Vegan Puppy Chow (Muddy Buddies)
This Vegan Puppy Chow is the best easy snack! It takes only 10 minutes to make and it is simple, quick, and so delicious. These Vegan and gluten free muddy buddies are great for an after school snack, dessert or afternoon pick me up!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This Vegan Puppy Chow requires only 6 easy ingredients.
- This no bake treat takes just a few minutes to make.
- These are great for holidays, Christmas, birthdays, and rainy days.
- This Vegan Chex mix puppy chow is chocolaty, crunchy, and addicting!
- Everyone who has tried this recipe loves it.
- Check out this Healthy Puppy Chow for another fun idea!
- This recipe is Vegan, gluten free, and dairy free.
Ingredients & Substitutions
The Chex mix are the perfect cereal for these Vegan muddy buddies. Rice Chex mix or corn Chex mix are both gluten free and work well.
Peanut butter is the best nut butter for this recipe in my opinion. Use a creamy smooth peanut butter that contains only peanuts and salt. If needed, creamy almond butter or cashew butter can be substituted. For a nut free option, use sunflower butter.
Any Vegan chocolate that melts well will work. I use Enjoy Life dark chocolate chips because they melt well and taste great!
Coconut oil is used in place of butter to keep this recipe Vegan. If desired, use Vegan butter.
Vanilla extract adds just the right amount of flavor. It can be omitted if needed.
Powdered sugar adds sweetness! Double check labels to ensure powdered sugar is Vegan.
How to Make
First, add peanut butter, chocolate chips, coconut oil and vanilla extract to a microwave safe bowl. Melt in 30 second increments, stopping to stir between each. Melt until smooth and creamy.
Add Chex mix cereal to a large bowl. Pour melted chocolate over cereal.
Then, gently stir until cereal is completely coated in chocolate.
Add powdered sugar to a large Ziplock bag.
Add coated cereal to bag. Close bag and shake until cereal is covered in powdered sugar.
Finally, add to a bowl and serve!
Expert Tips & Tricks
Use smooth creamy peanut butter that is made with only peanuts and salt. Thicker peanut butter will alter this recipe.
Completely melt peanut butter with chocolate chips, coconut oil and vanilla extract. Continue microwaving and stirring until smooth.
Fully coat Chex mix in chocolate mixture. Then, shake Ziplock bag until coated cereal is completely covered in powdered sugar.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature or in the fridge.
How to Serve & Store
Serve immediately or store for later.
Store at room temperature in an airtight container or Ziplock bag.
If it’s hot out, store in fridge.
Frequently Asked Questions
Most traditional puppy chow contains butter and milk chocolate, therefore it is not Vegan. This recipe is completely Vegan.
If the puppy chow is Vegan, then yes Vegans can eat puppy chow!
Puppy chow is a traditional Midwest snack. It originally got its name because it resembles dog food.
There are some types of cereal that is Vegan. Rice Chex mix and corn Chex mix are Vegan.
Sure! Use a natural creamy nut butter.
Both rice Chex mix and corn Chex mix work well.
Any Vegan chocolate that melts well will work!
You May Also Like
Get the Recipe: Vegan Puppy Chow (Muddy Buddies)
- First, add peanut butter, chocolate chips, coconut oil and vanilla extract to a microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave for 30 seconds. Then stir until completely melted, smooth and creamy.
- Add Chex mix to a large bowl. Pour melted chocolate mixture over Chex mix.
- Very gently stir until Chex mix are completely coated in chocolate.
- Add powdered sugar to a large Ziplock bag. Add coated Chex mix into bag with powdered sugar.
- Close bag and shake until Chex mix is completely coated in powdered sugar.
- Finally, serve!
- Rice Chex mix or corn Chex mix works best and is naturally gluten free!
- Use peanut butter that is made with only peanuts and salt. Any added sugars, oils or preservatives will alter the texture.
- I used this Vitamix Peanut Butter and it worked perfectly!
- Use Vegan chocolate chips to keep this recipe Vegan. I use Enjoy Life dark chocolate chips which melt well.
- Melt peanut butter, chocolate chips, coconut oil and vanilla extract until completely smooth and creamy. Mine usually takes two 30 second increments.
- This recipe calls for only 1 cup of powdered sugar which lightly coats the puppy chow. Feel free to add more if desired.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature or in the fridge. If it’s hot outside, I recommend storing in the fridge.
- This is not safe for dogs or puppies to eat.
Love this Vegan Puppy Chow? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans and new recipes!