Paleo Braised Short Ribs
These Paleo Braised Short Ribs are fall off the bone, melt in your mouth tender! They are extra hearty, savory, and filled with so much flavor. I teamed up with a local grocery store called McKinnon’s Meat Market for this recipe. I love supporting local businesses, and this market had everything I needed for this dinner. Not only do they have high quality meat, but they have so many great gluten free and healthy food products. In addition, the Portsmouth, New Hampshire location is now offering convenient curbside pickup!
What Are Braised Short Ribs?
Short ribs are a cut of meat from the rib, chuck, plate or brisket areas of a cattle. Short ribs can be boneless or bone in; I used bone in for this recipe. Individually sliced short ribs are known as English cut. Braise means to quickly fry food then slowly cook it while covered. In this case, the short ribs are quickly seared in olive oil then cooked for several hours in a Dutch oven.
Short ribs are a high quality cut of beef. When braised, they are extremely tender and flavorful.
Olive oil is a great healthy cooking fat to sear the short ribs in.
Finely chopped onions add a nice pop of flavor to the short ribs.
Garlic makes everything better! Moreover, just a tablespoon of minced garlic goes a long way in terms of flavor.
To keep these braised short ribs Whole30 and Paleo, tart cherry juice replaces the traditional red wine. In addition, cherry juice adds the perfect amount of tartness and sweetness.
Beef broth and tart cherry juice combine for the most flavorful gravy.
Tomato paste helps to thicken the gravy.
A little sprig of rosemary adds a ton of fresh flavor!
How to Make
First, preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Add olive oil and short ribs to Dutch oven over medium heat on the stovetop.
Cook short ribs for 3 minutes on both sides. Remove from Dutch oven.
Next, add in chopped onions and minced garlic. Cook for 3 minutes.
Place short ribs back in the Dutch oven. Add in tart cherry juice, beef broth and tomato paste. Bring to a light boil before removing from heat.
Then, place a sprig of rosemary in Dutch oven.
Place Dutch oven in preheated oven and cook for 2 1/2 hours, or until meat is cooked through and tender.
Finally, remove from oven and serve over mashed cauliflower or potatoes.
What to Serve with Braised Short Ribs
You May Also Like
Get the Recipe: Paleo Braised Short Ribs
- First, preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Add olive oil to a large Dutch oven over medium heat on the stovetop. Season short ribs with sea salt and pepper before adding to Dutch oven.
- Brown for 3 minutes on both sides. Then, remove from Dutch oven.
- Add in chopped onion and minced garlic. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Next, add short ribs back to the Dutch oven. Add in cherry juice, beef broth, tomato paste and bring to a light boil. Remove from heat.
- Carefully place a sprig of rosemary in the Dutch oven before placing in the oven.
- Then, cook for 2 1/2 hours, or until meat is cooked through and tender.
- Then, remove from oven. Serve over mashed cauliflower or potatoes if desired. Lastly, pour gravy on top of short ribs.
- Searing the short ribs gives them a nice color and flavor.
- The cherry juice acts like red wine in this recipe. Feel free to use red wine if desired.
- Cook until short ribs reach an internal temperature of 200 to 205 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Use a meat thermometer for best results.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days.