Paleo Gluten Free Samoa Cookies
These Paleo Gluten Free Samoa Cookies are so fun and festive. In addition to being a healthier version of a classic, they’re filled with the best flavors and ingredients. The shortbread cookies are thin and crispy. The homemade caramel is sweet and sticky. Lastly, the chocolate drizzle is the perfect garnish. These Paleo Samoa Bars and Paleo Thin Mints are fun too!
INGREDIENTS FOR GLUTEN FREE SAMOA COOKIES
HOMEMADE CARAMEL & COCONUT FLAKES: The homemade caramel is made with a mixture of coconut cream and maple syrup. Once thickened, coconut flakes are stirred in to create the perfect sticky and sweet sauce.
CHOCOLATE DRIZZLE: Just dark chocolate chips and coconut oil are needed!
HOW TO MAKE GLUTEN FREE SAMOA COOKIES
There are three components to these Paleo Samoa Cookies: the shortbread cookies, the homemade caramel sauce and the chocolate dip.
First, make the homemade caramel sauce. Combine the caramel ingredients (listed below) and bring to a light boil. Then, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until thickened. Stir in coconut flakes.
While the caramel is simmering, make the shortbread cookies. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Mix together shortbread cookies and roll out to 1/4 inch thick. Use a cookie cutter to cut into circles. Lastly, cut inner circles with a straw or knife.
Place cookies on baking sheet and bake for only 6 to 7 minutes.
Then, allow cookies to cool before topping with caramel mixture.
Freeze cookies for 20 minutes. Melt chocolate and coconut oil in the microwave.
Use a fork to lower the bottom half of each cookie into the chocolate. Next, place back on baking sheet and drizzle chocolate on top.
Lastly, Freeze cookies for 20 minutes or until chocolate has hardened.
ARE THERE GLUTEN FREE GIRL SCOUT COOKIES?
Every year, Girl Scouts debut one or two Gluten Free Girl Scout cookies! This is great for those of us who are gluten free. This version is entirely gluten free, dairy free, and Vegan. In addition, they’re so fun to make!
ARE SAMOA COOKIES GLUTEN FREE?
No, Girl Scout Samoa Cookies aren’t gluten free but this version is!
Get the Recipe: Paleo Gluten Free Samoa Cookies
- First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Make the caramel sauce first. Add all caramel ingredients except coconut flakes to a skillet and stir to combine. Bring to a light boil. Then, turn heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes or until sauce has thickened. Stir every 1 to 2 minutes to prevent burning. Remove from heat and stir in coconut flakes.
- To make shortbread cookies, all shortbread ingredients to a large mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
- Use 2 sheets of parchment paper and a rolling pin to roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Using a cookie cutter, cut out 2 inch circles. For the smaller inner circle, use a large straw or knife to cut out the center.
- Place cookies on baking sheet and bake for only 6 to 7 minutes or until set.
- Remove cookies from oven and allow to cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Once caramel sauce has thickened and cookies have cooled, carefully spoon caramel mixture onto each cookie. Place cookies in freezer for 20 minutes.
- To make chocolate drizzle, melt chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl in 30 second increments. Use a fork to carefully lower the bottoms of each cookie into chocolate mixture before placing back on baking sheet. Repeat for each cookie. Drizzle leftover chocolate over the top of each cookie.
- Place cookies back in the freezer for 20 minutes or until chocolate has hardened.
- Caramel sauce will thicken as it cooks. Do not burn.
- Bake cookies until they are set but not burnt. They only need 6 or 7 minutes.
- After assembling cookies, freeze until firm. Since the caramel sauce is gooey, these cookies need to be frozen or chilled.