These fun popcorn bars are quick, easy and made with only 6 ingredients! They are so whimsical and great for both children and adults. They are gooey, sweet, sticky, and delicious! The buttery marshmallow coating makes these bars so tasty. Great for an after school snack, movie night, birthday dessert, entertaining idea, or bake sale dessert!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- These popcorn bars take only 25 minutes total.
- Only 6 ingredients needed.
- They are sweet, sticky and crunchy.
- The popcorn adds the best buttery and salty flavor.
- This recipe is great for both kids and adults.
- Great for birthday parties, party favors, bake sales and more.
- Feel free to totally customize them!
- Great for snacks and desserts.
- This recipe is naturally gluten free, egg free and nut free.
- Check out this Pretzel Crack recipe for another fun and festive dessert!
Ingredients & Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for popcorn bars. Scroll down to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
Use any type of popcorn. From my own experience, choose unflavored or salty popcorn. Both store bought and homemade popcorn work well.
Butter helps melt the marshmallows. For dairy free, use dairy free butter.
Both mini and jumbo marshmallows work fine. I love Dandie’s vegan marshmallows for this recipe.
Vanilla extract adds a delicious homemade flavor.
Sprinkles add color and fun! Feel free to omit if desired.
Lastly, top the popcorn bars with melted chocolate. Substitute with peanut butter or caramel sauce if desired.
What is Popcorn?
Popcorn is a type of corn kernel that pops when heated.
It is believed to have originated in Mexico thousands of years ago, where it was used in various rituals and ceremonies.
The popcorn we know today became popular in the United States during the 19th century. It has since become a beloved snack around the world.
Popcorn is commonly eaten during movies.
Today, there are many different varieties and flavors of popcorn. Common flavors include kettle corn, white cheddar, butter, caramel, salty and chocolate.
Taste & Texture
Popcorn bars offer a unique combination of crunch and chewiness that is sure to satisfy any snack craving.
The popcorn itself has a light and airy texture. The addition of marshmallows and chocolate creates a chewy, gooey goodness that is simply delicious.
These popcorn bars are sweet, sticky, salty and chocolaty.
How to Make
First, line a 9 inch by 13 inch pan with parchment paper.
Add butter to a stock pot over low medium heat. Once melted, add in the marshmallows and vanilla extract. Continue stirring and cooking until completely melted.
Add in the popcorn. Stir until popcorn is completely coated. Add in half of the sprinkles and stir to combine.
Transfer the mixture to the lined pan. Use a spatula to press down into one even layer.
Drizzle melted chocolate and remaining sprinkles on top.
Allow bars to rest for 10 to 15 minutes to set. Lastly, slice into bars and serve!
Expert Tips & Tricks
Use fresh popcorn. Stale popcorn can result in a flat texture and taste.
Melt the butter and marshmallows together until creamy.
Stir in popcorn until completely coated.
Press bars into an even layer with a spatula. They are very sticky.
Use parchment paper to make cutting the bars easier.
Flavor Variations & Add Ins
Popcorn bars are incredibly versatile and the flavor options are endless.
Try adding different types of candy, like M&M’s or Reese’s Pieces, for a fun and colorful twist.
Experiment with different flavors of popcorn, like caramel or cheddar, to create a unique taste experience.
Add in chopped pecans, walnuts or peanuts to the popcorn mixture.
Drizzle melted chocolate or caramel over the top of your popcorn bars for an extra decadent treat.
For another flavor, drizzle over all natural creamy peanut butter.
How to Serve & Store
Serve popcorn bars once they have set. This takes about 10 minutes.
They are delicious as a snack or dessert!
Make these for birthday parties, kids’ parties, party favors, bake sales and more.
Store the bars covered at room temperature for up to 2 days. They are best eaten immediately.
Do not freeze.
Frequently Asked Questions
These bars can be made up to 48 hours in advance. They are much better tasting and more fresh when eaten immediately.
Sure! Microwave popcorn, homemade popcorn and store bought popcorn all work well.
Feel free to add in peanuts, M&Ms, Reese’s, chopped Oreos, walnuts or pecans. Drizzle peanut butter on top if desired.
Any type of popcorn can be used.
Popcorn is naturally gluten free. Be sure that the popcorn does not contain any added gluten in the form of flavorings.
Sure! Use dairy free butter and vegan marshmallows to make vegan popcorn bars.
Pre-Cut Parchment Paper Sheets: These parchment paper sheets are great for baking! They are pre-cut into the perfect size.
Pyrex 3 Glass Mixing Bowls: These are the best mixing bowls for baking and cooking.
Pyrex Glass Measuring Cups: Use these glass measuring cups to measure out ingredients.
Whisk: Whisk together the butter and marshmallows until fully melted.
Tall Stock Pot: Use this tall stock pot to melt the butter and marshmallows.
9 Inch by 13 Inch Pan: This pan is great for baking!
You May Also Like
- Brownie Bites
- Sugar Cookies with Sprinkles
- Healthy Peanut Butter Balls
- Gluten Free Chocolate Cake
- Mini Cheesecakes
If you make this popcorn bar recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Join my exclusive Facebook Group for a behind the scenes look. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Dessert Recipes.
Get the Recipe: Popcorn Bars
- First, line a 9 inch by 13 inch pan with parchment paper.
- Add butter to a stock pot over low medium heat. Once melted, add in the marshmallows and vanilla extract. Continue stirring and cooking until completely melted.
- Add in the popcorn. Stir until popcorn is completely coated. Add in half of the sprinkles and stir to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to the lined pan. Use a spatula to press down into one even layer.
- Drizzle melted chocolate and remaining sprinkles on top.
- Allow bars to rest for 10 to 15 minutes to set. Then, slice into bars and enjoy!
- Any type of popcorn can be used.
- I recommend not using popcorn that is already too sweet. The marshmallow coating will add additional sweetness.
- For this recipe, I used almost a full 7 ounce bag of Smartfood popcorn.
- The sprinkles and chocolate are totally optional.
- Use parchment paper to help lift the bars out of the pan.
- Store bars covered at room temperature for up to 2 days. After that, the popcorn starts to become stale.
Love these marshmallow popcorn bars? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes and updates!