Vegan French Fries
These Vegan French fries are so crispy, savory and flavorful! This recipe yields the most golden crispy and delicious fries. They are loaded with seasonings and flavor. Great as a side dish, appetizer or snack.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- These Vegan French fries are so crispy!
- They are made with only pantry staple ingredients.
- These fries are much healthier than deep fried restaurant varieties.
- Not all fast food restaurants have Vegan fries. These are completely Vegan.
- Great as a snack, side dish or appetizer.
- There are so many ways to switch up the flavors.
- This recipe is Whole30 compliant, Paleo, gluten free, dairy free, Vegan, nut free and sugar free.
- They are oven baked.
- Check out these Whole30 French Fries for another delicious recipe.
Ingredients & Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for Vegan French fries. Scroll down to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
Both Russet potatoes and Yukon gold potatoes are great options. These two types of potatoes get crispy in the oven. In addition, they become soft and tender inside.
Olive oil helps the fries become crispy. If desired, use melted coconut oil or vegetable oil. The fries will not become crispy without oil.
Both sea salt and black pepper add classic flavors. Feel free to add more.
Garlic powder adds a great subtle garlic flavor. Omit if desired.
Onion powder is a delicious savory flavor. It is not overpowering.
A little paprika adds some spice! If desired, omit entirely. For even more spice, add some cayenne powder.
Taste & Texture
These Vegan French fries taste like classic fries. They are savory and flavorful.
These fries become crispy on the outside! They remain tender inside.
How to Make
First, wash and dry potatoes. Then, slice into fries.
Add fries to a large bowl. Cover with very hot tap water. Allow the potatoes to soak for 20 minutes.
Remove potatoes from bowl. Pat completely dry with paper towels. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line rimmed baking pan with parchment paper.
Add fries to a clean large bowl. Then, add in oil and seasonings.
Toss until fries are completely covered in oil and seasonings.
Arrange fries in one even layer on lined pan.
Bake for 40 minutes, carefully flipping after 20 minutes.
Finally, remove from oven. Serve!
Expert Tips & Tricks
For best results, use Russet potatoes or Yukon gold potatoes. These two varieties get crispy in the oven.
Do not skimp on the oil. The olive oil helps the fries get crispy.
Additionally, do not skimp on the seasonings. They really bring the flavors to life.
Roast until fries are crispy on the outside and fork tender inside.
Consider these flavor variations.
Toss potatoes with cumin powder. Then, serve with salsa and guacamole.
After baking, top with buffalo sauce and Vegan cheese.
Use sweet potatoes instead of regular white potatoes.
Top with Vegan cheese and nacho toppings.
Add BBQ sauce on top.
Where to Buy Vegan French Fries
These fast food restaurants serve Vegan fries.
Kentucky Fried Chicken
There are many brands of frozen Vegan French fries.
Alexia (often not gluten free though)
Walmart Great Value
McCain (not certified gluten free)
How to Serve & Store
Serve Vegan French fries hot and fresh from the oven.
Serve with dipping sauce and condiments.
Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days.
To reheat, bake fries at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 5 to 6 minutes.
Alternatively, air fry 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 4 to 5 minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Vegans can eat most fries. Sometimes, they are cooked in beef fat, making them not Vegan friendly.
No, not all fries are Vegan.
Unfortunately no, McDonald’s French fries are not Vegan. They are cooked in beef fat. They are also not gluten free.
Yes, Burger King’s fries are Vegan.
Yes! This recipe works well with sweet potatoes too.
You May Also Like
- Air Fryer Diced Potatoes
- Mexican Potatoes
- Sous Vide Potatoes
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes
- Air Fryer Home Fries
If you make this Vegan French fry recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Vegan Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Vegan French Fries
- 2 lbs potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- First, wash and dry potatoes. Slice into fries.
- Add fries to a large bowl. Cover with very hot water. Allow the potatoes to soak for 20 minutes.
- Remove potatoes from bowl. Pat completely dry with paper towels. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line rimmed pan with parchment paper.
- Add fries to a clean large bowl. Add in oil and seasonings.
- Toss until fries are completely covered in oil and seasonings.
- Arrange fries in one even layer on lined pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes, carefully flipping after 20 minutes.
- Finally, remove from oven. Serve!
- Use Russet or Yukon gold potatoes for best results.
- Cut potatoes into equal sized fries.
- Soaking the potatoes in water helps remove starch. This creates more crispy fries. This step can be skipped, but the fries will not be quite as crispy.
- Feel free to adjust seasonings.
- Depending on the shape and size of fries, you may need to add more baking time.
- Store leftover fries in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Love these Vegan French fries? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!
2 Comments on “Vegan French Fries”
Thanks for the recipe!
You are welcome, Anthony!