Protein Chocolate Chip Cookies
These protein chocolate chip cookies take only 20 minutes from start to finish! This one bowl recipe requires only 5 healthy ingredients. These protein cookies are easy to make, filled with protein, and so delicious! They are made without flour so they are naturally gluten free and they each contain 11 grams of protein.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- These protein chocolate chip cookies are so quick and easy.
- They have that classic peanut butter chocolate flavor.
- These protein powder chocolate chip cookies require only 5 ingredients.
- No dough chilling required.
- They each have 11 grams of protein.
- They are made without flour, without whey, without butter and without dairy or gluten.
- These cookies are gluten free, dairy free, oil free, and can be adapted for low carb and nut free diets.
- Check out these Vegan Protein Cookies or this Protein Mini Cake for another great dessert!
Ingredients & Substitutions
These cookies are made with only 5 ingredients, so each one is very important.
Use creamy peanut butter made with only peanuts and salt. Peanut butter made with added oils and added sugars will dry out these cookies. Creamy almond butter, cashew butter and SunButter can be used if needed.
The egg is key in binding these cookies together. For an egg free and Vegan option, see these Vegan Protein Cookies.
Loosely packed light brown sugar adds the sweetness. Coconut sugar can be used, but the cookies might be slightly more gritty due to its texture. I have not tried a Keto brown sugar substitute, but I imagine it would be fine. See these Keto Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies for reference.
Choosing the protein powder is important. I highly recommend choosing a vanilla flavored protein powder that has great taste. Certain protein powders are chalky, overly flavorful, and have bad aftertastes. Choose a subtle, vanilla flavored one. I used Nuzest plant based protein in the vanilla flavor which keeps these cookies dairy free.
Dark chocolate chips add some great chocolate flavor! Feel free to substitute semisweet, milk, white or mini chocolate chips. Chocolate chunks also work well.
Taste & Texture
Their taste is largely peanut butter and chocolate. If choosing a subtle protein powder, they only have a very slight protein powder flavor.
These protein cookies are thick and soft. They do not spread much while baking so whichever form the cookies enter the oven in, they will come out as. Make them as thick as you prefer.
Be sure to choose protein powder that is not chalky, otherwise these protein chocolate chip cookies will be dry.
How to Make
First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Add all ingredients except chocolate chips to a mixing bowl. Mix until combined.
Then, fold in dark chocolate chips.
Scoop balls of cookie dough onto lined baking pan. Press down lightly on each cookie with your hands. These cookies hardly spread while baking.
Bake for 9 to 10 minutes or until cookies are set in the middle.
Finally, remove cookies from oven. Allow them to cool on baking pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Use creamy all natural peanut butter made from only peanuts and salt.
Choose a subtle flavored vanilla protein powder. This is key!
These protein chocolate chip cookies do not spread while baking. I suggest pressing down on the balls of cookie dough before baking. They retain their shape while baking, so whatever they look like going into the oven is how they will end up looking.
Bake the cookies until they are just barely set in the middle. This will keep them moist.
Choosing a protein powder is very important for these protein chocolate chip cookies.
Choose a vanilla flavored protein powder for best results. Some protein powders are overly chalky and have bad aftertastes. Choose one that has a great flavor to begin with.
These cookies will only have a very slight protein powder taste unless you choose one that is overly flavorful.
For dairy free and whey free, choose a protein powder made without whey. Plant based protein powders are great!
How to Serve & Store
Serve protein chocolate chip cookies once they are cool enough to handle. They go well with a tall glass of milk!
Store covered at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Freeze for up to 1 month.
Frequently Asked Questions
I would not suggest using protein powder instead of flour in most cookie recipes. This one is designed for protein powder.
While protein powder can resemble flour in cookies, it is typically more dense and concentrated than flour. Protein powder is a great addition to cookies!
Yes, these cookies are dairy free with a dairy free protein powder.
I have not tried using a brown sugar substitute, but I imagine any granulated sugar would be fine.
You May Also Like
If you make this chocolate chip protein cookies recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Dessert Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Protein Chocolate Chip Cookies
- First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Add all ingredients except chocolate chips to a mixing bowl. Mix until combined.
- Fold in dark chocolate chips.
- Scoop balls of dough onto lined baking pan. Press down lightly on each cookie. These cookies do not spread much while baking.
- Bake for 9 to 10 minutes or until cookies are set in the middle.
- Finally, remove cookies from oven. Allow them to cool on pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Use a creamy, all natural peanut butter made with only peanuts and salt.
- Peanut butters made with added oils and sugars will alter the texture of these cookies.
- Any creamy nut butter can be used.
- The cookies will have a slight protein powder taste so use your favorite protein powder.
- I used Nuzest vanilla plant based protein.
- Store leftover cookies covered at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- Freeze for up to 1 month if desired.
Love these protein chocolate chip cookies? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!