This rump steak recipe is so juicy and tender! This inexpensive cut of steak is hearty and savory. It takes less than 20 minutes from start to finish. Add your favorite sauce, marinade or dip. Either way, this cut of steak is simple and straightforward to make.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This rump steak is quick and easy.
- Only a few ingredients needed.
- It gets a beautiful sear on each side.
- The meat remains juicy and tender.
- This cut of steak is more affordable than most.
- This dish is high in protein and low in carbs and sugar.
- Great for family dinners or meal prep.
- This recipe is Whole30 compliant, Paleo, gluten free, Keto, low carb, nut free, and sugar free.
- Check out this Top Sirloin Steak Recipe or this Beef Liver and Onions for another delicious dinner.
Ingredients & Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for rump steak. Scroll down to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
Use fresh steak when possible. If you only have frozen, thaw completely. Aim for a 1 inch thick steak. My butcher slices this very thin, so I specifically ask for 1 inch thickness.
A little sea salt and pepper adds a subtle flavor.
Avocado oil sears the steak. If desired, use olive oil.
A little butter adds a great flavor. Ghee works well too. For dairy free, use dairy free butter.
Finally, garnish with fresh herbs if desired.
What is Rump Steak?
Rump steak is a cut of meat from the hind of the cow. This area is known as the round or the rump.
Since this area is very lean, rump steaks have less marbling and a lower fat content.
This inexpensive cut of beef needs to be tenderized or marinated. This helps soften the meat before cooking. Otherwise, the meat can be tough. Other steaks like sirloins, filet mignon and Porterhouse steaks are much more expensive but more tender.
This cut of beef can be cooked several different ways. Braise, broil, sauté or pan fry rump steak.
Cooking with oil or butter can help make this steak more tender.
Rump steak is the name commonly used in Europe. In the United States, the term round steak is more popular.
Taste & Texture
This beef rump steak is hearty and savory.
The texture is somewhat tender and juicy. It is not as tender as filet mignon. Depending on your butcher, it may be cut to as small as ½ inch thick. Or, it can be thicker than 1 inch.
How to Make
First, pat steak dry with paper towels. Season both sides with sea salt and pepper.
Add avocado oil to a skillet over medium high heat. Once the oil is hot, add steaks to the pan.
Cook for 2 minutes. Then, flip steaks. Add the butter to the pan. Cook for another 2 minutes.
Remove steaks from pan. Allow steaks to rest for 5 minutes to lock in the juices.
Finally, serve with fresh herbs.
Expert Tips & Tricks
For best results, use a high quality steak. Go to your local butcher and have them slice it for you.
If using frozen, thaw completely beforehand.
Allow the oil to get hot before adding steaks. This creates a beautiful sear.
Use a meat thermometer to accurately measure internal temperature.
Do not over cook steak.
Allow rump steak to sit for 5 minutes after cooking. This yields a juicier result.
Time & Temperature
This is the temperature chart for a 1 inch thick rump steak. Different thickness will require different cooking times. For best results, use a meat thermometer. This is a guide to help you.
|Doneness||Cooking Time (Each Side)||Internal Temperature|
|Rare||2 minutes||120 degrees Fahrenheit|
|Medium Rare||3 minutes||130 degrees Fahrenheit|
|Medium||4 minutes||140 degrees Fahrenheit|
|Medium Well||5 minutes||150 degrees Fahrenheit|
|Well Done||5+ minutes||160 degrees Fahrenheit|
Other Cooking Methods
There are several other ways to cook rump steak.
This steak can be braised, baked in the oven, or even grilled.
If grilling, try not to continue flipping over and over. Sear on both sides similarly to this recipe.
For an air fryer, check out this Air Fryer Ribeye Steak for tips and tricks.
How to Serve & Store
Serve rump steak 5 minutes after cooking. Make it a feast with this Bratwurst Recipe too!
Serve alongside mashed potatoes, French fries, roasted veggies or a side salad.
Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Frequently Asked Questions
Rump steak is not the most tender steak naturally. It is not overly tough either. It is somewhere in the middle. This Oven Tri Tip and this Skirt Steak are very tender.
Use your favorite condiment, dip, marinade or steak sauce. For even more flavor, try this Best Steak Seasoning!
Serve with some sort of potatoes, veggies or salad.
I buy mine from my butcher at my local grocery store.
You May Also Like
- Sous Vide Flank Steak
- Whole30 Steak with Gravy
- Instant Pot Steak
- Chicken Schnitzel
- Sous Vide Tri Tip
If you make this recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, see these Lunch and Dinner Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Rump Steak
- 2 rump steaks
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp avocado oil, or olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter, or ghee
- fresh herbs, to garnish
- First, pat steak dry with paper towels. Season on both sides with sea salt and pepper.
- Add avocado oil to a skillet over medium high heat. Once oil is hot, add steaks to the pan.
- Cook for 2 minutes. Then, flip steaks. Add the butter to the pan. Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Remove steaks from pan. Allow steaks to rest for 5 minutes to lock in the juices.
- Finally, serve with fresh herbs if desired.
- For best results, use fresh rump steak.
- If you only have frozen, thaw completely.
- Only a little bit of sea salt and pepper is needed in terms of seasoning.
- See blog post above for other meat temperatures and cooking times.
- Use a meat thermometer to accurately read temperature of steak.
- Depending on the thickness of your steak, cooking times may vary.
- Allow the meat to rest after cooking. This makes it extra juicy.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Love this healthy rump steak recipe? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!