These Funfetti cookies are so fun! These festive cookies are the perfect way to celebrate any occasion, from birthdays to holidays. They are soft, chewy, and full of rainbow sprinkles. Kids love them! This easy 20-minute recipe is great any day of the week!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- These Funfetti cookies are easy to make.
- The dough comes together in just a few minutes and they bake for about 10 minutes.
- They are versatile. You can customize the flavor and texture of the cookies by adding different ingredients, such as chocolate chips, nuts, or dried fruit.
- These sprinkled cookies are festive.
- The rainbow sprinkles make these cookies perfect for any special occasion.
- The soft, chewy texture and the sweet, vanilla flavor of these cookies are delicious!
- This recipe can be easily made gluten free with gluten free flour. In addition, it is nut free.
- Check out these Sugar Cookies with Sprinkles for another fun dessert recipe!
Ingredients & Substitutes
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for these Funfetti sugar cookies. Scroll down to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
Use softened unsalted butter for the best texture. Set the butter on your kitchen counter about one hour before baking. It should be soft to the touch but not melted. If you only have salted butter, then omit the salt later on.
Granulated sugar adds the sweetness.
Two eggs help bind the cookies together. For an egg-free option, replace the 2 eggs with ½ cup unsweetened applesauce.
Vanilla extract adds a warm and cozy flavor.
For the flour, use gluten free 1 to 1 flour if you are gluten free. I highly recommend King Arthur Flour or Bob’s Red Mill. If not, all-purpose flour works fine.
Baking powder helps leaven these cookies.
Add in a pinch of salt to balance out the sweetness.
Lastly, use rainbow sprinkles for extra fun! Be sure to use gluten free sprinkles.
Taste & Texture
Funfetti cookies have a soft, chewy texture with a sweet, vanilla flavor.
The rainbow sprinkles add a festive touch and a bit of sweetness.
Overall, they taste like sugar cookies with sprinkles added in!
How to Make
First, preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy using an electric mixer.
Add the eggs and vanilla. Beat to combine.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour (gluten free or regular), baking powder, and salt.
Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing until just combined. Be careful not to overmix.
Gently fold in the rainbow sprinkles, ensuring they are evenly distributed throughout the dough.
Scoop rounded tablespoons of dough onto the prepared baking sheet, spacing them about 2 inches apart. If desired, lightly press a few extra sprinkles onto the tops of the cookies for decoration.
Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the edges are lightly golden. The centers may still appear slightly soft, but they will firm up as they cool.
Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Once cooled, store the Funfetti cookies in an airtight container at room temperature.
Expert Tips for Success
Here are a few expert tips and tricks for making the best Funfetti cookies.
Use room temperature butter. This will help the dough come together more easily.
Do not overmix the dough.
Bake the cookies until they are just set. Overbaking will make them dry.
Flavor Variations & Add-Ins
Here are a few flavor variations and add-ins to try for these Funfetti cookies.
Chocolate chips: Add 1 cup of chocolate chips to the dough.
Nuts: Add 1/2 cup of chopped nuts to the dough.
Dried fruit: Add 1/2 cup of dried fruit, such as raisins or cranberries, to the dough.
Different sprinkles: Use different colors of sprinkles to make your cookies even more festive. Use Christmas sprinkles or chocolate sprinkles for a fun touch.
How to Serve & Store
Funfetti cookies are best served warm or at room temperature.
Serve with a glass of milk, hot chocolate, coffee, or tea.
They are also delicious served with ice cream!
You can also store them at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Frequently Asked Questions
They taste like sugar cookies with sprinkles added in.
Use any type of sprinkles! You can switch up the colors and flavors.
Hand Mixer: This hand mixer is easy to use.
KitchenAid Stand Mixer: Use this stand mixer if desired.
USA Pan 3 Piece Cookie Sheet Set: These are my favorite pans for baking cookies.
Pre-Cut Parchment Paper Sheets: Line your baking pan with parchment paper for easy clean up.
Pyrex 3 Glass Mixing Bowls: These are my favorite mixing bowls for baking.
Pyrex Glass Measuring Cups: Use these measuring cups for the ingredients.
Check out all of my kitchen favorites!
You May Also Like
- Chocolate Chip Sugar Cookies
- Coffee Cookies
- Gluten Free Lemon Cookies
- Keto Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Cookies
If you make this Funfetti cookie recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Dessert Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Funfetti Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour*, gluten free or all purpose
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup rainbow sprinkles
- First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the room temperature butter and sugar until light and fluffy using an electric mixer.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour (regular or gluten free), baking powder, and salt.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing until just combined.
- Gently fold in the rainbow sprinkles, ensuring they are evenly distributed throughout the dough.
- Scoop rounded tablespoons of dough onto the prepared baking sheet, spacing them about 2 inches apart. If desired, press a few extra sprinkles onto the tops of the cookies for decoration.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the edges are lightly golden. The centers may appear soft, but they will firm up as they cool.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking pan for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to completely cool.
- Finally, once cooled, store the Funfetti cookies in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Use butter that is slightly soft to the touch, but not melted.
- I like to leave the butter on the kitchen counter for an hour before baking.
- Since I am gluten free, I always use gluten free 1 to 1 flour. King Arthur Flour and Bob’s Red Mill both work well.
- The dough will be relatively thick.
- Do not bake too long. These cookies are meant to be soft.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
- Freeze for 2 months if needed.
Love these easy Funfetti cookies? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes, and updates!