Whole30 Chicken Parmesan
This Whole30 Chicken Parmesan is crispy, hearty and so savory! This classic dish just got a healthy Whole30 makeover. This dinner can be on your table in about 30 minutes flat!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
This Italian comfort food is always a winner. Here is why it is on repeat at my house:
- It is a healthier version of a classic dish!
- The flavors are bold and strong.
- The chicken is coated in a crispy breading.
- The homemade Whole30 cashew cheese sauce is so creamy and delicious!
- It is Whole30 approved, Paleo, Grain Free, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, and Sugar Free!
First, Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Place chicken between sheets of parchment paper and pound until 1/2 inch thick.
In a shallow bowl, add whisked egg. In another shallow bowl, add remaining ingredients to coat the chicken in. Dip each piece of chicken first in the egg mixture then in the seasoning mixture. Repeat until all chicken has been coated.
Then, heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Next, add chicken and cook for about 3 minutes on each side, until fully cooked through.
Then, remove chicken from heat. Add marinara sauce to a large casserole dish and place chicken on top of sauce.
To make the Whole30 cashew cheese, simply add ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
Next, top each piece of chicken with remaining marinara sauce and cheese sauce. Then bake in oven for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from oven and serve!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What type of chicken should I use?
For this Whole30 chicken parmesan, boneless skinless chicken breasts work best. Chicken thighs work well also. I do not suggest using bone in chicken because it will alter cooking time.
Can you have Parmesan cheese on Whole30?
No, parmesan cheese in not allowed on Whole30.
What can I use instead of breadcrumbs for chicken parmesan?
In this recipe, almond flour and tapioca flour replace the breadcrumbs.
Is cashew cheese Whole30 approved?
Yes! Cashew cheese is a dairy free substitute for cheese and is Whole30 compliant.
How do I store leftovers?
Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the fridge.
How do I reheat leftovers?
To reheat leftovers, place chicken in an oven safe dish and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until warmed, about 7 to 8 minutes.
Whole30 Cashew Cheese Sauce
This Whole30 Cashew Cheese Sauce is a great dairy free alternative to cheese. The blended cashews are super creamy. The lemon juice adds a slight tartness. Nutritional yeast is a dairy free deactivated yeast that has a cheesy flavor. Blend completely before adding to chicken.
You May Also Like
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see it! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I’d love for you to follow along!
Get the Recipe: Whole30 Chicken Parmesan
- 1 pound chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 3 tbsp tapioca flour
- 2 tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- pinch sea salt
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups Whole30 marinara sauce
Cashew Cheese Sauce
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Place chicken between two sheets of parchment paper. Using a meat pounder, pound chicken to 1/2 inch thick.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk egg. In another shallow bowl, add almond flour, tapioca flour, basil, oregano, onion powder, garlic powder, pepper and salt.
- First, dip chicken in egg mixture. Coat on both sides. Then, place chicken in flours and seasonings mix. Coat both sides. Repeat for remaining chicken.
- Next, heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until fully cooked through.
- Then, remove chicken from heat. Add marinara sauce to a large casserole dish and place chicken on top.
- To make the cheese, add ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Next, top each piece of chicken with remaining marinara sauce and cheese sauce.
- Then bake in oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Finally, remove from oven and serve! Top with basil if desired.
- Pound chicken to a 1/2 inch thickness. This helps with even cooking.
- Chicken is done cooking when it reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Blend cheese sauce until smooth and creamy.
- I suggest using boneless skinless chicken breasts for this recipe.
- Top with basil if desired.
Have you signed up for my free newsletter? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans and new recipes!
One Comment on “Whole30 Chicken Parmesan”
Total comfort food! Can’t believe it’s Whole30!