Air Fryer Butternut Squash
This air fryer butternut squash is tender, crispy and so easy! It is quick and simple to make. This roasted squash is great as a side dish, in soups or stews, or as meal prep. The outsiders are crispy and the insides are soft and tender!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This air fryer butternut squash is quick and easy.
- Only 4 ingredients required.
- It comes together in less than 30 minutes.
- This butternut squash is versatile.
- Use in soups, stews, salads, and more.
- This recipe is Whole30 compliant, Paleo, gluten free, dairy free, vegan, egg free, nut free, and sugar free.
- Check out this Butternut Squash Curry for another delicious fall recipe!
Ingredients & Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for air fryer butternut squash. Scroll down to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
Use a large fresh butternut squash. Peel carefully. Then, dice into 1 inch cubes. If needed, use the pre-cut squash at the grocery store. If using frozen, thaw beforehand.
A little olive oil helps crisp up the squash. In addition, it helps the squash becomes soft and tender. Substitutes include avocado oil, melted ghee or melted coconut oil.
Sea salt and black pepper add a subtle flavor.
Feel free to add garlic powder, cinnamon, cumin or other spices.
Taste & Texture
This air fryer butternut squash is naturally sweet and savory! The squash becomes slightly caramelized in the air fryer. The flavor also depends on the spices used.
The middles are soft and tender. The outsides get a little crispy.
How to Make
First, peel and dice the butternut squash into 1 inch cubes.
In a large bowl, add cubed butternut squash, olive oil, sea salt and pepper. Toss until squash is fully coated in oil and seasonings.
Arrange diced butternut squash in the air fryer basket. Spread into one even layer.
Air fry at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 to 20 minutes.
Finally, remove from air fryer. Serve!
Expert Tips & Tricks
For best results, use a large fresh butternut squash. If necessary, frozen can be used. Thaw beforehand.
Dice squash into 1 inch cubes.
Feel free to add more or different seasonings and spices. See section below for different flavor combinations.
All air fryers are different. Frying time may vary. Check after 15 minutes or so.
If you air fryer requires pre-heating, then pre-heat.
Consider these flavor variations for your butternut squash.
For sweet, use sea salt, cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg.
Roasting in coconut oil yields a sweeter result.
For spicy, use cayenne powder or cumin.
Serve with crispy bacon bits.
Drizzle some maple syrup or honey on top after air frying.
How to Serve & Store
Serve squash once crispy on the outside and fork tender.
This can be eaten by itself or as a side dish.
This squash is great in soups, stews and salads.
Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, squash is great in the air fryer.
It only takes 15 to 20 minutes to roast butternut squash in the air fryer.
Yes, peel the squash.
Yes, butternut squash is a carb.
An air fryer makes veggies crispy and delicious!
You May Also Like
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Spaghetti Squash
- Easy Air Fryer Spaghetti Squash
- How to Roast Butternut Squash
- Whole30 Stuffed Butternut Squash
- Whole30 Butternut Squash Soup
If you make this air fryer butternut squash recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Side Dishes.
Get the Recipe: Air Fryer Butternut Squash
- First, peel and dice butternut squash into 1 inch cubes.
- In a large bowl, add cubed butternut squash, olive oil, sea salt and pepper. Toss until squash is fully coated in oil and seasonings.
- Arrange diced butternut squash in the air fryer basket. Spread into one even layer.
- Air fry at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Finally, remove from air fryer. Serve!
- Carefully peel and cube butternut squash.
- Dice into no larger than 1 inch cubes.
- This is a great base recipe. Feel free to add more or different seasonings. Garlic powder is a great choice!
- I have tried this recipe both with and without olive oil. It is significantly better with oil.
- Continue air frying until squash has reached desired crispiness.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Love this air fryer butternut squash? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!