Dairy Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
These Dairy Free Chocolate Chip Cookies have golden edges and a soft chewy center! They have the perfect texture and taste like a classic chocolate chip cookie. These cookies are truly the best easy dairy free cookies!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- These dairy free chocolate chip cookies are incredibly soft and chewy.
- These one bowl cookies are easy and straightforward.
- The crispy edges are complemented by the warm soft center.
- These chocolate chip cookies without butter are completely dairy free!
- They are bursting with dairy free dark chocolate chips.
- In addition, these cookies are gluten free!
- For a Paleo version, check out these Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Ingredients & Substitutions
Coconut oil is used to keep these cookies dairy free. Use room temperature (slightly softened) coconut oil for best results. For no coconut flavor, use refined coconut oil.
Both brown sugar and granulated sugar sweeten this recipe. Coconut sugar can replace the brown sugar if desired.
Vanilla extract takes cookies from good to great. No substitutions here!
For flour, use gluten free 1 to 1 flour or all purpose flour. Both work well.
A teaspoon of baking soda acts as the leavening agent. I do not recommend using baking powder in its place.
A little bit of sea salt goes a long way! Trust me on this one.
The dairy free dark chocolate chips are insanely delicious. I recommend Enjoy Life dark chocolate chips since they melt well and taste great.
Dairy Free Baking
Classic chocolate chip cookies utilize both butter and chocolate chips, which both contain dairy. These cookies use coconut oil in place of butter and dairy free chocolate chips.
Dairy free baking can be challenging since butter is out of the question. Butter acts as a baking fat when added to baked goods. Coconut oil is a great replacement! It is a heart healthy fat and acts very similarly to butter when baked.
Similarly to butter, the texture and state of the coconut oil is important. For these cookies, use room temperature coconut oil for best results. It should be slightly soft, but nowhere near melted.
How to Make
First, beat together coconut oil, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and vanilla extract.
Add in eggs and beat until creamy.
Then, add in gluten free flour, baking soda, and sea salt. Mix until combined.
Fold in dairy free chocolate chips. Refrigerate dough for at least 1 hour.
When it’s time to bake, preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
Use cookie scoop or ice cream scoop to scoop balls of dough onto lined baking pan. Place balls of dough at least 3 inches apart since these cookies spread.
Bake for 10 to 11 minutes or until edges are golden and middles are set.
Finally, remove from oven. Cool on pan for 5 minutes before removing to a cooling rack.
Expert Tips & Tricks
Use refined coconut oil for a neutral flavor. Unrefined coconut oil has a slight coconut flavor.
The cookie dough will have the same texture and taste as classic cookie dough.
Refrigerating the dough is key to this recipe. It helps the cookies hold together better while baking. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour up to 48 hours.
The longer the dough chills, the more held together the cookies will be.
Use cookie scoop or ice cream scoop to scoop balls of dough.
Spread balls of dough at least 3 inches apart on lined baking pan. These cookies will spread while baking.
Most importantly, do not over bake! Once the middles of cookies are set and no longer gooey, remove from oven.
How to Serve & Store
These cookies are great once slightly cooled from the oven. Hello melty chocolate chips and warm cookies!
Store covered at room temperature for up to 4 days.
Store in fridge for up to 7 days.
Wrap cookies individually and freeze for up to 1 month.
Where to Buy Dairy Free Chocolate Chips
Many grocery stores carry dairy free chocolate chops these days. Stores such as Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, Target, Walmart, and Hannaford carry great options. Here are some of the brands.
ChocZero Dark Chocolate No Sugar Added
Enjoy Life Semi Sweet
Enjoy Life Mini Semi Sweet
Kirkland Semi Sweet
Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate
Enjoy Life Chocolate Chunks
Organic Great Value Dark Chocolate (from Walmart)
Hu Chocolate Baking Gems
Lily’s Dark Chocolate
Nestle Tollhouse Allergen-Free
Organic Good & Gather Dark Chocolate (from Target)
Sprouts Semi Sweet
Trader Joe’s Semi Sweet
Wegman’s Semi Sweet
Frequently Asked Questions
The best substitutes for butter are coconut oil and Vegan butter. For cooking, olive oil or avocado oil is a great replacement.
Regular Nestle chocolate chips are not dairy free, but they did come out with an allergen free chocolate chip which are dairy free.
No, eggs are not dairy. They are not a milk product.
Yes! Chilling the dough is important for these cookies. It helps bind the cookies together.
Substitute Vegan butter or regular butter (if possible) for coconut oil.
You May Also Like
If you make this recipe, I would really appreciate a review! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. I would love for you to follow along! For more ideas, check out this Dairy Free Recipes page.
Get the Recipe: Dairy Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup coconut oil, room temperature
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 ¾ cups gluten free 1 to 1 flour, or all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 ½ cups dairy free chocolate chips
- First, add coconut oil, brown sugar, granulated sugar and vanilla extract to a stand mixer or large bowl. Beat until creamy.
- Add in eggs and beat until combined.
- Add in gluten free flour, baking soda, and sea salt. Stir to combine.
- Then, fold in chocolate chips. Place mixing bowl in fridge for at least 1 hour to chill.
- When it is time to bake, preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Use a cookie scoop or ice cream scoop to scoop balls of dough onto lined baking pan. Place at least 3 inches from each other since these cookies spread.
- Bake for 10 to 11 minutes or until edges of cookie are golden and middles are set.
- Remove from oven. Allow cookies to cool on pan for 5 minutes. Then remove to a wire cooling rack to finish cooling.
- I have not tested this recipe with Vegan butter, but it should work fine.
- Use refined coconut oil for no coconut flavor.
- Gluten free 1 to 1 flour or all purpose flour can be used. I used King Arthur Flour 1 to 1 Gluten Free Flour.
- Dough should resemble normal looking cookie dough.
- Refrigerating the dough allows the dough to bind together. Chill for at least 1 hour, up to 48 hours. The longer the dough chills, the more compact the cookies will be.
- Scoop evenly sized balls of dough to ensure even baking.
- I used an ice cream scoop for larger cookies.
- Bake until edges are golden and middles are just set. Do not over bake!
- These cookies spread quite a bit while baking.
- Store cookies covered at room temperature for up to 4 days.
- Store in fridge for up to 7 days.
- These cookies freeze well! Freeze each cookie wrapped individually.
Love these Dairy Free Chocolate Chip Cookies? You can sign up here to receive healthy meal plans and new recipes!
77 Comments on “Dairy Free Chocolate Chip Cookies”
These dairy free chocolate chip cookies are beyond delicious! My entire family loves them, and we make them often!
These cookies were delicious — you don’t even miss the dairy! The center was perfectly soft and chewy.
These look crazy good!! I can’t wait to give them a try. I’ve never found a dairy free cookie recipe I’ve enjoyed but these look like the unicorn I’ve been searching for!
Love this recipe for my lactose intolerant daughter. I pop them in my air fryer for about 4 minutes and they are perfect!
Love the texture on these!!
Fantastic cookies. Healthy and easy to make. I’m going to bake them today. Can’t wait.
Oooooh I have met a chocolate chip cookie that I haven’t loved – this just looks like another fav! Great idea to use coconut oil. Definitely going to try this recipe!
Your cookies look so good I like how they spread out so nicely. I know what to bake this weekend.
With Father’s Day coming my daughter was looking for a recipe to bake for all her uncles. Did a test run and these were absolutely delicious! Bonus for me too as I’m lactose intolerant so I smashed a few! LOL
This is an excellent recipe! Really great if you’re looking for dairy-free cookies. You won’t miss the butter!
Enjoying these delicious cookies with my morning coffee now – just lovely!
Love that these cookies are dairy free as I have been trying to cut back on my dairy. Plus the sea salt makes these cookies over the top delicious. Great recipe.
Definitely making these for the kids tonight!! Thanks for the recipe!
I love cookies and this is a great dairy-free recipe alternative!
Yum! These are so delicious! I can always use a good DF chocolate chip recipe!
You can never go wrong with a chocolate chip cookie and this dairy free version is no exception. Delish!
I love that these can be both gluten and dairy free which I need. Delicious without compromising on taste or texture! The perfect indulgent snack for everyone.
These look perfect to me! They work perfect with almond meal in place of the flour too.
These cookies are the best! Super sweet and delicious. The perfect homemade cookie!
I love chocolate cookies! and so with my kids.:) And it’s a dairy-free cookie! I can’t wait to try these yummy cookies with my daughter. Thanks!:)