Chocolate Covered Pecans
These chocolate covered pecans are crunchy, creamy and chocolaty! This easy recipe is great for a healthy dessert. These dark chocolate covered pecans taste rich and decadent but they are shockingly easy and require only 4 ingredients!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- These chocolate covered pecans are super easy to make.
- They are no bake and do not require an oven.
- After roasting, the pecans develop a subtle smoky flavor. This is insanely delicious with the chocolate coating!
- This recipe can be easily made Keto with the use of a brown sugar alternative and sugar free chocolate chips.
- To make Paleo and Vegan, use Vegan chocolate chips.
- This recipe is naturally gluten free.
- For another fun holiday recipe, check out these Paleo Pecan Pie Bars!
Ingredients & Substitutions
The pecans are obviously very important! They are crispy and crunchy. These nuts are also low in carbs and great for Paleo and Keto diets. Roasted pecans have a nice smoky flavor which pairs well with the chocolate.
Coconut oil is used in both coating the pecans before roasting and the chocolate coating. When roasted, the coconut oil brings out a very subtle sweet flavor. Coconut oil also goes into the chocolate coating. Since coconut oil is solid when cold, it keeps the chocolate coating firm. Do not substitute for it.
A little coconut sugar adds some sweetness to the roasted pecans. For Keto, use a brown sugar alternative like Swerve. Substitute light brown sugar if needed.
Chocolate chips are melted before coating the pecans. Use your favorite type of chocolate that melts well. For Keto, use sugar free chocolate chips. For Paleo and Vegan, use Vegan dark chocolate chips. If you have white chocolate that melts well, that can also be used.
All About Pecans
Pecans are deemed a superfood because of their many health benefits. These nuts are both healthy and delicious!
Pecans contain high levels of magnesium, potassium and calcium. They contain heart healthy fats, keeping you fuller longer. Pecans are naturally cholesterol free and sodium free. Additionally, pecans are very low in carbohydrates, making them perfect for low carb and Keto diets.
These nuts are known for their crunchy brown exterior. They have a rich flavor with a slight natural sweetness. In addition, these nuts are slightly buttery in taste.
Roasting the Pecans
Roasting the pecans is an easy way to get the most flavor out of them. Only a little coconut oil and coconut sugar coat the pecans before going in the oven. This brings out the flavor of the pecans perfectly.
While this recipe can technically be made without roasting the nuts first, it makes all the difference. The pecans develop a slight smoky flavor which pairs well with the chocolate coating!
Taste & Texture
These chocolate covered pecans have a strong chocolate flavor! They roasted pecans are slightly smoky, a little buttery and so flavorful. The smokiness from the pecans balances out the sweetness from the chocolate coating. A little sea salt on top adds the perfect salty flavor!
These dark chocolate covered pecans are crunchy, crispy and creamy.
How to Make
First, preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a rimmed baking pan with parchment paper.
Arrange pecans in an even layer on lined pan.
Melt coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl. Stir in coconut sugar until combined.
Pour this mixture over pecans. With hands, toss pecans until they are fully coated. Arrange in an even layer.
Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until pecans are warm and golden but not turning brown. Remove pan from oven. Carefully pour pecans into a large bowl.
In a microwave safe bowl, melt dark chocolate chips and coconut oil in 30 second increments, stopping to stir between each increment.
Once smooth and creamy, pour chocolate mixture over pecans in large bowl. Use a spoon to fully coat the pecans. Then use the spoon to drop pecans in small clumps on a separate clean parchment lined pan.
Continue this process for all pecans. You should have 10 to 12 clumps of pecans at the end. If desired, sprinkle sea salt on top.
Place pan in the fridge for at least 30 minutes or until chocolate has cooled and hardened. Serve!
Expert Tips & Tricks
Make sure pecans are fully coated in coconut oil and coconut sugar prior to roasting.
Do not burn pecans. Roast until warmed and golden, but not dark brown.
Melt chocolate and coconut oil in 30 second increments in the microwave. This is vital to prevent burning. Mine only needed the initial 30 seconds. Stir until completely smooth and creamy.
Fully coat pecans in chocolate mixture.
When dropping the pecans in clumps, make sure pecans overlap. They need to be “connected” to stay together after cooling.
Store chocolate pecans in fridge. The chocolate coating may become soft when stored at room temperature, so store in the fridge or freezer.
How to Serve & Store
Serve once chocolate coating has hardened.
Store in fridge or freezer.
Variations & Add Ins
Consider switching up your pecans! Here are some fun ways to mix and match this recipe.
Use cashews, peanuts, almonds or macadamia nuts in place of pecans.
Use more than one nut.
Instead of dark chocolate, use milk chocolate or white chocolate.
Add sprinkles on top.
For a sweet and spicy flavor, consider roasting pecans with paprika or cayenne pepper.
Add in dried cranberries or another dried fruit into melted chocolate with pecans.
Drizzle with caramel on top.
Choosing Your Chocolate
Choose chocolate that melts well.
For gluten free, Paleo, Vegan and dairy free, use Vegan chocolate. I love Enjoy Life dark chocolate chips.
For low carb and Keto chocolate covered pecans, use sugar free chocolate chips. I love Lily’s chocolate chips.
White chocolate is another fun option. Since white chocolate can be tough to melt, make sure it is fully melted and creamy before coating pecans.
Semi sweet chocolate and milk chocolate work well too.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, these need to be refrigerated or frozen.
Yes, but they will not have that delicious smoky flavor.
Yes, use sugar free chocolate chips and brown sugar alternative for Keto and low carb.
Yes, use dairy free chocolate chips for Paleo.
Yes! These are great frozen.
You May Also Like
If you make this chocolate covered pecan recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Dessert Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Chocolate Covered Pecans
- First, preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a rimmed baking pan with parchment paper.
- Arrange pecans in an even layer on lined pan.
- Melt coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl. Stir in coconut sugar until combined.
- Pour this mixture over pecans. With hands, toss pecans until they are fully coated. Arrange in an even layer.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until pecans are warm and golden but not turning brown.
- Remove pan from oven. Pour pecans into a large bowl.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt dark chocolate chips and coconut oil in 30 second increments, stopping to stir between each increment.
- Once smooth and creamy, pour chocolate mixture over pecans in large bowl. Use a spoon to fully coat the pecans. Then use the spoon to drop pecans in small clumps on a separate clean parchment lined pan.
- Continue this process for all pecans. You should have 10 to 12 clumps of pecans at the end. If desired, sprinkle sea salt on top.
- Place pan in the fridge for at least 30 minutes or until chocolate has cooled and hardened. Serve!
- Lightly toast pecans until they are warm and golden, but not burnt. You do not want the tops of the pecans to turn dark brown.
- If desired, you can make individual chocolate covered pecans. Drop in pecans to chocolate mixture and remove individually onto pan to cool.
- For Keto, use a brown sugar alternative and sugar free chocolate chips.
- For Paleo and Vegan, use Vegan and dairy free chocolate chips.
- Store chocolate covered pecans in the fridge. They will become melty at room temperature if kept out too long.
- These are delicious frozen!
Love these dark chocolate covered pecans? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!