Dairy Free Sour Cream
This dairy free sour cream is smooth, creamy and flavorful! It is the best dairy free sour cream alternative. This recipe takes less than 5 minutes and only 4 ingredients to make. No cashews needed. Great for tacos, burritos, pizza, nachos and more!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This recipe is quick and easy.
- Only 4 ingredients needed.
- No cashews or nuts needed.
- Everything is mixed in one bowl.
- It is versatile.
- As written, this recipe is Whole30 compliant, Paleo, Keto, gluten free, dairy free, Vegan, nut free, sugar free and low carb.
- Check out this No Bean Chili for a delicious recipe to top with sour cream!
Ingredients & Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for dairy free sour cream. Scroll down to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
Use chilled coconut cream. Place in fridge for at least 2 hours beforehand. This allows the hardened coconut cream to be easily scooped out. In addition, this ensures that the sour cream is chilled and ready to eat. The only substitute is unflavored dairy free yogurt, although this may yield a runnier result.
A drop of apple cider vinegar adds a tangy flavor. Feel free to add in a couple more drops if desired. Moreover, apple cider vinegar has a strong flavor so add it slowly.
Lemon juice adds the tartness. It provides the bite.
Add in a pinch of sea salt if desired.
What is Sour Cream?
Sour cream is traditionally made from fermenting cream with bacteria. The type of bacteria is a lactic acid bacteria. The bacteria sours the cream, which in turn creates a thicker cream.
Sour cream is tangy, slightly sour and relatively subtle in flavor.
It is commonly used as a topping. Nachos, pizzas, burritos and potatoes are usually topped with sour cream.
Sour cream can be used in sweet dishes as well. It is a popular addition to cheesecake and muffins. Sour cream provides a delicious moist texture.
Taste & Texture
This dairy free sour cream tastes like classic sour cream. It does not taste like coconut.
The texture is smooth and creamy!
How to Make
First, add all ingredients to a bowl.
Stir to combine.
Taste and add more apple cider vinegar, lemon juice or sea salt if needed.
Finally, serve sour cream.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Use chilled coconut cream. Use a spoon to scoop out the hardened part on top of the canned coconut cream. There may be some coconut water on the bottom. Do not use coconut water for this recipe.
Feel free to use coconut water in smoothies!
Taste and adjust ingredients to suit your preference. Feel free to add in a bit more apple cider vinegar or lemon juice.
How to Serve & Store
Serve homemade sour cream once mixed.
Add this Vegan sour cream to nachos, burritos, taco salads, and more.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Do not freeze this sour cream.
Frequently Asked Questions
I recommend the brand Thai. It is sold in most grocery stores in the baking aisle or Asian food aisle.
Another dairy free substitute for sour cream is unflavored dairy free yogurt.
No, Daisy sour cream is not dairy free.
If needed, use unflavored Vegan yogurt. I highly, highly recommend using coconut cream. Use yogurt only if needed.
You May Also Like
- Whole30 Garlic Aioli
- Paleo Taco Skillet
- Whole30 Taco Stuffed Peppers
- Easy Whole30 Taco Soup
- Whole30 Taco Salad
If you make this dairy free sour cream recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Dairy Free Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Dairy Free Sour Cream
- ½ cup chilled coconut cream, see note
- 1 drop apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- pinch sea salt
- First, add all ingredients to a bowl.
- Stir to combine.
- Taste and add more apple cider vinegar, lemon juice or sea salt if needed.
- Finally, serve!
- Use coconut cream, not coconut milk. Chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours before making this recipe.
- Use a spoon to scoop out the hardened part of the coconut cream. This is the part you will use in this recipe.
- If absolutely necessary, use unflavored dairy free yogurt instead of coconut cream. This may yield a thinner result though.
- Feel free to slightly adjust the ingredient quantities to fit your taste.
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Love this homemade Vegan sour cream? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!