Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
This Chicken Pot Pie Casserole is the definition of comfort food! The chicken and vegetables are savory and hearty, the sauce is smooth and creamy, and the topping adds the perfect amount of texture. In addition, this chicken pot pie casserole is great for a cozy dinner at home or for entertaining. It’s hearty, flavorful and savory and the leftovers are even better the next day! This casserole is one of my favorite Whole30 dinners, right up there with Beef Stew and Pulled Pork.
List of Ingredients for Whole30 Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
CHICKEN: This chicken pot pie casserole uses chicken breasts as the meat. Cut chicken into 1/2 inch cubes. Chicken thighs work just as well.
VEGETABLES: Carrots, green beans and potatoes are the savory and hearty vegetables in this casserole.
COCONUT CREAM: Coconut cream, also known as full fat coconut milk, makes the homemade sauce extra smooth and creamy. My favorite brand is Thai.
CHICKEN BROTH: In combination with the coconut cream, chicken broth adds a ton of flavor to the sauce.
ALMOND POWDER: This almond powder is reminiscent of a gluten free flour and acts as the base of the topping.
SEASONINGS: Garlic powder, onion powder, ground pepper, oregano, basil and poultry seasoning are used in combination for a ton of flavor!
How to Make Whole30 Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
In a large pot of boiling water, add diced carrots, potatoes and green beans. Boil for 10 minutes then remove from heat and drain. Wipe off any excess water.
Meanwhile, cook chicken in a large skillet and then remove from heat and set aside.
Next, add the sauce ingredients (except tapioca flour) to a skillet. Cook until thickened. Remove 1/4 cup of the sauce and mix with tapioca flour. Pour this mixture back into the skillet to thicken sauce.
Then, make the topping. Add all topping ingredients to a small bowl and mix until combined, slowly adding water until a thick dough is formed.
Finally, assemble casserole: add chicken and vegetables into casserole dish. Pour sauce on top. Drop topping dough in clumps on top.
Lastly, top casserole dish with aluminum foil and bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until bubbly.
Tips and Tricks for making Whole30 Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
- Boil vegetables until softened. This will help them become extra tender while baking.
- Chop chicken into uniformly sized pieces; this helps the chicken to cook thoroughly and at the same pace.
- The topping dough should be very thick. Only add enough water until dough is combined.
You May Also Like:
Get the Recipe: Chicken Pot Pie Casserole (Whole30, Paleo)
- First preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and spray a casserole dish with olive oil.
- In a large pot of boiling water, add diced carrots, potatoes and green beans. Boil for 10 minutes then remove from heat and drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, add Octonuts Almond Oil and chopped chicken. Cook, flipping occasionally, until chicken is cooked through. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Next, in a clean skillet, add coconut cream, chicken broth, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, basil and pepper. Mix to combine.
- Carefully remove 1/4 cup of the liquid and add to a small mixing bowl. Stir in tapioca flour until combined.
- Then, pour this mixture into the skillet. Continue whisking over low medium heat until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To make the topping, add Octonuts Almond Protein Powder, coconut flour, butter and poultry seasoning to a mixing bowl. Stir to combine. Then, add in water one tablespoon at a time until a thick dough is formed.
- Lastly, assemble casserole. Add chicken and vegetables into casserole dish. Pour sauce on top. Drop topping dough in clumps on top. Top casserole dish with aluminum foil and bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until bubbly.
- Remove from oven and enjoy!