Coconut Milk Pasta Sauce (Vegan)
This coconut milk pasta sauce is super creamy, flavorful and savory! It is easy to make and only requires a few healthy ingredients. This pasta sauce is great for your favorite pasta, chicken, and spaghetti squash! This post is sponsored by Bona Furtuna, but all thoughts and options are my own.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This coconut milk pasta sauce is incredibly creamy.
- It has the texture and consistency of a Vodka sauce.
- This “Vegan Vodka sauce” is packed with flavor.
- The sauce is made completely in one skillet.
- This recipe is Whole30 friendly if served with spaghetti squash or hearts of palm.
- In addition, this recipe is Paleo friendly, gluten free, dairy free, and Vegan.
Ingredients & Substitutions
Any pasta works well! I love a gluten free rigatoni or penne. Even spaghetti squash or hearts of palm work for Whole30 and Paleo.
The olive oil is the perfect cooking fat to soften the onions and cook the garlic. If desired, avocado oil works well too.
The chopped onion adds a ton of flavor! Finely chop onion.
Minced garlic goes well with the pasta sauce. Freshly minced garlic is the best.
A teaspoon of red pepper flakes is just enough to add a little spice and heat! Omit for a much less spicy dish.
The pasta sauce adds a classic Italian flavor to this sauce. I used and loved Bona Furtuna marinara sauce with basil which has the best flavor. This brand is also Whole30 compliant and added sugar free.
Canned coconut milk is so thick and creamy! Shake or stir before use. Coconut milk naturally separates so it is important to stir before adding to the skillet. Canned coconut cream is probably too thick for this recipe.
What is Coconut Milk?
Coconut milk is coconut flesh blended with water to create a smooth and creamy milk like substance. This extra thick and creamy milk is entirely dairy free and Vegan.
Coconut milk is sold by the carton or in cans. Carton coconut milk is typically much thinner than canned. Canned coconut milk is much thicker than traditional milk. It has the consistency of cream.
For this recipe, use canned coconut milk. Shake well before using.
This is what canned coconut milk looks like before stirring.
Taste & Texture
This Vegan pasta sauce has a creamy marinara sauce and tomato flavor. Since my pasta sauce contained basil, the basil taste is strong too.
The texture is creamy and smooth!
How to Make
First, cook pasta according to package directions.
Add olive oil, chopped onion, minced garlic and red pepper flakes to a large skillet over medium heat.
Cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until onion has softened. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
Then, add in pasta sauce and coconut milk. Stir to combine.
Simmer over medium heat until sauce has reached desired consistency. The longer it simmers, the thicker it will become.
Lastly, drain pasta and stir in sauce. Serve!
Expert Tips & Tricks
Shake or stir coconut milk before using. It naturally separates in the can.
Finely chop onions. Cook onions until softened.
Continue simmering sauce until desired consistency has been reached. The longer it simmers, the thicker the sauce will become.
How to Serve & Store
Serve coconut milk pasta sauce hot! It goes well with pasta, spaghetti squash, and chicken.
In addition, these Whole30 Turkey Meatballs are delicious with this sauce.
Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Frequently Asked Questions
No, this sauce does not taste like coconut. It has a strong marinara flavor.
Any other milk will yield runny sauce. Canned coconut milk adds so much creaminess and thickness.
Basil and oregano are great herbs to add to the sauce.
Gluten free rigatoni is sold on Amazon.
You May Also Like
Get the Recipe: Coconut Milk Pasta Sauce (Vegan)
- First, cook pasta according to package directions.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add olive oil, chopped onion, minced garlic and red pepper flakes.
- Cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until onions have softened, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
- Then, add in pasta sauce and coconut milk. Stir to combine.
- Simmer on medium until sauce has thickened to desired consistency. Mine took about 5 minutes to thicken.
- Finally, drain pasta and stir in sauce. Serve!
- Use any pasta! I used a gluten free Rigatoni.
- Stir or shake canned coconut milk before use since it naturally separates. It is usually sold in the Asian aisle at grocery stores.
- The longer the sauce simmers, the thicker it will become.
- The pasta sauce I used contains basil. If yours does not, feel free to add in basil to the sauce.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Love this coconut milk pasta sauce? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!