Paleo Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes (Gluten Free)
These Paleo Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes are true decadence! They are rich, intense, and filled with tons of dark chocolate. These gluten free cakes are truly the best! Think crispy edges, a liquid chocolate ganache center, and the most intense chocolate flavor.
If I could only eat one thing for the rest of my life, it would be chocolate. It’s not even close. I have high praise for these Paleo Lava Cakes! They are rich, chocolaty and gooey. The liquid chocolate center is insane!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- These gluten free chocolate lava cakes are SUPER easy to make.
- They require only 6 ingredients.
- These lava cakes are made without butter, without flour, without powdered sugar, without bittersweet chocolate, and without baking powder.
- Unlike the traditional recipes, these are dairy free lava cakes.
- These Paleo lava cakes are the BEST! Trust me here!
- They are Paleo, Grain Free, Gluten Free, and Dairy Free.
DARK CHOCOLATE CHIPS: Melted dark chocolate chips and coconut oil give these lava cakes an extra fudge-like consistency.
ALMOND FLOUR: Almond flour is a popular Paleo baking flour since it is grain free and gluten free. These lava cakes are made with almond flour, and therefore are made without white flour.
EGGS: The eggs give these Paleo chocolate lava cakes their rise.
COCONUT SUGAR: A natural sweetener, coconut sugar sweetens these mini cakes.
COCOA POWDER: These gluten free molten lava cakes are made with cocoa powder. This gives them their chocolate flavor.
To make Paleo lava cakes, preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and grease three 3 inch ramekins with olive oil spray.
Next, in a microwave safe dish, melt chocolate chips and coconut oil in 30 second increments. Stir until smooth and creamy.
Then, in a mixing bowl or KitchenAid, beat eggs and coconut sugar on high for 1 minute.
Turn speed to low and slowly pour in melted chocolate until mixed.
Next, sift in almond flour and cocoa powder. Divide batter between ramekins.
Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are set and middle is jiggly.
Cool lava cakes for 5 minutes. Run a thin knife around the edges of each ramekin. Lastly, place a plate upside down over each lava cake and invert ramekin, releasing the lava cake.
First, melt chocolate chips and coconut oil until smooth and creamy. Any lingering chocolate chunks will lead to clumpy batter.
In addition, beat eggs and coconut sugar until combined fully. This took me 1 minute on high.
Lastly, remove ramekins from oven when edges are set and the middle of each lava cake looks jiggly (a little under baked).
Very carefully run a thin knife around the edge of each ramekin and invert onto a plate. This will help the Paleo lava cakes come out easier.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Molten chocolate lava cakes are a dessert that are typically made with eggs, butter, flour, sugar and chocolate. They are named after their liquid chocolate center. Lava cakes are a mix between a chocolate cake and a soufflé.
Instead of ramekins, use shallow mugs, small bowls, or these mini cocottes.
The middles of lava cakes are slightly undercooked, but still safe to eat.
Yes, lava cakes are safe to eat. The edges should be crispy and the middles jiggly.
No, lava cake is not raw batter. They are slightly undercooked and gooey, but not raw.
You May Also Like
Get the Recipe: Paleo Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes (Gluten Free)
- First, preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and grease 3 ramekins (mine are 3 inches wide) with olive oil spray.
- Next, melt dark chocolate chips and coconut oil in the microwave in 30 second increments. Mix until smooth and creamy. Then, set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl or KitchenAid, beat eggs and coconut sugar on high for 1 minute.
- Turn speed to low and slowly add in melted chocolate. Once mixed, sift in almond flour and cocoa powder.
- After that, pour mixture equally into 3 ramekins and place ramekins on baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are set but middle is still jiggly. Mine were perfect at 11 minutes.
- Next, remove from oven and cool lava cakes for 5 minutes.
- Lastly, gently run a thin knife around the edge of each ramekin. Next, place a plate upside down over each ramekin and invert ramekin, releasing lava cake.
- Melt chocolate and coconut oil until smooth and creamy. Microwave in 30 second increments, stirring between each, to prevent burning.
- Beat eggs and coconut sugar about 1 minute.
- Sift in almond flour and cocoa powder to avoid clumps of flour.
- Bake until middles are slightly jiggly but not raw.
- Allow lava cakes to cool at 5 minutes before inverting onto a plate to serve.
Have you signed up for my free newsletter? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans and new recipes!