WHOLE30 SWEDISH MEATBALLS
These Whole30 Swedish Meatballs are incredibly flavorful! They melt in your mouth. The extra smooth and creamy gravy is to die for! This easy Whole30 dinner is great for any night of the week. Serve with Whole30 Mashed Potatoes, spaghetti squash or cauliflower rice for a healthy and delicious meal!
HOW ARE SWEDISH MEATBALLS DIFFERENT FROM REGULAR MEATBALLS?
Swedish Meatballs are served in a creamy gravy sauce. In addition, they are often served atop mashed potatoes, unlike traditional meatballs.
ARE THE SWEDISH MEATBALLS AT IKEA GLUTEN FREE?
No, the Ikea Swedish meatballs are not gluten free. All the more reason to make this version!
INGREDIENTS FOR WHOLE30 SWEDISH MEATBALLS
ONIONS: Finely diced onions add the perfect texture and flavor to these Whole30 Swedish Meatballs.
GROUND BEEF: These meatballs are made with ground beef. I order all of my meat from ButcherBox.
ALMOND FLOUR: Along with an egg, almond flour helps bind the meatballs together.
COCONUT AMINOS: Coconut aminos are the soy free and gluten free version of soy sauce. This is added to both the meatballs and the gravy for maximum flavor! I love Big Tree Farms brand.
GRAVY: This smooth and creamy gravy is made with beef broth and coconut cream. The coconut cream makes it super creamy, while the beef broth adds hearty flavor. The tapioca flour thickens the gravy. In addition, the ground mustard, garlic powder and coconut aminos add a punch of flavor.
OTHER INGREDIENTS: ghee, egg, pepper and sea salt
HOW TO MAKE WHOLE30 SWEDISH MEATBALLS
First, add ghee and onion to a skillet and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until tender. Remove onions and add to a mixing bowl. Then, add remaining meatball ingredients and combine.
Form 1 inch meatballs and place in the same skillet you used for the onions. Next, cook on low medium for 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Cook until just browned on all sides.
Then, combine all gravy ingredients in a mixing bowl and pour over meatballs. Bring to a slight boil. Then, simmer for about 10 minutes or until gravy thickens.
Finally, add Whole30 Mashed Potatoes to a bowl or plate and serve alongside meatballs. Drizzle extra gravy on top!
Get the Recipe: Whole30 Swedish Meatballs
- First, add ghee and diced onion into a larges skillet over medium heat. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until tender. Then, remove onions and add to a large mixing bowl.
- Add remaining meatball ingredients to the mixing bowl with onions. Use your hands to combine.
- Next, form 1 to 1.5 inch meatballs. Place each meatball in the same skillet the onions were cooked in.
- Cook on low medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Cook until browned on all sides. Drain excess grease from pan.
- Next, combine all gravy ingredients in a mixing bowl. Pour gravy over meatballs in skillet.
- After that, bring to a slight boil and cook for 10 minutes, until gravy has thickened. If needed, add just a teaspoon more tapioca flour to thicken gravy.
- Finally, serve over mashed potatoes if desired. Drizzle extra gravy on top!
- More tapioca flour will help thicken the gravy if needed.
- Drain excess grease from pan before adding in gravy.
- Cook until gravy has thickened.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- To reheat, add meatballs and gravy to skillet and cook on low until warmed.