Chinese Garlic Chicken
This Chinese garlic chicken is savory, a little sweet, and loaded with bold flavors! Just like your favorite restaurant takeout dish. This homemade version takes only 20 minutes total. It is great for busy weeknights, family dinners, meal prep and leftovers!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This Chinese garlic chicken is quick and easy.
- Only 20 minutes from start to finish. This Gluten Free Orange Chicken takes only 20 minutes too!
- Everything is made in one pan or wok.
- The sauce is slightly sweet and savory.
- Great for busy weeknights.
- This recipe is great as meal prep and leftovers.
- Serve with rice, cauliflower rice, noodles or spaghetti squash.
- Feel free to leave out the maple syrup to make this dish sugar free.
- This recipe is Paleo, gluten free, nut free, and dairy free.
- Check out this Chinese Garlic Sauce or these Baked Chicken Thighs for another delicious recipe!
Ingredients & Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for Chinese garlic chicken. Scroll down to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
Olive oil helps brown the chicken. Feel free to use avocado oil, vegetable oil or refined coconut oil.
Cut chicken into 1 inch cubes. Both breasts and thighs work well. If using frozen chicken, thaw completely before.
Minced garlic and ginger add a delicious flavor. Make your own Minced Garlic easily.
Use either chicken broth or vegetable broth.
Coconut aminos is very similar to soy sauce. It is gluten free and soy free. If needed, replace with gluten free soy sauce.
Rice vinegar and toasted sesame oil add a deep flavor.
Tapioca flour helps thicken the sauce. Feel free to use cornstarch or arrowroot powder.
For a sweeter sauce, add maple syrup or honey. Otherwise, omit.
Lastly, garnish with sesame seeds and chopped green onions.
Taste & Texture
This Chinese garlic chicken is savory, hearty and slightly sweet. It tastes like takeout.
The chicken is so tender. The sauce is a little sticky and slightly thick. The longer the sauce cooks, the thicker it becomes.
How to Make
First, heat a large skillet or wok over medium heat. Slice chicken into 1 inch cubes. Add the olive oil and chicken to the pan.
Cook until chicken is browned on all sides.
Then, add in all remaining ingredients except sesame seeds and green onions. Stir the sauce.
Cook over low medium heat for at least 5 to 7 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and sauce has thickened.
Once chicken is cooked, remove from heat. Lastly, garnish Chinese garlic chicken with sesame seeds and chopped green onions.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Both chicken breasts and chicken thighs can be used. I prefer chicken thighs because they are more tender.
Use a meat thermometer to test chicken. Chicken must be cooked to 165 degrees Fahrenheit to be considered safe to eat.
As the sauce cooks, it will thicken up.
Feel free to taste the sauce and adjust seasonings as needed.
Do not over cook chicken.
How to Serve & Store
Serve this Chinese garlic chicken hot and fresh.
Serve over white rice, brown sugar, noodles, cauliflower rice or by itself.
For a lower carb option, serve over spaghetti squash or low carb noodles.
Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Freeze for up to 1 month.
Frequently Asked Questions
Chinese chicken with garlic sauce is made of chicken and a delicious sauce.
In America, General Tso’s chicken is the most popular chicken dish. Other popular dishes include orange chicken, teriyaki chicken and chicken stir fry.
Yes, the chicken is very tender. Be sure not to overcook the chicken.
Yes, this recipe is gluten free as written. Be sure to use coconut aminos or gluten free soy sauce. Regular soy sauce is not gluten free.
Both chicken breasts and chicken thighs can be used.
Pyrex Glass Measuring Cups: These glass measuring cups are great for any recipe.
Whisk: Whisk the sauce together.
Our Place Always Pan: This is my favorite non-toxic cookware for any recipe.
Meat Thermometer: This meat thermometer is great for measuring the internal temperature of meat.
You May Also Like
- Whole30 Orange Chicken
- Korean BBQ Sauce
- Whole30 Beef and Broccoli
- Sugar Free Stir Fry Sauce
- Salt and Pepper Chicken
If you make this Chinese garlic chicken recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Join my exclusive Facebook Group for a behind the scenes look. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, see these Lunch and Dinner Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Chinese Garlic Chicken
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound chicken, breast or thigh
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- ½ cup broth, chicken or vegetable
- ¼ cup coconut aminos, or gluten free soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- ½ tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp tapioca flour, or cornstarch
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup, or honey, optional
- sesame seeds, to garnish
- green onions, to garnish
- First, heat a large skillet or wok over medium heat. Slice chicken into 1 inch cubes. Add olive oil and chicken to the pan.
- Cook until chicken is browned on all sides.
- Then, add in all remaining ingredients except sesame seeds and green onions. Stir sauce.
- Cook over low medium heat for at least 5 to 7 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and sauce has thickened.
- Once chicken is cooked, remove from heat. Garnish with sesame seeds and chopped green onions.
- Feel free to use chicken breasts or chicken thighs.
- Chicken is considered safe to eat when it has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Use a meat thermometer to measure doneness of chicken.
- The sauce will thicken up the longer it cooks.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Freeze for up to 1 month.
Love this healthy Chinese garlic chicken? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!