Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
These peanut butter chocolate chip cookies are quick, easy and incredibly flavorful! They are bursting with peanut butter and chocolate flavors. These cookies take only 20 minutes from start to finish. They are soft baked, gooey, thick and melt in your mouth delicious!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- These peanut butter chocolate chip cookies are quick and easy.
- Only one mixing bowl.
- No dough chilling required.
- This recipe takes only 20 minutes total.
- They are soft baked, thick and gooey.
- These cookies taste like a Reese’s peanut butter cup!
- The chocolate peanut butter flavor is strong.
- Great for any occasion. Serve for Christmas, birthdays, special occasions, or dinner parties.
- Great any time of the year.
- These cookies can be made with gluten free ingredients.
- Check out these Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies for another delicious dessert!
Ingredients & Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for peanut butter chocolate chip cookies. Scroll down to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
Use cold butter right from the fridge. Do not use softened or melted butter. Cold butter helps these cookies remain tall and thick.
Use all natural creamy peanut butter. Do not use the brands with added sugars or oils. Those tend to dry out baked goods.
Both light brown sugar and white sugar add the sweetness. I have not tried this recipe using another sweetener. For low carb and low sugar, make these Keto Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Two eggs help bind these peanut butter chocolate chip cookies together. To make these eggless, try these Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies.
A little vanilla extract adds a classic cookie flavor.
Both regular all purpose flour and gluten free 1 to 1 flour work well. Do not use another flour in this specific recipe. For grain free, try these Almond Flour Peanut Butter Cookies.
A little baking soda helps leaven these cookies.
Add in a pinch of sea salt if desired. If peanut butter is salted, feel free to omit.
Lastly, add in your favorite chocolate chips! Dark chocolate, semisweet chocolate and milk chocolate all work well.
Taste & Texture
These peanut butter chocolate chip cookies have a strong peanut butter chocolate flavor! No flavor surprises. They are just sweet enough.
These peanut butter cookies with chocolate chips are soft, thick and melt in your mouth. They have lightly chewy edges and a gooey center. They are not dry or bland.
How to Make
First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, add butter, peanut butter, brown sugar and white sugar. Mix on high for 2 to 3 minutes, until no clumps of butter remain.
Then, add in eggs and vanilla extract. Stir to combine.
Add in flour, baking soda and sea salt. Stir to combine.
Fold in the chocolate chips.
Use an ice cream scooper to scoop balls of dough onto lined baking pan.
Bake for 9 to 11 minutes or until edges have started to turn golden.
Finally, remove peanut butter chocolate chip cookies from oven. Cool on pan for at least 10 minutes. Then carefully move to a wire rack.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Use cold butter straight from the fridge. Do not use softened or melted butter. Cold butter helps prevent these cookies from spreading too much.
Mix the butter, peanut butter, sugar and brown sugar completely. It takes 2 to 3 minutes for the butter to fully cream.
Use either gluten free 1 to 1 flour or all purpose flour. Do not substitute another flour.
This cookie dough is thick.
Use an ice cream scooper or cookie scooper. This creates beautifully round, evenly sized cookies. It also prevents having to touch the cookie dough.
Do not over bake. These cookies will slightly firm up as they cool.
These peanut butter chocolate chip cookies are very soft and fragile. Handle carefully.
These cookies are great chilled in the fridge!
Flavor Variations & Add Ins
Consider these delicious flavor variations.
Use mini chocolate chips
Use chopped chocolate bars.
Add in crushed peanuts.
Substitute peanut butter with cashew butter or almond butter.
Use white chocolate chips.
Add in a pinch of cinnamon.
Top with a sprinkling of sea salt.
How to Serve & Store
Serve peanut butter chocolate chip cookies once cool enough to handle.
They are great with a glass of milk, coffee, tea or hot chocolate.
For the ultimate dessert, serve with chocolate ice cream!
Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
I love keeping them in the fridge. They are great cold.
Or, freeze. These cookies are great frozen too!
Frequently Asked Questions
No. Peanut butter and butter are very different. They are not direct substitutes in chocolate chip cookies.
Peanut butter thickens up cookie dough. It adds a great peanut butter flavor!
Use gluten free flour to keep them gluten free. The cookies in these photos are gluten free.
Use an all natural creamy peanut butter. Do not use classic brands like Skippy or Jif. Those are too thick.
Sure! If making dough ahead of time, store scooped balls of dough in the fridge for up to 24 hours. Then allow the dough to come to room temperature before baking. Alternatively, bake cookies and store in fridge or freezer.
You May Also Like
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies
- 3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies
- Gluten Free Peanut Butter Cookies
- Banana Oatmeal Peanut Butter Cookies
- Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies
If you make this peanut butter chocolate chip cookie recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Join my exclusive Facebook Group for a behind the scenes look. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Dessert Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter
- 1 ½ cups all natural creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar, tightly packed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 ⅓ cups flour, all purpose or gluten free flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- pinch sea salt, optional
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add cold butter, peanut butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar. Mix on high for 2 to 3 minutes, until no clumps of butter remain.
- Then, add in eggs and vanilla. Stir to combine.
- Add in flour, baking soda and sea salt. Stir to combine.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Use an ice cream scooper to scoop balls of dough onto lined pan. Space at least 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 9 to 11 minutes or until edges have started to turn golden.
- Finally, remove from oven. Cookies will be soft and gooey. Allow cookies to cool on pan for at least 10 minutes. Then carefully move to a cooling rack.
- Use cold butter right from the fridge. Do not use melted or softened butter.
- Mix butter, peanut butter and sugars until completely combined.
- Both regular all purpose flour and gluten free 1 to 1 flour work well. Do not substitute another flour.
- The cookie dough will be pretty thick. It should not be sticky.
- Use an ice cream scooper to ensure evenly sized, round cookies.
- Do not bake too long. Bake until cookies look gooey but set in the middle.
- These cookies are soft and fragile when warm. Handle carefully.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- I prefer them stored in the fridge.
- Freeze for 30 days if needed.
Love these peanut butter chocolate chip cookies? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!
2 Comments on “Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies”
loved them!!! they only took a few more minutes in my oven
So happy to hear that, Bri! Thank you!