Gluten Free Orange Chicken
This gluten free orange chicken features juicy chicken, a tangy sauce, and loads of flavor! This quick and easy recipe takes only 20 minutes in total. Kids and picky eaters love this takeout inspired dish. Make it for busy weeknights, holidays, or meal prep!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This gluten free orange chicken is quick and easy.
- It tastes like your favorite takeout!
- This orange chicken recipe has the perfect balance of sweet, tangy, and savory.
- The chicken breading is crispy.
- This recipe is much healthier than takeout.
- Great for family dinners, meal prep, and leftovers.
- This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, and contains no added sugar.
- Check out this Chinese Garlic Chicken for another delicious dinner!
Ingredients & Substitutes
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for gluten free orange chicken. Scroll down to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
Use boneless, skinless chicken breasts for this recipe. If needed, use chicken thighs. If the chicken is frozen, thaw completely.
Coat the chicken in gluten free flour and tapioca flour. If needed, replace the tapioca flour with cornstarch.
Whisk the egg. This helps the coating stick to the chicken pieces.
Use olive oil or avocado oil.
Fresh orange juice and zest adds the most delicious flavor.
Coconut aminos is the soy free and gluten free version of soy sauce. Unfortunately, soy sauce is not gluten free. Therefore, coconut aminos is the perfect substitute.
Rice vinegar adds a tangy flavor.
Ground ginger and garlic powder add even more flavor.
Lastly, top with chopped green onions if desired. This adds color, flavor, and freshness.
Taste & Texture
This gluten free orange chicken is tangy, a little sweet, and savory. The main flavors are orange and chicken. No surprises!
The chicken is juicy and tender while the coating is crispy. The sauce is thick and slightly sticky.
How to Make
First, add the gluten free flour and tapioca flour to a large Ziplock bag. Set aside.
Add the whisked egg to a shallow bowl. Add each piece of chicken to the egg mixture. Stir to fully coat. Then place inside the Ziplock bag with the flour mixture. Repeat for the remaining chicken pieces.
Seal the bag. Shake around until the chicken is all completely coated.
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Discard any excess flour. Carefully place the coated chicken cubes in the hot oil. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes, until cooked through. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
Then, add the remaining ingredients to the skillet. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until the sauce has thickened to your desired consistency.
Lastly, remove the skillet from the heat. Garnish with chopped green onions if desired.
Expert Tips for Success
Follow these tips and tricks to make the best gluten free orange chicken.
Make sure the chicken pieces are fully coated in the flour mixture.
Use a meat thermometer to measure the internal temperature of the chicken.
Use freshly squeezed orange juice and zest for the most robust flavor.
The sauce becomes thicker the longer it cooks.
Flavor Variations & Add-Ins
Consider these flavor variations for this gluten free orange chicken.
Add in veggies to make it a stir fry!
Add in broccoli, peppers, or snow peas for color and flavor.
For added flavor, add in a drizzle of chili flakes or even sriracha.
For crunch, add in some crushed peanuts.
How to Serve & Store
Serve this gluten free orange chicken over rice, cauliflower rice, fried rice, or by itself.
Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days.
To reheat, add the leftovers to a skillet with a drizzle of oil. Reheat until warm.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Use gluten free 1 to 1 flour. These blends are a perfect substitute for regular flour.
Yes, this orange chicken is both gluten free and dairy free.
No, Panda Express does not make gluten free orange chicken.
No, unfortunately Trader Joe’s orange chicken contains gluten.
Yes, lo mein noodles are often made with wheat.
Pyrex Glass Measuring Cups: These glass measuring cups are great for measuring the ingredients.
Our Place Always Pan: This is my favorite non-toxic skillet.
Meat Thermometer: This meat thermometer is great for measuring the internal temperature of chicken.
Check out all of my kitchen favorites!
You May Also Enjoy
- Whole30 Orange Chicken
- Korean BBQ Sauce
- Whole30 Beef and Broccoli
- Sugar Free Stir Fry Sauce
- Salt and Pepper Chicken
If you make this healthy gluten free orange chicken recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Join my exclusive Facebook Group for a behind the scenes look. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, see these Lunch and Dinner Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Gluten Free Orange Chicken
- First, add the gluten free flour and tapioca flour to a large Ziplock bag. Set aside.
- Add the whisked egg to a shallow bowl. Add each piece of chicken to the egg mixture. Stir to fully coat. Then place inside the Ziplock bag with the flour mixture. Repeat for the remaining chicken pieces.
- Seal the bag. Shake around until the chicken is all completely coated.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Discard any excess flour. Carefully place the coated chicken cubes in the hot oil. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes, until cooked through. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
- Then, add the remaining ingredients to the skillet. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until the sauce has thickened to your desired consistency.
- Lastly, remove the skillet from the heat. Garnish with chopped green onions if desired.
- Fully coat the pieces of chicken in the gluten free flour mixture.
- If needed, use cornstarch instead of tapioca flour.
- Chicken is safe to eat when it has reached 165 degrees Fahrenheit internally.
- Use a meat thermometer.
- The sauce will thicken the longer it cooks.
- Store any leftovers for up to 4 days in the fridge.
- Reheat in a warm skillet.
- Check out all of my kitchen favorites!
Love this healthy orange chicken? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!