Easy Roasted Pepitas
These roasted pepitas are super easy, crispy and delicious! They are slightly sweet, slightly salty, and crunchy. These oven roasted pumpkin seeds are a healthy and quick snack or tasty salad topping!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- These roasted pepitas are quick, easy and so yummy!
- It is a healthy snack or salad topper.
- The seasonings can be tweaked for entirely new flavors.
- They are made with only 5 ingredients.
- This recipe is Paleo, gluten free, dairy free, and Vegan.
- Check out these roasted pumpkin seeds for another fun recipe!
What are Pepitas?
Pepitas seeds are harvested from hull-less pumpkins. They are seeds without shells. These small green seeds grow without a shell inside a pumpkin.
Pepitas and pumpkin seeds are not the same thing, since pepitas only come from certain varieties of pumpkin squash. Regular pumpkin seeds are a light beige, off white color. They are also usually bigger than pepitas.
Ingredients & Substitutions
Use raw pepitas (not previously roasted) for best results. Pre-roasted pepitas usually contain a seasoning already.
Coconut oil is a great healthy baking fat. It melts easily and provides added flavor. Unrefined coconut oil has a slightly sweet coconut flavor which really adds to the pepitas. If desired, use refined coconut oil (neutral taste) or olive oil in its place.
The coconut sugar adds a touch of sweetness. Use brown sugar or maple sugar in its place if desired.
The cinnamon adds the best touch of flavor!
Use sea salt if desired. I highly recommend it.
Health Benefits & Nutrition
Pepitas seeds are low in calories but high in heart healthy fats.
In addition, they contain iron, magnesium, manganese and zinc.
How to Make
First, preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
Melt coconut oil. Add all ingredients to a mixing bowl. Toss until pepitas are fully coated.
Spread into one even layer on baking pan.
Bake for 20 minutes, stopping halfway to stir around seeds.
Finally, remove from oven and enjoy!
Expert Tips & Tricks
Use raw pepitas. They are a blank canvas!
Toss pepitas until they are fully covered.
Spread seeds into one even layer.
Shake or stir pepitas halfway through baking so they are evenly roasted.
Different Flavor Combinations
These pepitas are great with many different flavors! Instead of the coconut oil, coconut sugar and cinnamon, try adding these flavors:
Olive oil and sea salt: 2 tablespoons olive oil & 1 teaspoon sea salt
Garlic: 2 tablespoons olive oil & 1 teaspoon garlic powder
Maple: 1 tablespoon coconut oil & 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup (watch closely to prevent burning)
Honey: 1 tablespoon coconut oil & 1 tablespoon honey (watch closely to prevent burning)
Gingerbread: 1 tablespoon coconut oil & 1 tablespoon molasses & 1 teaspoon ground ginger (watch closely to prevent burning)
How to Serve & Store
Serve pepitas once they are cool enough to touch. They are great warm from the oven!
Since they are crispy and crunchy, serve on top of a salad.
Store in a jar with a lid at room temperature for up to 10 days.
Frequently Asked Questions
Pepitas are seeds grown without a shell in hull-less pumpkins.
Pepitas are a type of pumpkin seed grown in specific varieties of pumpkins. Pumpkin seeds are beige or white in color, while pepitas are smaller and green.
Yes, pepitas have many health benefits!
You May Also Like
Get the Recipe: Easy Roasted Pepitas
- First, preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Melt coconut oil in the microwave.
- Add melted coconut oil, pepitas, coconut sugar, cinnamon and sea salt to a large mixing bowl. Toss until seeds are completely coated.
- Spread pepitas in one even layer on lined baking pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove pan from oven and shake pan so seeds get stirred around.
- Return pan to oven and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Finally, remove pan from oven. Once seeds are cool to the touch, add to a jar and store.
- Use raw pepitas for best results.
- Toss pepitas until completely coated in the oil and cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Spread into one even layer so that all the seeds get roasted.
- Store in a jar with lid at room temperature for up to 10 days.
- See blog post above for more flavor combinations.
Love these roasted pepitas? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans and new recipes!