk can be used too.
Cocoa powder adds the chocolate flavor.
Half a teaspoon of baking soda helps leaven these brownies. Overall, they barely rise in the oven.
Lastly, fold in some chocolate chips. Any type work well. Feel free to use regular, mini or even chopped chocolate.
Taste & Texture
Greek yogurt brownies have a rich, chocolaty flavor with a fudge like texture.
They are not overly sweet, but just sweet enough to satisfy your cravings.
The addition of Greek yogurt makes them moist and gives them a slight tangy taste that balances well with the sweetness of the chocolate.
These brownies are slightly more dense and thick than traditional brownies. They are similar to a thick chocolate cheesecake or chocolate mousse.
What is Greek Yogurt?
Greek yogurt is a strained yogurt that has been filtered to remove the whey. This yields a thicker, creamier texture.
It is higher in protein than regular yogurt and lower in lactose.
This makes it easier to digest for those with lactose intolerance.
It also contains beneficial bacteria that can improve gut health.
Greek yogurt contains about half the numbers of carbs that regular yogurt contains.
Greek yogurt is loaded with health benefits.
It contains high amounts of protein. It has about double the amount of protein that normal yogurt does.
Greek yogurt is fermented. Therefore, it contains healthy probiotics.
This yogurt is high in Vitamin B12. Vitamin B12 supports the formation of red blood cells and supports the nervous system.
These Greek yogurt brownies also contain dark chocolate.
Dark chocolate is full of health benefits. It contains iron and magnesium.
In addition, these brownies are sweetened with coconut sugar. Coconut sugar is an unrefined form of sugar.
It contains a lot of the benefits of the coconut palm. These include iron, zinc and calcium.
How to Make
First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line an 8 inch by 8 inch pan with parchment paper.
In a mixing bowl, add melted chocolate, Greek yogurt and coconut sugar. Stir to combine.
Then, pour in milk. Stir until a thin batter forms.
Add in flour, cocoa powder and baking soda. Stir to combine.
Fold in chocolate chips. The batter will be very thick.
Transfer batter to the lined pan. Spread into an even layer.
Bake for 20 to 22 minutes or until just barely set in the middle.
Finally, remove from oven. Allow Greek yogurt brownies to fully cool before slicing.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Use coconut sugar, white sugar, brown sugar, or monk fruit sweetener for a low carb option.
Vanilla Greek yogurt is best for this recipe. Plain yogurt will yield a more sour taste.
If needed, use dairy free yogurt. Choose one that is very thick.
Both all purpose flour and gluten free 1 to 1 flour can be used. Do not substitute with another flour.
The brownie batter will be very thick.
Do not bake too long. These Greek yogurt brownies will look soft and gooey. They will firm up slightly as they cool down.
How to Serve & Store
Serve Greek yogurt brownies once cooled and sliced.
They are rich and decadent. Serve with hot chocolate, coffee, tea, or ice cream.
They are delicious served warm with cold ice cream!
Top with hot fudge sauce or caramel sauce.
Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Freeze Greek yogurt brownies for 1 month.
Frequently Asked Questions
No, these Greek yogurt brownies contain yogurt. Therefore, they are not Vegan.
Use gluten free flour to keep these brownies gluten free.
Use vanilla or plain Greek yogurt. I recommend not using another flavor.
Greek yogurt helps adds moisture and density to baking. It is commonly used in quick bread and muffins for added moisture.
Yes, yogurt can be used in place of eggs in brownie mix. Replace 1 egg with ¼ cup yogurt. With brownies, they may not be as shiny on top when eggs are substituted for.
Hand Mixer: Although a hand mixer is not necessary for this Greek yogurt brownie recipe, it can be used. This one is my favorite.
Pre-Cut Parchment Paper Sheets: Line brownie pan with parchment paper for easy removal.
Pyrex 3 Glass Mixing Bowls: These are my favorite mixing bowls for baking.
Pyrex Glass Measuring Cups: Use these glass measuring cups to measure out ingredients.
Whisk: Whisk together the dry ingredients.
Brownie Pan: A quality brownie pan makes such a difference! This one is high quality and bakes the Greek yogurt brownies evenly.
You May Also Like
If you make this Greek yogurt brownie recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Join my exclusive Facebook Group for a behind the scenes look. I would love for you to follow along! For more sweet treats, check out these Dessert Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Greek Yogurt Brownies
- First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line an 8 inch by 8 inch pan with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, add melted chocolate, Greek yogurt and coconut sugar. Stir to combine.
- Then, pour in milk. Stir until a runny batter forms.
- Add in flour, cocoa powder and baking soda. Stir to combine.
- Fold in chocolate chips. Batter will be very thick like cheesecake filling.
- Transfer batter to the lined pan. Spread into one even layer.
- Bake for 20 to 22 minutes or until just barely set in the middle. These brownies will firm up slightly as they cool.
- Finally, remove from oven. Allow brownies to fully cool before slicing.
- Feel free to use coconut sugar, white sugar, brown sugar, or monk fruit sweetener for a low carb option.
- Use vanilla Greek yogurt. Unsweetened yogurt may be used as well, but these brownies will not be quite as sweet.
- Dairy free yogurt can be used, but please choose a very thick brand.
- Both all purpose flour and gluten free 1 to 1 flour can be used. I use gluten free flour.
- The brownie batter will be very thick. It is similar to a thick mousse or thick cheesecake filling batter.
- Do not over bake. The brownies will look gooey and underdone, but they set up as they cool.
- Store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Freeze for up to 1 month if needed.
Love these healthy Greek yogurt brownies? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!