Protein Overnight Oats
These protein overnight oats are creamy, thick, and healthy! These oats are quick and easy to make and perfect for breakfast or snacks. Each jar of overnight oats takes just 5 minutes to prep and contains over 20 grams of protein!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- These protein overnight oats are a healthy breakfast or snack.
- This recipe is made with only a few pantry staples.
- There are over 20 grams of protein in each jar of overnight oats.
- These oats last for 3 days in the fridge. Perfect for meal prep!
- This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, and easily made Vegan and nut free.
- Check out these Overnight Oats with Frozen Fruit for another great idea.
- If you prefer a warm version, this Chocolate Baked Oatmeal is irresistible.
Ingredients & Substitutions
Scroll below to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
Use old fashioned oats instead of instant oats. They soak up more liquid and become soft. Use gluten free oats for gluten free.
Any type of milk works.
Chia seeds add a nutritional boost and soak up the milk. They are heart healthy, full of fiber and omega 3s. They can be omitted if needed, but the oats might not be quite as thick.
A little cinnamon adds a touch of flavor.
Pure maple syrup sweetens these protein overnight oats. Honey or date syrup can be used in its place.
Any type of protein powder works.
Taste & Texture
This overnight oats recipe tastes like oatmeal and whatever toppings you add. It is not overly sweet.
The texture is thick and creamy!
How to Make
First, add all of the ingredients to a mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
Divide mixture into 3 glass jars with lids. Then, secure lids.
Refrigerate jars for at least 4 hours, up to 72 hours.
When ready to eat, remove lid and add desired toppings.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Use old fashioned rolled oats for best results. Instant oats are more rough and do not soak up the liquid as much.
Refrigerate for at least 4 hours. The longer it chills, the more creamy and soft the oats will become.
Add toppings! This recipe is a great starting point for all the toppings.
If oats are too thick, feel free to add a splash more milk until desired consistency is reached.
How to Serve & Store
Serve overnight oats once chilled. Add toppings!
Store jars of oats in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Variations & Flavors
This recipe is great as is, but consider adding these toppings and flavors.
Chopped apples and cinnamon
Cocoa powder and peanut butter
Blueberries and a squeeze of lemon juice
Cocoa powder and cherries
Cocoa powder and strawberries
Chopped banana and peanut butter
Cocoa powder and peanut butter
How to Add More Protein
There are several ways to add more protein to overnight oats.
Add a spoonful of Greek yogurt
Add a spoonful of cottage cheese
Use a protein powder that is high in protein
Use cow’s milk if tolerated
Drizzle nut butter on top
Frequently Asked Questions
Overnight oats themselves do not contain much protein. Adding protein powder and nut butter adds a great source of protein.
For even more protein, add more protein powder, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese or nut butter.
Use old fashioned rolled oats.
Any protein powder works. I used a plant based vanilla protein.
These last 3 days in the fridge.
You May Also Like
If you make this protein overnight oats recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Breakfast Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Protein Overnight Oats
- First, add all ingredients to a mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
- Divide mixture into 3 glass jars with lids. Secure lids.
- Refrigerate jars for at least 4 hours, up to 72 hours.
- When ready to eat, remove lid and top with desired toppings.
- Use old fashioned oats, not instant oats.
- Use gluten free oats if gluten free.
- Any milk works! I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk to remain Vegan and dairy free.
- Any protein powder works.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours to allow the oats and chia seeds to soak.
- Store in fridge for up to 3 days.
Love these protein overnight oats? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!