Whole30 Shepherd’s Pie
This Whole30 Shepherd’s Pie is total comfort food! This classic dish just got a healthy makeover. A hearty and savory meat and vegetable mixture is topped with smooth creamy sweet potatoes. Say hello to this new and improved Shepherd’s Pie!
Why This Recipe Works
This Whole30 Shepherd’s Pie is like a hug in a skillet! This is why it is so great for any night of the week:
- This recipe uses mostly pantry ingredients.
- It is great for meal prep since it reheats well.
- The sweet and savory flavors complement each other really well.
- It is made with wholesome and healthy ingredients.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Wrap each sweet potato in aluminum foil and pierce several times with a fork.
Next, place wrapped sweet potatoes on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for about an hour, until soft and tender.
Meanwhile in a cast iron skillet, add ground beef, onion, green pepper, ghee and carrots. Cook until beef is browned.
Discard excess grease. Then, add remaining ingredients and bring to a light boil. Continue stirring. Reduce heat and let simmer for 20 minutes. Then, set aside.
Once sweet potatoes are done, carefully remove from oven. Remove skins and add flesh to a large mixing bowl. Stir in ghee and coconut cream and mix until smooth and creamy. Alternatively, place sweet potatoes, ghee and coconut cream in a blender and blend until smooth.
Finally, top meat mixture with sweet potatoes and bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes or until edges are bubbly.
Lastly, serve Whole30 Shepherd’s Pie!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is Shepherd’s Pie?
Shepherd’s Pie is a ground meat pie topped with potatoes. Then, the pie is baked. This Shepherd’s Pie is Whole30 approved.
Can I use white potatoes instead of sweet potatoes?
Yes! White potatoes can be directly substituted for the sweet potatoes.
Can I use ground turkey or ground chicken?
Definitely. I suggest using a ground turkey or ground chicken that isn’t too lean.
How do I store leftovers?
Store leftover Shepherd’s Pie in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
How do I reheat leftovers?
To reheat, either microwave or heat in oven at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for about 10 minutes.
You May Also Like
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see it! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I’d love for you to follow along!
Get the Recipe: Whole30 Shepherd’s Pie
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 green pepper, diced
- 1 tbsp ghee, or butter
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
Sweet Potato Topping
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp ghee, or butter
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- First, preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wrap each sweet potato in aluminum foil and pierce several times with a fork. Place each wrapped sweet potato on baking sheet.
- Bake for an hour, or until potatoes are soft and tender.
- Meanwhile, add ground beef, onion, green pepper, ghee and carrots to a cast iron skillet. Cook on medium heat until beef is brown and crumbly, breaking up with a spatula.
- Then, discard excess grease from skillet. Add remaining pie filling ingredients to the skillet.
- Bring to a light boil and continue stirring. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Then remove from heat and set aside.
- Once sweet potatoes are done, carefully remove from oven. Remove skins and add potato flesh to a large mixing bowl. Stir in ghee and coconut cream until smooth and creamy.
- Top meat mixture with sweet potato mixture. Place skillet in oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes or until edges are bubbly.
- Finally, remove from oven and serve.
- Cook ground beef until browned and crumbly. Use a spatula to break apart beef.
- Roast sweet potatoes until soft and tender. Add more baking time if needed!
- To make sweet potato layer extra smooth and creamy, add sweet potatoes, ghee and coconut cream to a blender. Top meat mixture with blended sweet potatoes.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- To reheat, either microwave or heat in oven at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for about 10 minutes.
Have you signed up for my free newsletter? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans and new recipes!