PALEO BLUEBERRY CRUMB BARS
These Paleo Blueberry Crumb Bars are light, fresh, and so flavorful! The shortbread crust is sturdy while the homemade blueberry jam is sweet and gooey. The crumble topping is just the perfect cherry on top! These blueberry bars are great for any time of the year and can be made with fresh or thawed blueberries.
Ingredients for Paleo Blueberry Crumb Bars
ALMOND FLOUR: Almond flour is a popular Paleo flour for baking. It’s slightly nutty, a little hearty, and the the perfect flour for these Paleo Blueberry Crumb Bars.
COCONUT FLOUR: A little bit of coconut flour goes a long way. It balances out the almond flour.
COCONUT OIL: Coconut oil is a great Vegan baking fat. Use refined coconut oil for no coconut flavor.
MAPLE SYRUP: Pure maple syrup is a delicious natural sweetener! It is used in both the shortbread layer and blueberry jam.
VANILLA EXTRACT: Just a little bit is added to the shortbread layer.
BLUEBERRIES: The heart of the jam is fresh blueberries. If using frozen, thaw completely then squeeze out all excess water.
LEMON JUICE: Lemon juice really brings out the flavor of the blueberries.
TAPIOCA FLOUR: Similar to cornstarch, tapioca flour thickens the homemade blueberry jam layer.
WATER: If the blueberry jam is too thick, add a little bit of water at a time.
How To Make Paleo Blueberry Crumb Bars
To make Paleo Blueberry Crumb Bars, first preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Then, line an 8 inch by 8 inch glass pan with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, combine ingredients for shortbread crust. Then, stir until mixed.
Press 3/4 of this dough into bottom of pan, reserving 1/4 of the dough for topping.
Bake for 12 minutes, or until just starting to turn golden around the edges.
While the shortbread layer is baking, in a medium saucepan over medium heat, add blueberry jam ingredients. Simmer blueberry mixture for 4 to 5 minutes or until blueberries are mostly melted and sauce has thickened. Next, remove from heat.
Pour this over shortbread layer. Then, sprinkle remaining dough over the blueberry layer in clumps.
Finally, return to oven and bake 18-22 minutes.
How to Make Homemade Jam for Blueberry Crumb Bars
Most jams and jellies aren’t Paleo friendly. They oftentimes contain added preservatives and sugars. While these taste great and are convenient, making homemade blueberry jam is super easy! Simply bring the jam ingredients to a light simmer in a skillet. Simmer for 4 to 5 minutes, or until mixture has started to thicken. Break apart blueberries with a spatula. For a more runny jam, add water until desired consistency is reached. Store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Get the Recipe: Paleo Blueberry Crumb Bars
Shortbread Crust and Topping
- First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line an 8 inch by 8 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine shortbread crust ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Next, press 3/4 of this mixture into the bottom of the parchment lined baking pan. Set aside the remainder.
- Bake for 12 minutes, or until just starting to turn golden around the edges. Remove from oven.
- Then, in a medium skillet over medium heat, add blueberry jam ingredients. Bring to a light simmer.
- Simmer for 4 to 5 minutes, using a spatula to break apart blueberries. Simmer until thickened. Then, remove from heat.
- Pour this blueberry jam over the baked shortbread crust. After that, crumble remaining shortbread dough over blueberries.
- Lastly, bake for 18 to 22 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool at least 30 minutes before slicing.