Edible Brownie Batter
This edible brownie batter is everything you love about brownies, but it is no bake and totally safe to eat! One of my all time favorite recipes is my Crinkle Top Brownies, but sometimes the craving hits for brownie batter. This recipe is super easy and takes only 5 minutes to make!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This edible brownie batter takes only 5 minutes to make.
- It is made with only 7 ingredients.
- It tastes like just like raw brownie batter!
- Since this recipe is made without eggs and without dairy it is safe to consume.
- This recipe is a great quick dessert or snack.
- This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, and Vegan. Use coconut milk to make it nut free.
- Check out this Gluten Free Edible Cookie Dough for another great idea!
Ingredients & Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and their substitutions. See recipe card below for full recipe and instructions.
Gluten free to 1 to 1 flour or all purpose flour can be used. This flour is heat treated, making it safe to eat.
Refined coconut oil has a neutral flavor, whereas unrefined has a slight coconut flavor. If not dairy free, use melted butter.
Granulated sugar sweetens this edible brownie batter. Coconut sugar can be substituted for a refined sugar free version.
In addition, maple syrup adds a great natural sweetness. Replace maple syrup with honey if desired.
Cocoa powder provides the chocolate flavor.
Any type of milk can be used. For nut free, use coconut milk, cow’s milk or oat milk.
Lastly, any type of chocolate chips or chocolate chunks work well.
Taste & Texture
This edible brownie batter is rich, decadent, and filled with chocolate. It tastes very similar to raw brownie dough.
The texture is a little thicker than boxed brownie batter. Typically, brownie batter is somewhat thin. I purposely made this a little thicker so it is edible with a spoon.
How To Make
First, heat treat flour. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line baking pan with parchment paper.
Spread flour onto lined pan. Bake for 5 minutes. Then remove from oven.
In a mixing bowl, add melted coconut oil and sugar. Stir to combine.
Next, add in heat treated flour and all remaining ingredients except chocolate chips. Stir to combine.
Then, fold in chocolate chips. Serve!
Here is a Paleo friendly version of this edible brownie batter. It tastes very similar, but it is Paleo and grain free.
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 cup almond flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp almond milk
- dark chocolate chips to garnish
Here are the instructions.
First, add dark chocolate chips and coconut oil to a microwave safe dish. Melt in 30 second increments, stopping to stir between each.
Once smooth and creamy, add to a large mixing bowl.
Next, sift in almond flour and cocoa powder. Stir to combine.
Then, stir in maple syrup and almond milk.
Once combined, add additional chocolate chips if desired.
Refrigerate batter for 20 minutes for best results. Once chilled, serve!
Expert Tips & Tricks
Heat treat the flour. This kills off any bacteria that may be in the bag of flour. Heat treating flour to 160 degrees Fahrenheit is considered safe to eat by the FDA.
Stir the melted coconut oil and granulated sugar until mixed. This allows the sugar to dissolve in the coconut oil.
This edible brownie batter tastes best as soon as it is made.
Unlike regular brownie batter, this version is not thin and runny. This enables you to eat it with a spoon. Feel free to add a little more milk for a thinner batter. Then it becomes more like a creamy brownie dip!
How To Serve & Store
Serve immediately. It goes well with a tall glass of milk. Dip in pretzels or crackers!
Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Variations & Add Ins
This recipe is great as is, but consider add these add ins.
Mini chocolate chips
Drop of mint extract
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, this brownie batter is safe to eat when the flour is heat treated.
I do not recommend baking this batter. It will not turn out correctly.
Yes, this recipe is both Vegan and dairy free as written.
No, unfortunately this recipe is not meant to be baked. For the best brownies ever, try these Crinkle Top Brownies.
You May Also Like
If you make this edible brownie batter recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Dessert Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Edible Brownie Batter
- First, heat treat flour. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line baking pan with parchment paper.
- Spread flour onto lined pan. Bake for 5 minutes. Then remove from oven.
- In a mixing bowl, add melted coconut oil and sugar. Stir to combine.
- Next, add in heat treated flour and all remaining ingredients except chocolate chips. Stir to combine.
- Then, fold in chocolate chips. Serve!
- Use favorite type of chocolate chips. For Vegan, use Vegan chocolate chips.
- If not dairy free, melted butter can be used in place of coconut oil.
- Both gluten free 1 to 1 flour and all purpose flour can be used.
- Any type of milk works!
- This is best eaten fresh, but can be stored in fridge for up to 3 days. It will firm up, so allow the brownie batter to come to room temperature before eating.
- I do not recommend trying to bake this brownie batter.
Love this edible brownie batter? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!