Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies
These chewy peanut butter cookies are loaded with peanut butter flavor! They are thick bakery style cookies with chewy edges and gooey centers. This one bowl recipe requires no dough chilling. They are great for any occasion!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- These chewy peanut butter cookies are quick and easy.
- Only one mixing bowl.
- No dough chilling required.
- Add in chocolate chips like these Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies.
- This recipe uses mostly pantry staple ingredients.
- The peanut butter flavor is just right.
- Feel free to use peanut butter chips or chocolate chips.
- Use gluten free flour to keep this recipe gluten free.
- Check out these Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies for another fun dessert!
Ingredients & Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for chewy peanut butter cookies. Scroll down to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
Use cold butter right from the fridge. Cold butter prevents these cookies from spreading too thin.
Both granulated sugar and light brown sugar provide sweetness. Tightly pack the brown sugar. Use dark brown sugar if needed, but cookies may darken slightly.
The eggs are vital in achieving the perfect cookie texture. In other recipes, I have had success replacing 1 egg with ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce. For this recipe, replace the 2 eggs with ½ cup total applesauce. Or, check out these Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies.
A little vanilla adds warmth.
All natural creamy peanut butter adds the most flavor! Use the type that is made from only peanuts and salt. Brands with added sugars or oils will yield denser, more dry cookies.
Use either all purpose flour or gluten free 1 to 1 flour. Do not use another flour.
Cornstarch adds some chewy texture. If needed, replace with tapioca flour or arrowroot powder.
Baking soda helps these cookies rise.
Peanut butter chips add a ton of flavor to these chewy peanut butter cookies! Feel free to replace with chocolate chips.
What Makes Them Chewy
There are several ways to make these cookies chewy.
First, use more brown sugar than white sugar. Brown sugar yields a more chewy cookie naturally. This recipe calls for twice as much brown sugar than white sugar.
In addition, a little cornstarch helps add chewiness.
These cookies bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. This is higher than typical cookie recipes. This allows the edges to become golden and chewy, while the centers stay gooey.
Taste & Texture
These chewy peanut butter cookies taste like mostly like peanut butter! They are sweet, buttery and so flavorful. In addition, the peanut butter chips add flavor.
The edges are chewy and golden. Moreover, the centers are gooey and soft!
How to Make
First, preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
In a stand mixer, add cold butter, sugar and brown sugar. Mix until no clumps of butter remain, about 2 to 3 minutes.
Add in eggs and vanilla. Stir to combine.
Add in peanut butter. Stir to combine.
Then, add in flour, cornstarch and baking soda. Mix until a thick dough forms.
Fold in peanut butter chips.
Use an ice cream scoop to scoop balls of dough onto lined pan.
Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are lightly golden brown.
Finally, remove chewy peanut butter cookies from oven. Allow cookies to cool on pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Carefully measure all ingredients.
Use a stand mixer to mix these chewy peanut butter cookies. Due to the cold butter, this would be almost impossible to mix by hand. Electric mixers work well too.
With that said, use cold butter right from the fridge.
Use all natural creamy peanut butter made from only nuts and salt.
The cookie dough is slightly thick.
Use an ice cream scooper to help scoop the dough. This is much easier than working with your hands.
Do not over bake these cookies. Bake until edges are slightly golden brown.
How to Serve & Store
Serve chewy peanut butter cookies once cool enough to handle. They are not overly fragile.
Serve with milk, coffee or hot chocolate.
They are great served warm with ice cream! Top with hot fudge, caramel sauce or whipped cream.
Store cookies covered at room temperature for up to 3 days.
These cookies can be frozen.
Frequently Asked Questions
Use gluten free flour to ensure these cookies are gluten free.
Yes! Feel free to add chocolate chips to this recipe. Or, replace peanut butter chips with chocolate chips.
Use all natural creamy peanut butter made from only nuts and salt.
No. There is no need to chill the dough.
Peanut butter chips are sold at most grocery stores in the baking aisle.
You May Also Like
- Keto Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Banana Oatmeal Peanut Butter Cookies
- 3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies
- Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies
- Flourless Oatmeal Cookies
If you make this chewy peanut butter cookie recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Dessert Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar, tightly packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup all natural creamy peanut butter
- 2 ¾ cups flour, regular or gluten free
- 1 tbsp cornstarch, or tapioca flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ cups peanut butter chips
- First, preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a stand mixer, add cold butter, sugar and brown sugar. Mix until no clumps of butter remain, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add in eggs and vanilla. Stir to combine.
- Add in peanut butter. Stir to combine.
- Then, add in flour, cornstarch and baking soda. Mix until a thick dough forms.
- Fold in peanut butter chips.
- Use an ice cream scoop to scoop balls of dough onto lined pan.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are lightly golden brown.
- Finally, remove from oven. Allow cookies to cool on pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
- Use cold butter straight from the fridge. Do not use softened or melted butter.
- Use all natural creamy peanut butter. The only ingredients should be peanuts and salt.
- Both regular all purpose flour and gluten free 1 to 1 flour work well. Do not use another flour.
- This dough is thick.
- Feel free to use chocolate chips instead of peanut butter chips if desired.
- Use an ice cream scoop to scoop dough. This ensures the balls of dough are equally sized and round.
- The cookies should be lightly golden along the edges. Do not over bake.
- Store covered at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- These cookies can be frozen.
Love these chewy peanut butter cookies? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!
2 Comments on “Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies”
these peanut butter cookies turned out so so good! sweet and perfectly chewy!
Hi Andrea! I am so happy to hear you enjoyed them!