Edible Sugar Cookie Dough
This edible sugar cookie dough takes less than 10 minutes and it is the best little dessert! It is completely safe to eat and requires only a few pantry staple ingredients. This sugar cookie dough is buttery, sweet and smooth.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This edible sugar cookie dough is quick and easy to make.
- It uses heat treated flour.
- This dough is eggless and completely safe to eat.
- The recipe calls for pantry staples.
- Feel free to add in sprinkles, mini chocolate chips, white chocolate chips and more fun add ins!
- This recipe can be made with gluten free 1 to 1 flour or all purpose flour.
- This is a great Christmas and holiday recipe.
- This dough cannot be baked, but check out these Sugar Cookies with Sprinkles!
- With gluten free flour, this recipe is gluten free and nut free.
- Check out this Gluten Free Cookie Dough for another fun recipe!
Ingredients & Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for edible sugar cookie dough. Scroll down to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
Both gluten free 1 to 1 flour and all purpose flour can be used. Do not use almond flour, coconut flour, cassava flour or oat flour. Heat treat flour to kill off any harmful bacteria in raw flour.
Cold butter adds a great buttery flavor! Use butter right from your fridge. Softened or melted butter may create a greasy texture.
White sugar sweetens this dough. This cookie dough is made without brown sugar. Brown sugar would darken this dough and create a different flavor.
Vanilla extract adds a great classic cookie flavor.
Add in a pinch of sea salt if using unsalted butter.
Lastly, sprinkles are a great fun addition. Feel free to omit if needed.
Heat Treated Flour
Heat treating flour is important to create a safe cookie dough. This process is easy, quick and simple.
To heat treat flour, spread flour on a baking pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 5 minutes. Then, allow flour to cool down before using.
This eliminates any harmful bacteria such as E. coli that lives in raw flour.
Although a microwave can be used, flour easily burns in the microwave. This creates a burnt flavor. For this reason, I highly recommend heat treating flour in the oven.
Taste & Texture
This edible sugar cookie dough is sweet and buttery. It tastes very similar to the bake and break sugar cookie dough.
The texture is smooth and creamy!
How to Make
First, heat treat flour. Spread flour on a baking pan. Bake this for 5 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Then, set aside to cool.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter and white sugar until no clumps of butter remain.
Then, add in all remaining ingredients except sprinkles. Stir to combine.
Fold in sprinkles.
Finally, serve edible sugar cookie dough!
Expert Tips & Tricks
Heat treat flour. This is easy, quick, and makes this dough safe to eat.
Use cold butter right from the fridge.
Use a stand mixer to beat butter and white sugar until completely mixed.
Once stored, the dough becomes a little firm. Thaw at room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes bfore eating.
Flavor Variations & Add Ins
Consider these add ins to your super easy edible sugar cookie dough.
Mini chocolate chips
White chocolate chips
How to Serve & Store
Serve edible sugar cookie dough once mixed. No need to refrigerate it immediately. Dig in!
Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 48 hours. Thaw at room temperature before eating.
This dough freezes well. Thaw before consumption.
Frequently Asked Questions
Regular sugar cookie dough is not safe to eat. It usually contains raw eggs and raw flour. This recipe is completely safe to eat!
No, this dough is not meant to be baked. It does not contain eggs or a leavening agent, such as baking soda.
Yes, this is important to ensure this dough is safe.
You May Also Like
- Gluten Free Edible Cookie Dough
- Edible Pumpkin Cookie Dough
- Cookie Dough Bites
- Edible Snickerdoodle Dough
- Edible Brownie Batter
If you make this edible sugar cookie dough recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Dessert Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Edible Sugar Cookie Dough
- First, heat treat flour. Spread flour on a baking pan. Bake for 5 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Set aside to cool.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter and white sugar until no clumps of butter remain.
- Then, add in all remaining ingredients except sprinkles. Stir to combine.
- Fold in sprinkles.
- Finally, serve!
- Heat treat flour to remove any harmful bacteria found in raw flour.
- Although you can microwave flour to heat treat it, I recommend using your oven. Flour burns easily in the microwave.
- Both gluten free 1 to 1 flour and all purpose flour can be used.
- Use cold butter right from the fridge. This prevents the dough from becoming greasy due to melted butter.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 48 hours. Allow dough to sit at room temperature fora few minutes to thaw out before eating.
Love this super easy edible sugar cookie dough? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!