WHOLE30 SLOPPY JOE SWEET POTATO BOWLS
I’m combining two of my favorite things in this one delicious recipe: Sloppy Joe Sweet Potato Bowls! Both Sloppy Joes and sweet potatoes are extremely versatile. They can both be eaten in several different ways and the leftovers are just as tasty the second day!
INGREDIENTS FOR WHOLE30 SLOPPY JOE SWEET POTATO BOWLS
RED PEPPER + ONION: The red pepper and onion add a pop of color and flavor (and nutritional value!) to these Sloppy Joe Sweet Potato bowls.
GROUND BEEF: Ground beef is at the heart of Sloppy Joes. Feel free to substitute ground turkey.
TOMATO PASTE: Just one can of tomato paste goes a long way! In addition, it adds a hearty tomato flavor to the Sloppy Joes.
COCONUT AMINOS: Coconut aminos is the gluten free and soy free version of soy sauce. Used in combination with the tomato paste, it adds a depth of flavor.
SWEET POTATOES: Oven roasted sweet potatoes have a caramelization flavor to them – and they are to die for! Moreover, they add a hint of sweetness to the otherwise savory meat.
COCONUT OIL: Coconut oil is used to coat the sweet potatoes. It helps to ensure the sweet potatoes are crispy on the outside and warm and soft in the center.
HOW TO MAKE SLOPPY JOE SWEET POTATO BOWLS
First, preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Slice sweet potatoes 1/4 inch thick and place on baking sheet.
Then, melt coconut oil and brush coconut oil on both sides of sweet potatoes. Next, bake for 30 minutes, flipping after 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, add red pepper, onion and olive oil. Cook for 7 to 8 minutes.
Next, add ground beef to the skillet and cook until brown and crumbly. Discard excess grease from pan and add remaining ingredients to the skillet. Then, bring to a boil and boil for 15 to 20 minutes, adding more water if mixture becomes too thick.
Once sweet potatoes are done roasting and Sloppy Joes are cooked, assemble. Finally, add sweet potatoes and Sloppy Joe mixture to a bowl or plate and enjoy!
EASY HEALTHY WEEKNIGHT DINNER
Sloppy Joe Sweet Potato Bowls are an easy, healthy and delicious weeknight dinner that the whole family will love. Both the Sloppy Joes and the roasted sweet potatoes can be made ahead of time. Check out my Whole30 Ultimate Guide for more healthy meal inspiration!
Get the Recipe: Whole30 Sloppy Joe Sweet Potato Bowls
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- First, preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Slice sweet potatoes about 1/4 inch thick and arrange on a large baking sheet.
- Next, brush melted coconut oil over both sides of each sweet potato round and bake for 30 minutes, flipping after 20 minutes. Then, remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, add red pepper, onion and olive oil. Cook over low medium heat for about 7 to 8 minutes or until onions become soft.
- Next, add in ground beef and cook on medium until brown and crumbly.
- Discard excess fat from pan. Then, add in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and let simmer for at least 15 to 20 minutes, adding more water if mixture becomes too dry.
- Finally, assemble: add sloppy joe meat to a bowl or plate and top with sweet potatoes.