Healthy Pumpkin Pie
This healthy pumpkin pie has a flaky crust and creamy pumpkin filling! It has the warm and cozy flavors of classic pumpkin pie. This version is lower in sugar and contains no heavy cream, but it is incredibly flavorful. Great for Thanksgiving, Christmas, the holiday season, and more!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This healthy pumpkin pie is quick and easy to make!
- It has a smooth and creamy pumpkin filling.
- The crust is flaky and buttery.
- This pie is made without condensed milk or evaporated milk.
- It is lower in sugar.
- Use a store bought pie crust to save time if needed.
- This pie is just as flavorful as the traditional version, but it is also healthier.
- This recipe is gluten free and nut free.
- Check out this Gluten Free Pumpkin Pie for another delicious holiday favorite!
Ingredients & Substitutes
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for this healthy pumpkin pie. Scroll down to the recipe card for full ingredients list and instructions.
Use a store bought or homemade gluten free pie crust.
Use canned pumpkin purée, not pumpkin pie filling.
Granulated sugar adds sweetness. For refined sugar free, use maple sugar. The filling might be very slightly gritty.
Salt balances out the sweetness.
Warm spices include cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg.
Eggs help bind the filling together. Do not substitute for the eggs. Chia eggs, flax eggs, and vegan eggs will not work.
Canned coconut milk replaces heavy cream for a healthier option. This is usually found in the Asian foods aisle. Shake the can before opening and pouring.
Taste & Texture
This healthy pumpkin pie tastes like regular pumpkin pie! The coconut cream adds a very subtle coconut flavor. Overall, the flavor is warm and cozy.
The crust is flaky while the filling is so creamy!
How to Make
First, preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C).
Place the gluten free pie crust in a 9-inch pie dish. Crimp or decorate the edges if desired.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the pumpkin puree, granulated sugar, salt, ground cinnamon, ground ginger, ground cloves, and ground nutmeg. Mix until well combined.
In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and then add them to the pumpkin mixture. Mix until the eggs are fully incorporated.
Gradually pour in the coconut milk while stirring the mixture continuously. Mix until the filling is smooth and well combined.
Pour the pumpkin filling into the prepared pie crust, spreading it out evenly.
Place the pie in the preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes.
Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F (175°C) and continue baking for an additional 40 to 50 minutes, or until the filling is set and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Once done, remove the pie from the oven and let it cool completely on a wire rack.
Once cooled, refrigerate the pie for at least 2 hours to allow it to set completely.
Serve slices of pumpkin pie chilled and topped with whipped cream if desired!
Expert Tips for Success
Follow these tips and tricks to make the best healthy pumpkin pie recipe.
Use a pre-made pie crust to save you time and effort.
Make sure your pumpkin purée is unsweetened. Some pumpkin puree comes with added sugar, so be sure to check the label.
Do not overmix the filling. Overmixing can make the pie tough.
Bake until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Do not overbake.
Let the pie cool completely before slicing. This will help prevent the filling from running.
Flavor Variations & Add-Ins
Try these fun flavor variations!
Spice it up: Add a pinch of ginger or cloves to the filling for extra flavor.
Add a nutty flavor: Stir in some chopped nuts, such as pecans or walnuts, to the filling.
Make it chocolatey: Add a few tablespoons of cocoa powder to the filling for a chocolate pumpkin pie.
How to Serve & Store
This healthy pumpkin pie can be served at room temperature or chilled.
If desired, top with a dollop of whipped cream! It is also great with vanilla ice cream.
It will keep fresh in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Yes, you can make this pie up to 2 days in advance. Just store it in the refrigerator until you are ready to bake it.
Yes, you can freeze this pie for up to 3 months. Just thaw it in the refrigerator overnight before serving.
Pumpkin pie typically contains a lot of sugar, butter, and processed ingredients. This recipe is much healthier!
Both pumpkin pie and apple pie can be part of a healthy diet, but pumpkin pie is generally considered to be the healthier option. This is because pumpkin pie is lower in calories, fat, and sugar than apple pie. Pumpkin pie is also a good source of fiber and vitamin A.
First of all, this pumpkin pie is gluten free. In addition, it uses canned coconut cream instead of heavy cream.
Pie Plate: This 9-inch pie plate is perfect for this creamy sweet potato pie!
Check out all of my kitchen favorites!
You May Also Enjoy
- Paleo Pumpkin Pie
- The Best Paleo Pie Crust
- Sweet Potato Pie
- Sweet Potato Blondies
- Vegan Snickerdoodles
If you make this healthy pumpkin pie recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out these Gluten Free recipes.
Get the Recipe: Healthy Pumpkin Pie
- First, preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Place the gluten free pie crust in a 9-inch pie dish. Crimp or decorate the edges as desired.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the pumpkin puree, granulated sugar, salt, ground cinnamon, ground ginger, ground cloves, and ground nutmeg. Mix until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and then add them to the pumpkin mixture. Mix until the eggs are fully incorporated.
- Shake the coconut cream can gently to mix. Then, gradually pour in the coconut cream while stirring the mixture continuously. Mix until the filling is smooth and well combined.
- Pour the pumpkin filling into the prepared pie crust, spreading it out evenly.
- Place the pie in the preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F (175°C) and continue baking for an additional 40 to 50 minutes, or until the filling is set and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Once done, remove the pie from the oven and let it cool completely on a wire rack.
- Once cooled, refrigerate the pie for at least 2 hours to allow it to set completely.
- Serve slices of pumpkin pie chilled, topped with whipped cream, for a delicious fall dessert!
- Feel free to use any pie crust recipe. Store bought and homemade both work well.
- The filling mixture will be creamy.
- Use canned coconut cream. Shake the can before using.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow the pie to fully cool then refrigerate before slicing into.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Love this healthy pumpkin pie? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans, exclusive new recipes, and updates!