Gluten Free Burgers
This recipe for gluten free burgers is easy to make and produces juicy, flavorful patties! They are quick and easy to make. This recipe takes just 15 minutes in total. The burgers are savory, hearty, and delicious. Everyone in the family will love them. Serve them at family barbecues, birthday parties, backyard cookouts, and more!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- These gluten free burgers are quick and easy to make.
- This 15-minute recipe is great for busy weeknights or the weekends.
- The whole family will love them.
- The burgers are juicy and flavorful, due to the combination of ground beef, onion, garlic, and spices.
- You can customize the burgers to your liking by adding different toppings and sauces.
- The burgers are gluten free, so they’re perfect for anyone who has Celiac disease or is simply gluten free by choice.
- The burger recipe is also dairy free, nut free, and sugar free.
- Serve on lettuce wraps for a Whole30, low carb, Keto, and Paleo option.
- Check out these Gluten Free Hamburger Buns!
Ingredients & Substitutes
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for gluten free burgers. Scroll down to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
Use ground beef, ground turkey, or ground chicken. For the juiciest results, use ground beef that is higher in fat content. Lean meat is less juicy.
Finely chop the onion. Use white, yellow, or sweet onion.
The garlic adds a delicious garlicky flavor.
Coconut aminos is the soy free and corn free version of soy sauce. It adds flavor and moisture.
Add in salt and pepper to taste.
Top with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, onion, pickles, and condiments.
Feel free to use store bought or homemade gluten free burger buns. Udi’s makes a great gluten free bun.
Taste & Texture
These gluten free burgers taste exactly like classic burgers! If you grill them, they have a delicious smoky chargrilled flavor. Add your favorite toppings to increase flavor. The patties themselves are hearty and savory.
These burgers are so juicy! I purposely did not add in gluten free breadcrumbs, thus making them more tender.
How to Make
First, in a mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, finely chopped onion, minced garlic, coconut aminos, salt, and pepper.
Mix the ingredients together until well combined. Do not overmix.
Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions and shape them into burger patties. Make sure they are about the same size as your burger buns.
Preheat your grill or skillet over medium-high heat.
Cook the burger patties for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until they reach your desired level of doneness.
During the last minute of cooking, add a slice of cheese on top of each patty. Cover to melt the cheese.
Toast the burger buns if desired. Spread desired condiments on the toasted gluten free burger buns.
Place a lettuce leaf on the bottom bun, then the cooked burger patty with melted cheese.
Add sliced tomatoes, onions, and pickles as desired.
Top with the other half of the gluten free bun.
Finally, serve your gluten free burgers hot and fresh!
Expert Tips for Success
Follow these tips to make the best gluten free burgers.
Use high-quality ground beef for the best flavor and texture.
For juicy burgers, use a higher fat content. For example, 80% lean ground beef is more juicy than 90% lean ground beef.
Do not overmix the ingredients, as this can make the burgers tough.
Form the patties into even thickness so that they cook evenly.
To make it easier, use a burger mold.
Use a meat thermometer to measure the internal temperature.
Do not overcook.
Time & Temperature
Here is a chart for the time and temperature for burgers. These will vary slightly depending on the thickness of the burgers and the cooking method.
|Time & Temperature for Burgers||Cook Time Per Side||Temperature|
|Rare||2 minutes||125 degrees Fahrenheit|
|Medium Rare||2.5 minutes||135 degrees Fahrenheit|
|Medium||3 minutes||145 degrees Fahrenheit|
|Medium Well||4 minutes||155 degrees Fahrenheit|
|Well Done||5 minutes||160 degrees Fahrenheit|
Flavor Variations & Add-Ins
Consider these delicious flavor variations to these gluten free burgers.
Add different spices to the burger mixture, such as chili powder, cayenne pepper, or smoked paprika.
Add finely chopped vegetables to the burger mixture, such as mushrooms, peppers, or onions.
Top the burgers with your favorite sauces, such as ketchup, mustard, or mayonnaise.
Add some crispy bacon on top!
Serve the burgers on gluten free buns, lettuce leaves, or corn tortillas.
How to Serve & Store
Serve these gluten free burgers hot and fresh from the grill! They are great with gluten free rolls, toppings, and sauces.
Store the cooked burger patties in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Freeze the cooked burger patties for up to 1 month. Then, thaw them overnight in the fridge. Cook them in a pan or grill until heated through.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Yes, you can make gluten free burgers without eggs. This recipe does not use eggs at all.
Cook gluten free burgers in the same way that you cook regular burgers. Grill them, pan fry them, or bake them. Cook them until cooked through to an internal temperature of 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
Burger patties are usually gluten free, as long as they do not contain breadcrumbs. Unfortunately, most buns are not gluten free.
McDonald’s burger patties are gluten-free. They are made with 100% beef and do not contain any gluten-containing ingredients. However, McDonald’s cannot guarantee that their burger patties are completely gluten free, due to the risk of cross-contamination.
No, Five Guys does not have gluten free buns. However, they will serve your burger in a lettuce wrap or bunless.
Yes, you can freeze the patties. Freeze either before or after cooking.
Burger Mold: This burger mold makes it super easy to form perfect burgers.
Meat Thermometer: Use a meat thermometer to test the internal temperature of these gluten free burgers.
Check out all of my kitchen favorites!
You May Also Enjoy
If you make this gluten free hamburger recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Join my exclusive Facebook Group for a behind the scenes look. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, see these Lunch and Dinner Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Gluten Free Burgers
For the Patties:
For the Toppings:
- sliced cheese
- lettuce leaves
- sliced tomatoes
- sliced onions
- gluten free burger buns
- First, in a mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, finely chopped onion, minced garlic, coconut aminos, salt, and pepper.
- Mix the ingredients together until well combined. Be careful not to overmix, as this can make the patties tough.
- Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions and shape them into burger patties. Make sure they are about the same size as your burger buns. If desired, use a burger press to shape them.
- Preheat your grill or skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook the burger patties for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until they reach your desired level of doneness.
- During the last minute of cooking, add a slice of cheese on top of each patty. Cover to melt the cheese.
- Toast the burger buns if desired. Spread desired condiments on the toasted gluten free burger buns.
- Place a lettuce leaf on the bottom bun, followed by the cooked burger patty with melted cheese.
- Add sliced tomatoes, onions, and pickles as desired.
- Top with the other half of the gluten free bun.
- Finally, serve your gluten free burgers immediately!
- For larger burgers, divide the beef mixture into 3 parts. This burger mold makes it so easy to form round, evenly sized burgers.
- Feel free to use ground chicken or ground turkey.
- Finely chop the onions.
- These can be grilled or pan seared.
- Use a meat thermometer to measure the internal temperature of the burgers.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Store the burgers in the fridge, but store the buns at room temperature.
- Freeze the burgers for up to 1 month if needed.
- The nutrition facts are for just the burger, not the bun or toppings.
Love these gluten free burgers? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!