These vegan donuts are soft, fluffy and coated in a delicious cinnamon sugar! This recipe is quick and easy to make. Only 25 minutes from start to finish. These homemade donuts are great for kids, holidays, birthdays and more!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- These vegan donuts are quick and easy.
- Only one mixing bowl required.
- No dough chilling needed.
- They are soft and fluffy.
- They are made without yeast and without frying.
- The cinnamon sugar mixture is easy and sweet.
- Feel free to top with frosting or icing.
- These donuts are great for any occasion!
- Great for those with food allergies or intolerances.
- This recipe is gluten free friendly, egg free, dairy free, vegan, and nut free friendly.
- Check out these Gluten Free Donuts for another fun recipe!
Ingredients & Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for vegan donuts. Scroll down to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
Any type of dairy free milk works. I do not recommend canned coconut milk however. Almond milk, cashew milk and oat milk all work.
Unsweetened applesauce replaces the egg. In addition, it adds a little natural sweetness.
Melted coconut oil helps thin out the dough. If desired, use vegan melted butter.
Both regular all purpose flour and gluten free 1 to 1 flour work well. I do not recommend using an alternative flour.
Granulated sugar helps sweeten the donut batter. I have not tried this recipe with a low carb sweetener.
Cinnamon adds a touch of flavor.
Add in a pinch of sea salt if desired.
Baking powder helps these donuts rise. These donuts do puff up considerably in the oven.
Lastly, the coating is made with cinnamon and sugar. If desired, omit the coating and top with frosting or icing.
Taste & Texture
These vegan donuts are sweet! The main flavors are cinnamon and sugar. Top with desired frosting to change up the flavor.
They are soft and fluffy. With that said, eat within 24 hours for best results.
How to Make
First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Generously spray a donut pan with nonstick spray.
In a mixing bowl, combine dairy free milk, applesauce, melted coconut oil and vanilla. Stir to combine.
Then, sift in flour. Add in sugar, cinnamon, sea salt and baking powder. Stir to combine.
Use a spoon to transfer donut batter into the sprayed donut pan. Fill each cavity almost all the way full. The donuts will rise while baking.
Bake for 10 to 11 minutes or until donuts have puffed up and edges are slightly golden.
Finally, remove from oven. Cool in pan for 5 minutes before carefully removing to a wire rack.
Once fully cooled, mix together cinnamon and sugar in shallow bowl. Place each donut in this mixture and moved around until fully coated.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Carefully measure all ingredients.
Generously grease donut pan with nonstick spray.
Any type of dairy free milk works, but do not use canned coconut milk. It creates very dense donuts.
Use either regular all purpose flour or gluten free 1 to 1 flour.
The donut batter is somewhat thick.
Use a spoon to transfer batter into the greased donut pan.
Bake donuts until puffed up. The edges will look slightly golden.
Allow egg free donuts to fully cool before coating.
How to Serve & Store
Serve vegan donuts once rolled in cinnamon sugar, frosted or iced.
Serve for breakfast, an afternoon snack or sweet treat.
These donuts are best eaten right after rolling in sugar. They tend to become more dense after 24 hours or so.
Store covered at room temperature for up to 1 day.
Frequently Asked Questions
No, typically donuts are made with eggs and butter. This recipe is completely vegan!
Krispy Kreme launched vegan options in the United Kingdom. The rest of the world does not sell vegan friendly donuts at their locations.
At this time, Dunkin does not sell vegan donuts.
Use gluten free flour to make these vegan gluten free donuts.
You May Also Like
- Vegan Pumpkin Bread
- Gluten Free Apple Cider Donuts
- Vegan Pumpkin Muffins
- Gluten Free Banana Cake Recipe (Paleo)
- Vegan Pound Cake
If you make this recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Vegan Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Vegan Donuts
- ⅔ cup dairy free milk
- 1 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour, gluten free or all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- pinch sea salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
Cinnamon Sugar Coating
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Generously spray a donut pan with nonstick spray.
- In a mixing bowl, combine dairy free milk, applesauce, melted coconut oil and vanilla. Stir to combine.
- Then, sift in flour. Add in sugar, cinnamon, sea salt and baking powder. Stir to combine.
- Use a spoon to transfer donut batter into the sprayed donut pan. Fill each cavity almost all the way full. The donuts will rise while baking.
- Bake for 10 to 11 minutes or until donuts have puffed up and edges are slightly golden.
- Finally, remove from oven. Cool in pan for 5 minutes before carefully removing to a wire rack.
- Once fully cooled, mix together cinnamon and sugar in shallow bowl. Place each donut in this mixture and moved around until fully coated.
- Any type of dairy free milk works. Canned coconut milk is a little bit too thick and makes for dense donuts. Otherwise, use almond, cashew or oat milk.
- If needed, replace melted coconut oil with melted vegan butter.
- Both regular all purpose flour and gluten free 1 to 1 flour work. For these photos, I used King Arthur Flour gluten free 1 to 1 flour.
- The batter is somewhat thick.
- Use a spoon to add batter to the greased donut pan. Or, you can add the batter to a piping bag and pipe it into the pan.
- Bake until donuts have puffed up and edges look golden.
- Wait until donuts are fully cooled before coating with cinnamon sugar.
- These donuts are best eaten with 24 hours. They do not keep much past 1 day.
Have you signed up for my newsletter? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!
FREE Meal Plan!Subscribe via Email