Rainbow Trout Recipe
This rainbow trout recipe is incredibly flavorful, flaky and easy! It takes less than 20 minutes from start to finish. Everything is made in one pan and comes out perfectly delicious every time. This recipe is great for holidays, family get togethers, and more!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This rainbow trout recipe takes under 20 minutes total.
- The fish comes out flaky and juicy.
- Other than the trout, this recipe uses only pantry staple ingredients.
- The seasonings add flavor without being overpowering.
- It is made with healthy ingredients.
- This recipe is Whole30 compliant, Keto, Paleo, gluten free, dairy free, egg free, low carb nut free and sugar free.
- Check out this Trout Recipe for a pan seared version!
Ingredients & Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for this rainbow trout recipe. Scroll down to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
If possible, buy fresh rainbow trout. If needed, use frozen. Simply thaw before making this recipe.
Black pepper and sea salt add a subtle flavor to the fish.
In addition, paprika and garlic powder add a little heat and garlicky flavor. Feel free to adjust amounts to suit your taste.
Olive oil helps this fish juicy. If desired, replace this with avocado oil or melted butter.
A little lemon juice pairs nicely with the rainbow trout. Serve fish with lemon slices if desired.
What is Rainbow Trout?
Rainbow trout is a type of trout fish. It can be found in the rivers of the Pacific Ocean in both Asia and North America.
Steelhead trout is a type of rainbow trout.
Young rainbow trout typically feeds on plankton. Adult trout eat small fish and fish eggs.
An adult rainbow trout is typically 1 to 2 feet long, or 12 inches to 24 inches in length.
Trout is a relatively mild fish. Its flavor is somewhat comparable to salmon, but even less robust. It is not known for being overly fishy.
Rainbow trout can be seared, baked, or grilled.
Taste & Texture
This rainbow trout recipe is hearty, savory and flavorful! The main flavors are garlic and lemon. The olive oil adds a great moisture and flavor. The paprika adds a mild spice.
The texture is flaky and juicy.
How to Make
First, preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a rimmed baking pan with parchment paper.
Pat fish dry with paper towel. Season on flesh side (not skin side) with pepper, paprika, garlic powder and sea salt.
Place seasoned fish on parchment lined pan. Drizzle olive oil over both fillets. Squeeze lemon juice on top.
Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until fish is flaky. To test doneness, insert fork into flesh. Twist the fork. If the flesh is flaky, then it is done.
Lastly, remove fish from oven. Serve with sliced lemon if desired.
Expert Tips & Tricks
For ultimate freshness, use fresh rainbow trout. However, frozen trout can be used.
If using frozen fish, thaw completely before making.
Adjust seasonings to suit your taste.
Bake trout until flaky.
To test doneness, insert fork into fish. Gently twist the fork. If the flesh flakes, then the skin is done.
Ultimately, trout does not need a knife. It is flaky and tender enough to eat with only a fork.
How to Serve & Store
Serve this rainbow trout recipe hot and fresh from the oven.
Top with lemon slices if desired.
This fish pairs well with cauliflower rice, French fries, and mashed potatoes.
For a lighter option, serve with salad or roasted veggies.
Serve with the pan juices for maximum flavor.
Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Frequently Asked Questions
No, there is no need to remove the skin from trout.
Yes, rainbow trout is very healthy. It is high in protein and low in carbs.
Insert fork into the fish. If you twist fork and flesh flakes, then it is done. Use a meat thermometer if desired. Internal temperature should be 145 degrees Fahrenheit.
Yes, this recipe is naturally gluten free.
You May Also Like
- Baked Tilapia Recipe
- Royal Red Shrimp Recipe
- Fried Lobster Tails
- Blackened Mahi Mahi
- Baked Halibut Recipe
If you make this rainbow trout recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Dinner Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Rainbow Trout Recipe
- 2 rainbow trout fillets
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- pinch sea salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil, or avocado oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- First, preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a rimmed baking pan with parchment paper.
- Pat fish dry with paper towel. Season on flesh side (not skin side) with pepper, paprika, garlic powder and sea salt.
- Place seasoned fish on parchment lined pan. Drizzle olive oil over both fillets. Squeeze lemon juice on top.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until fish is flaky. To test doneness, insert fork into flesh. Twist fork. If the flesh is flaky, then it is done.
- Lastly, remove fish from oven. Serve with sliced lemon if desired.
- This recipe can be made using thawed out frozen fillets.
- Feel free to adjust seasonings as desired.
- The paprika gives the fish a very subtle hint of spice. Feel free to omit for a mild flavor. Alternatively, use more for a spicy flavor.
- Bake trout until flaky.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Love this baked rainbow trout recipe? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!
8 Comments on “Rainbow Trout Recipe”
Added a few chili flakes to this rainbow trout recipe, and it was incredibly delicious! Can’t wait to make this again for our family gathering. Thanks for this wonderful recipe Addison!
We had some trout in a grocery box and this recipe worked out so well – my husband was raving about how flaky it was. Will be making again for sure!
This was so yummy!! I was afraid making trout would be hard but this was easy!
My husband caught some fresh trout, and I found this recipe. Hubby was very impressed and told me this dish is a keeper.
Our grocery has rainbow trout frequently so this is a good recipe to have for a quick meal. Love the flavor and the easy recipe.
So glad to hear that!
Thank you for publishing this oven recipe! After long day don’t feel like standing over the stovetop! Super delicious as well!
Hi Caren! I am so glad you enjoyed this recipe. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment and review.