Gluten Free Cornbread
This gluten free cornbread recipe is soft, fluffy and moist! It has the most delicious flavor and the best texture. Serve this alongside pork, chicken or steak at family parties, Fourth of July barbecues, holiday gatherings or busy weeknight dinners. It comes together in only 30 minutes total. Nobody can ever tell that it is gluten free!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This gluten free cornbread is quick and easy to make.
- Only 10 minutes of prep time and 20 minutes of cook time.
- It has a soft and fluffy texture.
- The flavor is classic comfort food.
- Serve with pork, chicken, steak or another favorite protein.
- This cornbread is great for many occasions and holidays.
- It does not taste or feel gluten free.
- Check out this Southern Mac and Cheese to serve with it!
Ingredients & Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for gluten free cornbread. Scroll down to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
Use gluten free 1 to 1 flour. King Arthur Flour and Bob’s Red Mill both make great options. Alternative flours like almond flour, oat flour and coconut flour will not work.
Cornbread is typically slightly sweet. The granulated sugar adds enough sweetness without being overpowering.
Baking powder helps leaven this bread. It comes out so fluffy!
Add in a pinch of sea salt.
Use unsalted melted butter. This creates a cozy buttery flavor.
Buttermilk adds creaminess and gives this cornbread a delicious Southern flavor. If needed, replace with milk. Both dairy free and regular work well.
Lastly, one egg binds everything together. I do not recommend using a flax egg, chia egg or Vegan egg replacer.
Taste & Texture
This gluten free cornbread tastes like classic cornbread! It has a delicious slight sweetness.
The texture is soft, fluffy and moist. This recipe is not dry. It rises while baking, creating a super fluffy texture. It is not dense.
How to Make
First, preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a 9 inch by 9 inch pan with nonstick spray.
In a mixing bowl, combine gluten free flour, gluten free cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and sea salt. Stir together.
Then, add in remaining ingredients. Stir to combine. The batter will be slightly thick.
Transfer batter to the greased baking dish.
Bake for 20 to 22 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Finally, remove gluten free cornbread from the oven. Slice and serve.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Use gluten free 1 to 1 flour. Most mixes have xantham gum already in them.
Use certified gluten free cornmeal. Although cornmeal itself is gluten free, many brands have cross contamination.
The cornbread batter will be slightly thick.
Replace buttermilk with milk if needed.
Do not over bake. Bake only until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
If desired, this recipe can be made in a 9 inch cast iron skillet.
I have also had success doubling this recipe for a 9 inch by 13 inch pan. Bake for about 10 minutes longer.
To make into muffins, bake only 14 to 16 minutes. Grease muffin pan heavily with nonstick spray.
How to Serve & Store
Serve this gluten free cornbread hot and fresh from the oven! Or, serve at room temperature.
It goes well with butter or a drizzle of honey on top.
Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days at room temperature.
Freeze for up to 1 month.
You will also enjoy this Gluten Free Sandwich Bread!
Frequently Asked Questions
Cornbread is typically made with wheat flour, therefore it is not gluten free. Thankfully this recipe is. Check out Is Cornbread Gluten Free?
Jiffy does not make a gluten free cornbread.
Yes! This recipe can be easily baked into muffins. Grease muffin pan. Bake for 14 to 16 minutes. This is great for serving individually or prepping ahead of time.
Cornmeal is naturally gluten free, but a lot of brands have cross contamination warnings. Be sure to use certified gluten free cornmeal.
Sure! Wrap individual slices and place in freezer for up to 1 month.
Pyrex 3 Glass Mixing Bowls: These glass mixing bowls are durable, sturdy and great for baking.
Pyrex Glass Measuring Cups: I always use these glass measuring cups for cooking and baking.
Whisk: This whisk is great for this recipe.
9 Inch Square Pan: This is my favorite square pan for this recipe. It bakes evenly and beautifully!
Avocado Oil Spray: This nonstick spray is great for greasing the pan.
You May Also Like
- Gluten Free Mac and Cheese
- Lobster Mac and Cheese
- Buffalo Chicken Pasta
- Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Healthy Hamburger Helper
If you make this gluten free cornbread recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Join my exclusive Facebook Group for a behind the scenes look. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Gluten Free Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Gluten Free Cornbread
- First, preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a 9 inch by 9 inch pan with nonstick spray.
- In a mixing bowl, combine gluten free flour, gluten free cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and sea salt. Stir together.
- Then, add in remaining ingredients. Stir to combine. Batter will be slightly thick.
- Transfer batter to the greased baking dish.
- Bake for 20 to 22 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Finally, remove from oven. Slice and serve.
- Use gluten free 1 to 1 flour with xantham gum in it. I love King Arthur Flour or Bob’s Red Mill.
- Make sure cornmeal is certified gluten free. Not all cornmeal is gluten free.
- The batter will be a little thick.
- If needed, replace buttermilk with regular milk.
- Bake until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Do not bake too long.
- Serve warm or room temperature. Great with butter on top.
- This recipe can be made in a 9 inch cast iron skillet as well. Grease with butter before adding batter.
- To make this into cornbread muffins, grease muffin pan. Bake for only 14 to 16 minutes.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Freeze individual squares for up to 1 month.
Love this homemade gluten free cornbread? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!