Lobster Mac and Cheese
This lobster mac and cheese is total comfort food! It is creamy, cozy and cheesy. This dish is great for family dinners, Valentine’s Day, Christmas dinner, the holidays and more. Delicious any time of the year for any occasion!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This lobster mac and cheese is so creamy.
- It has the best flavor.
- The two types of cheese make this dish unforgettable.
- Great for any time of the year.
- It tastes like gourmet restaurant quality.
- Just like Olive Garden or Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse, but homemade!
- Serve for Christmas, family dinner, holidays, birthdays and more.
- This recipe can be easily made gluten free. Use gluten free flour, gluten free pasta and gluten free breadcrumbs. Check out this Gluten Free Mac and Cheese.
- If needed, this recipe can be doubled.
- Check out this Lobster Tail Recipe for another delicious seafood dinner.
Ingredients & Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for lobster mac and cheese. Scroll down to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
Cavatappi pasta is great for this recipe. It can be tough to find, especially gluten free. For that reason, feel free to use your favorite type of pasta. Elbow macaroni also works well.
Butter and flour create the thick slurry. This eventually thickens the mac and cheese sauce. If needed, use gluten free flour.
Whole milk adds creaminess to the sauce. I recommend whole milk or even half and half for the creamiest results.
Both gruyere cheese and sharp cheddar add the cheesy flavor and texture. Both are flavorful and perfect for this lobster mac and cheese recipe.
A little sea salt and pepper add flavor.
Just a pinch of nutmeg adds a hint of flavor.
Use cooked lobster meat. Feel free to buy it pre-cooked or cook it yourself.
Lastly, breadcrumbs add a crispy topping. Use regular or gluten free breadcrumbs.
Taste & Texture
This lobster mac and cheese is hearty, savory and cheesy. The main flavors are pasta, cheese and lobster.
The sauce is so creamy! This lobster meat is tender and juicy.
How to Make
First, preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
Add 3 tablespoons butter to a skillet over low medium heat. Whisk until butter has melted.
Once melted, whisk in flour. Continue whisking to create a slurry.
Then, pour in milk. Stir to combine. Remove from heat.
Add in gruyere cheese, cheddar cheese, sea salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir until sauce has thickened to the texture of cream.
Add the cooked lobster meat and cooked pasta to the skillet. Stir together.
Pour this mixture down into a large baking dish.
In a small bowl, melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter. Stir in breadcrumbs.
Sprinkle breadcrumbs on top.
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until edges are bubbly and topping is golden brown.
Finally, remove from oven. Serve hot.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Cavatappi pasta is great for this recipe. If you can find it, I recommend this type of pasta. If not, feel free to use another type.
To make this recipe gluten free, use gluten free pasta, gluten free flour and gluten free breadcrumbs.
Whisk butter and flour to prevent burning. This creates the base of the sauce.
If possible, do not substitute for the gruyere and sharp cheddar. These two cheeses provide a great depth of flavor.
Bake until dish is bubbly and breadcrumb topping is golden brown.
Serve lobster mac and cheese immediately hot and fresh.
How to Serve & Store
Serve lobster mac and cheese hot from the oven.
Serve with roasted veggies, a side salad or coleslaw.
For comfort food, serve with this Gluten Free Cornbread.
For holidays and special occasions, serve alongside some Baked Cod Recipe.
Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Frequently Asked Questions
Pair this dish with coleslaw, salad or roasted veggies. Keep the side dish more light since the mac and cheese is indulgent.
The combination of gruyere cheese and sharp cheddar is the best for mac and cheese. Try this Southern Mac and Cheese with mozzarella and sharp cheddar!
Use gluten free pasta, gluten free flour and gluten free breadcrumbs.
Yes! Easily double and bake in 2 dishes.
You May Also Like
If you make this lobster mac and cheese recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Join my exclusive Facebook Group for a behind the scenes look. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Dinner Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Lobster Mac and Cheese
- ½ pound cavatappi pasta
- 4 tbsp butter, divided
- ¼ cup flour, all purpose or gluten free
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups shredded gruyere cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- pinch sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- pinch nutmeg
- ½ pound cooked lobster meat
- ½ cup breadcrumbs, regular or gluten free
- First, preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Then drain and set aside.
- Add 3 tablespoons butter to a skillet over low medium heat. Whisk until melted.
- Once butter has melted, whisk in flour. Continue whisking to create a slurry.
- Then, pour in milk. Stir to combine. Remove from heat.
- Add in gruyere cheese, cheddar cheese, sea salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir until sauce has thickened to the texture of cream.
- Add the cooked lobster meat and cooked pasta to the skillet. Stir together.
- Pour this mixture down into a large baking dish.
- In a small bowl, melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter. Stir in breadcrumbs.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs on top.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until edges are bubbly and topping is golden brown.
- Finally, remove from oven. Serve immediately.
- Cavatappi pasta is my favorite for this recipe, but can be difficult to find. Use any desired pasta type.
- Use gluten free pasta, gluten free flour and gluten free breadcrumbs if needed.
- Be sure to continuously whisk butter and flour to prevent burning.
- I highly recommend using the gruyere cheese as written. It adds such a great depth of flavor to this dish.
- Bake until the dish is bubbly and the topping is golden brown.
- Serve hot and fresh.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Love this homemade lobster mac and cheese? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!
5 Comments on “Lobster Mac and Cheese”
I’ve tried this and it’s delicious! I love the texture of the pasta, and the flavor is spot on. It has just the right amount of cheese and lobster to make you feel like you’re eating in a fancy restaurant.
Easily my favorite part of this recipe was adding the breadcrumbs to the lobster mac and cheese! Adding the crunch to the recipe made it that much better than similar dishes I have had at restaurants! Will be looking forward to checking out other recipes!
This lobster mac and cheese is a must try! It is indeed so creamy and super delicious! Even the picky loves it, especially when served with soda!
This lobster mac and cheese is AMAZING! I’m a New England girl so we love our lobster. This recipe is better than most I’ve had in restaurants. The only thing I changed was I added a few more lobster claw pieces just before serving.
Now that’s what I call decadence! I felt so happy making this for dinner tonight, it made use of the beautiful local lobster we’re having and also tasted amazing. Loved it!