Chocolate Chip Sugar Cookies
These Chocolate Chip Sugar Cookies are so fun and festive! They combine the best parts of a soft sugar cookie and a classic chocolate chip cookies. They are easy to make, great for the holidays, and have the best chewy shortbread texture!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- These chocolate chip sugar cookies are super easy!
- They have the perfect crispy edges and a soft chewy center.
- These cookies are made with only a few ingredients.
- Add some frosting on top for a fun treat. This Keto Chocolate Frosting is delicious!
- They are great for holidays, Christmas, birthdays and more!
- This recipe is gluten free.
- They are made without brown sugar and without powdered sugar.
- Check out these Paleo Cut Out Sugar Cookies for another fun option!
Ingredients & Substitutions
Room temperature butter gives these sugar cookies the best buttery flavor. The butter should be slightly soft to the touch but not melted. If using unsalted butter, feel free to add a pinch of salt to the cookie batter. I do not recommend trying to substitute coconut oil or a Vegan butter.
Granulated white sugar provides all the sweetness. I do not recommend any substitutions.
The egg is vital! Do not replace the egg. It helps bind the cookies together. For an eggless version, make these Vegan Sugar Cookies.
The vanilla extract adds some classic cookie flavor.
Both gluten free 1 to 1 flour and all purpose flour work well. A grain free flour such as almond or coconut will yield significantly different results. For that reason, I only recommend gluten free 1 to 1 flour or all purpose.
The baking soda helps these cookies rise while baking.
Mini chocolate chips add the right amount of chocolate without being overwhelming. Since these cookies are relatively thin, I recommend mini chocolate chips. Regular chocolate chips might create bumpy looking cookies.
Taste & Texture
These chocolate chip sugar cookies taste like a buttery sugar cookie. The chocolate chips are small and subtle. They definitely taste like sugar cookies!
They have golden crispy edges and a soft chewy center.
How to Make
In a stand mixer, beat room temperature butter and white sugar on high for 1 minute.
Then, stir in egg and vanilla extract.
Add in flour and baking soda. Stir to combine.
Fold in chocolate chips. Refrigerate dough for at least 1 hour.
Once dough has chilled, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
Use cookie scoop to scoop round balls of dough onto lined pan.
Bake for 10 to 11 minutes or until cookies are set in the middle.
Finally, remove from oven. Cool cookies on pan for 10 minutes. Then, carefully transfer to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Use room temperature butter! This is very important in achieving the perfect cookie texture.
Chilling the dough yields the best results. Without chilling, these cookies will spread into pancakes. The longer the dough chills, the more compact these cookies will be.
Since these cookies are soft, handle carefully after baking. Allow them to fully cool before picking up.
How to Serve & Store
Serve cookies once they are cool enough to handle. They are fragile!
Store cookies covered at room temperature for up to 4 days. Store in fridge for up to 7 days.
Freeze cookies for up to 2 months.
Frequently Asked Questions
No, sugar cookie dough is made without brown sugar.
I used Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips. Highly recommend!
Yes, chilling the dough is mandatory.
Sure! These cookies will turn out as sugar cookies without the chocolate. I have tried them this way and they are delicious.
You May Also Like
If you make this recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along!
Get the Recipe: Chocolate Chip Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 ½ cups white granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 ¾ cups gluten free 1 to 1 flour, or all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- First, add room temperature butter and white sugar to a stand mixer. Beat for 1 minute on high, until combined.
- Then, add in egg and vanilla extract. Stir to combine.
- Add in flour and baking soda. Stir to combine.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Refrigerate dough for at least 1 hour, up to 24 hours.
- Once chilled, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Use cookie scoop to scoop 1 inch round balls of dough onto lined pan.
- Bake for 10 to 11 minutes or until cookies are set in the middle.
- Finally, remove from oven. Allow cookies to cool on pan for 10 minutes before carefully transferring them to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Use room temperature butter. Melted or solid butter will yield different textures. I like to set my butter out an hour or two before baking.
- Both gluten free 1 to 1 flour and all purpose flour can be used.
- Chilling the dough is not optional. I have tried to bake these cookies without chilling and they spread too much.
- Mini chocolate chips add the perfect amount of chocolate without being overpowering. I suggest using mini or finely chopped chocolate.
- These cookies are soft and fragile. Handle carefully after baking.
- Store covered at room temperature for up to 4 days.
- Freeze cookies for up to 2 months if desired.
Love these chocolate chip sugar cookies? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!
10 Comments on “Chocolate Chip Sugar Cookies”
This cookies were delicious…and so easy to make too.
Who can say no to these chocolate chip cookies? They’re so easy to make but delivers the best result
Looks so good! I need to try this. Thanks for sharing!
Loved these cookies. Great recipe.
These look delish! Can’t wait to make them!
Love a good sugar cookie recipe! Going to make some with my kids!
Love that you added Choc chips to the classic sugar cookie recipe! So delicious!
Love a good cookie recipe. Looks delicious!
you cant go wrong with these chocolate chip cookies! amazing taste
I loved the addition of chocolate chips! So fun and delicious.