Dairy Free Brownies
These dairy free brownies are gooey, fudge like and so delicious! They take only 30 minutes from start to finish. These homemade brownies taste like classic brownies but they are made without dairy. They are truly the most decadent brownies!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- These dairy free brownies are quick and easy.
- They are gooey and fudge like.
- These brownies have a shiny crinkly top.
- They are way better than boxed brownies.
- Top them with frosting and sprinkles for a fun dessert.
- Or, top them with edible cookie dough like these Cookie Dough Brownies.
- They are made without butter, without milk and without dairy.
- This recipe is grain free, gluten free, dairy free and nut free.
- For Paleo, use coconut sugar.
- Check out these Paleo Brownies for another great recipe!
Ingredients & Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for dairy free brownies. Scroll down to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
Instead of butter, this recipe uses coconut oil. Coconut oil is a great dairy free baking fat. Use refined coconut oil for a neutral flavor. Unrefined coconut oil has a slight coconut flavor.
Dairy free chocolate chips add the chocolate flavor. There are many great dairy free chocolate brands. I love Enjoy Life dark chocolate chips.
Lightly packed light brown sugar adds sweetness. If desired, use coconut sugar. White sugar may also be used.
The eggs add that shiny crinkly top. In addition, eggs hold the brownies together. I do not recommend substituting the eggs in this specific recipe, but try these Eggless Brownies.
Cocoa powder adds even more chocolate flavor. Either dark cocoa powder or regular cocoa powder work well. Additionally, cacao powder is a viable substitute.
Vanilla extract adds a great homemade flavor.
Tapioca flour helps thicken the brownie batter. Cornstarch and arrowroot powder are perfect substitutes if needed.
Fold in some extra chocolate chips to the batter before baking if desired.
See the section below titled Flavor Variations & Add Ins for more fun flavor ideas.
What is Dairy Free?
Dairy free diets exclude all products made from and containing dairy. Dairy free excludes all animal milk and products made from milk.
A dairy free diet does not include animal milk, cream, yogurt, butter and cheese. Many dairy free dieters do eat meat, eggs and other animal products.
Although people are dairy free for many reasons, the most common is lactose intolerance. Those who are lactose intolerant cannot consume dairy products.
Contrary to popular belief, eggs are not considered dairy.
These dairy free brownies do not contain any dairy. The taste, flavor and texture is exactly the same as traditional brownies.
Taste & Texture
These dairy free brownies are rich, decadent and chocolaty. There is no detectable difference in taste or texture compared to classic brownies.
The texture is gooey and fudge like. They are not dry or bland. In fact, they are very gooey!
How to Make
First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line 8 inch by 8 inch square pan with parchment paper.
Add melted coconut oil and 1 cup chocolate chips to a bowl. Stir until chocolate chips have completely melted.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, add light brown sugar and eggs. Beat for 2 to 3 minutes or until light and frothy.
Then, pour melted chocolate mixture into bowl. Stir to combine.
Add in cocoa powder, vanilla extract and tapioca flour. Then, stir to combine.
Then, stir in extra chocolate chips if desired.
Pour batter into lined baking pan.
Bake for 20 to 24 minutes or until the middle of the brownies is barely set.
Finally, remove from oven. Allow brownies to cool fully before slicing.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Mix melted coconut oil and chocolate chips until completely creamy. If needed, microwave until fully melted.
Both light brown sugar and coconut sugar work well. White sugar can be used, but does not provide a deep flavor.
Beat brown sugar and eggs for at least 2 to 3 minutes. The mixture will become light and frothy. This yields that shiny crinkly top.
Brownie batter will look slightly thicker than boxed brownie mix.
For very gooey brownies, bake only 20 minutes. Otherwise, bake up to 24 to 25 minutes.
Allow brownies to fully cool before slicing into. They are gooey!
Flavor Variations & Add Ins
Consider these delicious flavor combinations.
Sprinkle in some dairy free white chocolate chips to the batter.
Add chopped chocolate bars to the batter.
Add in a drop of mint extract.
Top with chocolate frosting.
Top with vanilla frosting and sprinkles.
How to Serve & Store
Serve dairy free brownies once fully cooled. Otherwise, they are too gooey to slice into.
Serve by themselves or topped with frosting and sprinkles.
For the ultimate dessert, serve them warmed up with dairy free ice cream. Yum!
Store leftovers at room temperature for up to 4 days.
Or, store in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Freeze individual brownies for up to 1 month.
Frequently Asked Questions
Some brownies mixes are dairy free. Duncan Hines has dark chocolate fudge mix, which is dairy free.
Betty Crocker dark chocolate brownie mix does not contain dairy, but may be cross contaminated.
Use tapioca flour, arrowroot starch or cornstarch for these brownies.
I highly recommend the brand Enjoy Life. Their allergy friendly chocolate chips are delicious and melt well.
You May Also Like
- Gluten Free Brownies
- Gluten Free Dairy Free Brownies
- Chocolate Cherry Brownies
- Matcha Brownies
- Lactation Brownies
If you make this dairy free brownies recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Dairy Free Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Dairy Free Brownies
- First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line an 8 inch by 8 inch square pan with parchment paper.
- Add melted coconut oil and 1 cup chocolate chips to a bowl. Stir until chocolate chips have completely melted.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add light brown sugar and eggs. Beat for 2 to 3 minutes or until light and frothy.
- Then, pour melted chocolate mixture into bowl. Stir to combine.
- Add in cocoa powder, vanilla extract and tapioca flour. Stir to combine.
- Then, stir in extra chocolate chips if desired.
- Pour batter into lined baking pan.
- Bake for 20 to 24 minutes or until the middle of the brownies is barely set.
- Finally, remove from oven. Allow brownies to cool fully before slicing.
- Stir melted coconut oil and chocolate chips until fully smooth and creamy. If needed, microwave for a few seconds to fully melt together.
- Lightly pack brown sugar. Coconut sugar can be used if needed.
- Beat light brown sugar and eggs for 2 to 3 minutes. The mixture should look frothy.
- The brownie batter will look slightly thicker than boxed brownies.
- For extra gooey brownies, bake only 20 minutes.
- Allow brownies to fully cool before slicing into. They are gooey!
Love these dairy free brownies? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!