Keto Chocolate Frosting (2 Ingredients)
This Keto Chocolate Frosting is smooth, creamy, and perfect for any dessert! It is made with only 2 ingredients. This Paleo chocolate frosting is great for cupcakes, cakes, cookies, and eating by the spoonful!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This low carb Keto chocolate frosting is super easy to make.
- It is smooth, creamy, and spreadable.
- This 2 ingredient chocolate frosting is incredibly rich and decadent!
- Unlike most Keto frosting, it is made without butter, without powdered sugar, without cocoa powder, without heavy cream, without sugar, and without cream cheese.
- In addition to being Keto, this recipe is Paleo, gluten free, dairy free, Vegan, low carb and sugar free.
- Check out this Vegan Vanilla Frosting for its vanilla counterpart.
Ingredients & Substitutions
The only two ingredients are clearly very important!
Canned coconut milk contains a hardened part on top and a liquid substance underneath. For this recipe, scoop out only the hardened part on top. Use the liquid part for smoothies and sauces.
Alternatively, use one can of full fat coconut cream (which contains only the thick hardened part).
The reason I suggest using the two cans of coconut milk as opposed to one can of coconut cream is because the coconut milk liquid substance can be added in small quantities for a thinner frosting. Add just a tablespoon or two of the liquid substance to the mixing bowl for a lighter and more airy frosting.
Keto friendly chocolate chips add the chocolate flavor! I use and like Lily’s dark chocolate chips.
I have also tested this recipe using Enjoy Life dark chocolate chips, which are Vegan and gluten free but not Keto. It came out great!
Is Frosting Keto?
Traditional frosting is not Keto. Most store bought and homemade frostings are loaded with sugars and carbs.
The way to combat this is to use coconut milk and sugar free chocolate chips. Both of these ingredients are very low in both sugar and carbs.
This Keto chocolate frosting is great for Paleo and Keto desserts. In addition, it is very rich and creamy and tastes better than store bought anyway!
How to Make
First, remove hardened part of coconut milk from cans. Save liquid part for another use.
Then, pour this into a large microwave safe bowl. Add in chocolate chips.
Microwave in 30 second increments, stirring between each. Microwave until smooth and creamy.
Then, place bowl in fridge. Chill for at least 2 hours.
Once ready to serve, remove from fridge. Use hand mixer or stand mixer to whip frosting until fluffy.
Finally, add to piping bag or use knife to spread frosting onto desired desserts!
Expert Tips & Tricks
Use only the hardened part of the coconut milk for best results. As mentioned above, adding a little bit of the liquid part of the coconut milk yields a lighter, more mousse like consistency.
Melt chocolate chips and coconut milk until completely smooth and creamy. Stop every 30 seconds to stir to prevent burning.
The longer this frosting chills in the fridge, the thicker it will end up being.
Once ready to whip, use a hand mixer or even stand mixer. I placed my bowl underneath my KitchenAid with the whisk attachment and rotated the bowl with my hands.
Trying to whisk by hand is very difficult due to its thickness.
Keto Chocolate Brands
Here are some great brands of Keto chocolate.
Kiss My Keto dark chocolate
How to Thicken & Thin
To thicken this frosting, chill frosting for longer than 2 hours. Four hours is a good amount of time. Then, whip until fluffy.
To thin this frosting, add a couple tablespoons of the liquid part of the coconut milk to the mixing bowl before microwaving. In addition, chill for less than 2 hours for a lighter frosting. I recommend chilling about an hour.
How to Serve & Store
Spread frosting after whipping it. It spreads well with a frosting knife or use a piping bag.
Store frosting in fridge when not using. Before using, allow it to thaw for a few minutes before spreading.
This frosting can be frozen. Spread into a Ziplock baggie and smooth out so that the frosting is all in one thin layer. Thaw before use.
Frequently Asked Questions
Use Keto chocolate chips for Keto. I suggest using Lily’s dark chocolate chips.
Canned coconut milk is super thick and creamy coconut milk. Unlike carton coconut milk, canned coconut milk is not diluted.
Sure! Coconut cream contains only the thick hardened part so it will work well.
You May Also Like
Get the Recipe: Keto Chocolate Frosting (2 Ingredients)
- First, open coconut milk cans. Scoop out the hardened part on top and set aside the liquid part.
- Add the hardened milk to a large microwave safe dish. Add in chocolate chips.
- Microwave in 30 second increments, stopping to stir between each increment. Microwave until completely smooth and creamy.
- Then, place bowl in fridge. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, up to 4 hours. The longer it chills, the thicker it will be.
- After chilling, remove bowl from fridge. Use hand mixer to whip frosting until fluffy.
- Finally, transfer to piping bag or use knife to begin frosting cupcakes, cakes, cookies, and more.
- Use only the hardened part of the canned coconut milk. Alternatively, use canned coconut cream which contains only the thick hardened part.
- Use leftover coconut milk liquid in smoothies and sauces if desired.
- For Keto, use sugar free chocolate chips.
- Stop and stir between each microwave increment to prevent burning. Mine only took two 30 second increments.
- The longer this frosting chills, the thicker it will become.
- Use stand mixer to whip frosting until fluffy. A handheld whisk or spoon is not strong enough. This frosting is rich and thick!
- Store leftovers in fridge. Allow frosting to thaw at room temperature until creamy enough to spread.
Love this Keto Chocolate Frosting? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans and new recipes!