Healthy Pumpkin Muffins
These healthy pumpkin muffins are truly the best! They are soft, fluffy, moist and warmly spiced. This quick and easy recipe takes less than 30 minutes total. They are great for breakfast, snacks or healthier desserts. Both kids and adults love them!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- These healthy pumpkin muffins are quick and easy.
- Only one mixing bowl needed.
- They are made with wholesome nutritious ingredients.
- Great for both kids and adults.
- These muffins can be enjoyed any time of the day.
- The pumpkin adds moisture, health benefits and flavor.
- This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, and refined sugar free. Use oat milk or coconut milk for nut free.
- Check out these Vegan Pumpkin Muffins for another delicious recipe!
Ingredients & Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for healthy pumpkin muffins. Scroll down to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
Two eggs help bind these muffins together. Do not use a Vegan egg replacement or flax eggs.
Use pumpkin purée, not pumpkin pie filling. Baking with pumpkin adds moisture and flavor.
Melted coconut oil adds a nutritional benefit. If needed, replace with melted butter or avocado oil. Olive oil will be a little too intense for this recipe.
These healthy chocolate chip pumpkin muffins are sweetened with maple syrup. Use pure maple syrup or honey.
Any type of dairy free milk works. For nut free, use oat milk or coconut milk. If not dairy free, feel free to use regular milk.
A little vanilla adds a great warmth.
Both regular all purpose flour and gluten free 1 to 1 flour work well. For an almond flour version, try these Pumpkin Protein Muffins.
Pumpkin pie spice adds a great fall flavor! If needed, replace with more cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg.
Cinnamon adds a warm flavor.
Baking soda helps these muffins rise.
Any type of chocolate chips work. I used Hu Kitchen, which are gluten free, dairy free and naturally sweetened.
Taste & Texture
These healthy pumpkin muffins taste like pumpkin and chocolate. The pumpkin flavor is perfect without being overpowering. The pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon add a great warmth.
These muffins are soft, fluffy and moist. In addition, they are not dry or bland.
How to Make
First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Generously spray a muffin pan with nonstick spray.
In a large mixing bowl, add eggs, pumpkin purée, melted coconut oil, maple syrup, milk and vanilla. Stir to combine.
Then, add in flour, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon and baking soda. Stir to combine.
Fold in the chocolate chips.
Divide batter into sprayed muffin pan. Add extra chocolate chips on top if desired.
Bake for 17 to 19 minutes or until muffins no longer look gooey in the middle. Insert toothpick; if it comes out with moist crumbs, muffins are done.
Finally, remove healthy pumpkin muffins from oven. Allow muffins to cool for 10 minutes in pan before removing.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Carefully measure all ingredients.
If needed, replace melted coconut oil with melted butter or avocado oil.
Use pumpkin purée, not pumpkin pie filling.
If desired, replace pure maple syrup with honey.
Use either all purpose flour or gluten free 1 to 1 flour. Do not replace with another flour.
Generously spray muffin pan with nonstick spray. Otherwise the muffins will stick to the pan.
Since the batter is a little sticky, use an ice cream scoop to add batter to muffin pan. Alternatively, use a large spoon.
Do not over bake muffins. Insert toothpick into muffins. If it comes out with only moist crumbs, remove from oven.
Allow healthy pumpkin muffins to cool for 10 minutes in pan. This allows them to set.
Flavor Variations & Add Ins
Consider these mix ins for your muffins.
Add in a pinch of nutmeg.
Add in a pinch of ground ginger.
Use mini chocolate chips.
Use white chocolate chips.
Mix in chopped walnuts or pecans.
Try these healthy Sweet Potato Muffins too!
Add in dried cranberries.
How to Serve & Store
Serve healthy pumpkin muffins once cool enough to handle.
These muffins go well with coffee, hot chocolate or tea. For a dessert spread, serve alongside these Pumpkin Spice Cookies!
Store muffins covered at room temperature for up to 2 days.
Freeze muffins for up to 1 month.
Frequently Asked Questions
Use gluten free flour to ensure they are gluten free.
I have not tried this yet. I imagine it would be very delicious, albeit a little dense.
Pumpkin adds a dense and moist texture. In addition, it adds pumpkin flavor.
If needed, replace with more cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg.
You May Also Like
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Muffins
- Pumpkin Brownies
- Pumpkin Sugar Cookies
- Healthy Pumpkin Cookies
- Almond Flour Pumpkin Bread
If you make this healthy pumpkin muffin recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along! Check out these Breakfast Recipes for more great ideas.
Get the Recipe: Healthy Pumpkin Muffins
- First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Generously spray a muffin pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, add eggs, pumpkin purée, melted coconut oil, maple syrup, milk and vanilla. Stir to combine.
- Then, add in flour, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon and baking soda. Stir to combine.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Divide batter into greased muffin pan. Dot with extra chocolate chips on top if desired.
- Bake for 17 to 19 minutes or until muffins no longer look gooey in the middle.
- Finally, remove from oven. Allow muffins to cool for 10 minutes in pan before removing.
- Feel free to replace melted coconut oil with melted butter or avocado oil.
- Maple syrup can be replaced by honey.
- Both gluten free 1 to 1 flour and all purpose flour work in this recipe.
- Use any type of chocolate chips.
- This recipe makes about 10 muffins. Use a large spoon or ice cream scooper to add batter to muffin pan.
- Bake until muffins are no longer gooey in the middle. Mine were perfect at 18 minutes.
- Store muffins covered at room temperature for up to 2 days.
- These muffins freeze well.
Love these healthy pumpkin muffins? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!